Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Living in a thermos bottle

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Default Living in a thermos bottle

It got cold last night, down into the 40s, and our high temp for the day yesterday was mid 60s, will be today too.

I have not turned the heat on, yet the inside temp is sitting on 75f degrees.

I can only suppose that this is residual heat from the refrigerator, which is the only appliance operating at this time, and the hot water heater, which is located in a space in the center of the house.

Makes me glad I insulated the crap out of this place when I rebuilt.

Probably time to seal up the windows and prep the pipes and such for the first freeze.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

82 here. And about 100 percent humidity.

What is this thing called freeze of which you speak?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Get a glass.....go to fridge, stick under ice make "thing"...push....the cube (or whatever) come down....and make the drink cold....
    Now close you eyes and imagine the lake made out of the same stuff........for Free!

A "frost" is just a taste of the cube.... telling you....It's coming>>>>>>
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    What is this thing called freeze of which you speak?
    You guys can't fool me! You get cold down there, it just does not last as long as up here.

I nearly froze my butt off in Tampa, at the Alifia rondy the last week of January back in 2012! Nights in the 20s, days not above 65.

I was not mentally ready for that!

In 49 years in the greater Fort Lauderdale area. One night hit 29 degrees.

I don't consider it cold until the humidity freezes !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    You guys can't fool me! You get cold down there, it just does not last as long as up here.

I nearly froze my butt off in Tampa, at the Alifia rondy the last week of January back in 2012! Nights in the 20s, days not above 65.

I was not mentally ready for that!
    That one was cold. The wet floor in the hooters in the morning soaked my mocs.

When the talk come around to "being off the grid, solar, wind and hydro power....
    Most people will get much more benefit from an energy audit......then up grade the weak spots....., insulation, windows, doors .......and appliances....Before spending money on gear and gizmos.

Energy......Easier to save it, rather than make it.

I agree.

I am sitting here in the house with an outside temp of 59 and drizzling rain. Inside temp is 73 and the only heat I have used today was the big eye of the stove being turned on for cooking breakfast.

I have a window fan running to cool things down a bit.

Back in June I realized that I was wasting a great amount of power on my hot water needs. I live alone and washing dishes once a day and taking a shower does not really mandate a supply of 160 degree hot water round the clock. I dialed the heater back to 120 and added a timer. The HWH holds temp for 24 hours without problem so I still have hot water round the clock. My power bill was reduced by $15 a month in July, August and Sept. Paid for the timer by month two.

That is an annual saving of 6,000 primers, or 10 pounds of powder or a half case of AK ammo!
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 10-01-2016 at 02:55 PM.

We have a slide in camper that will make your ears pop when you slam the door. The heater and the AC will run you out if left on too long. It was built in Canada. I don't know why I added that. Anyway sealed seams and conserving energy is the way to go.

You know you are a survivalist when you count your savings in primers and powder.

Now this is working against me at this point!

I woke this morning to find the temps at 67 outdoors and 63 inside! It has been down in the 40s every night and now I am retaining cold instead of heat!

This is the time of year when I wind up with the heat on at night and the AC on in the afternoon.

So I need to bring long pants to the Jamboree?

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    So I need to bring long pants to the Jamboree?
    Maybe just put on the shirt......?

Does get chilly that time of year around there.....
    Few years back at an earlier Jamboree, I saw Kyrat show up with a propane bottle on the bumper luggage carrier....Then sitting out side the tent.
    Thought, "Oh, Oh"...glad I brought blankets.
    Last edited by hunter63; 10-10-2016 at 09:12 PM.

Yes there will be propane heaters in use! It was 43 degrees here last night.

I usually bring my extra large zero bag for any October event and an extra blanket just in case.

You might not need long pants but you would probably be advised to bring socks.

You will need a jacket for sitting around the fire at night too.

Crash times the event so he can get his autumn color and cold weather fix for the year. He is originally from Yankee land and has to remind himself why he left once a year.

I don't know Kyratshooter, living in a thermos sounds pretty good to me. At least better than a freezer. We recently got back from the semi-annual supply run just in time to enjoy two snow storms this past week which gave us a couple inches each. We were lucky since the forecast was for considerably more. But the ground and trees are covered and it's way too soon for this nonsense.

Wed and Thurs might see highs of upper 20's and lows around 15. Winter is showing up early this year. Only once have we seen the lake frozen over by the end of October and this might be another one of those years. We'll see. Enjoy those balmy temperatures you have while you can.
    Off Grid and Free-My Path to the Wilderness Available on Amazon www.inthewilderness.net

When I read the title of your post this is what I pictured in my head: thermos.jpg

Kevin Koeven
    Staying Alive Comedy

Twitter: @stayingalivetv
    Instagram: @stayingalivetv
    facebook: Staying Alive Comedy

youtube.com/stayingalivecomedy

LOL. Well if it gets in the low 40's I might break out the synth pile and a Hudson blankey. I don't think the dog soldiers will be checking for "period correct". Plus I have a 50 # heatalator.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

We were younger and lighter back then.

Banned

Back in the early 70's I sent relatives in Worcester Mass. a X-mass card with a tiny (1 inch X 1 inch) bit of Hawaiian white sand. I wrote that they should warm the sand to 85 degrees and relax on it. Wished they were here.

The next year they sent me an X-mas card with a sandwich bag filled with water. Their instructions told me to place it in the freezer until it became hard and sit on it. They wished I was there.