Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chiles for chili!

Banned

Default Chiles for chili!

About the only ingredient that chili can't be made without is chiles.
    From the basic recipe of cutting 1 inch cubes of meat, adding 1 chile pepper per piece of meat, covering the lot with last night's coffee, bring it to a boil and simmer until it's soft enough to chew.
    Now I'm sure that everyone has thier own favorite recipe for chili. So feel free to share. You can add as many or as few as you like. No ingredient list is to long or to short. Beef chili,turkey chili, Cincinnati chili, chili-getty, vegetarian chili, squirrel chili, etc etc....
    So from lowest Scoville sweet bell pepper to flame throwing pure capsaicin, if you like it and make it, Please share the recipe! Thank You.

Banned

Most every area has wild peppers, onions, and even garlic so it's generally acceptable to toss onion and garlic into the chili pot. So that brings us to the first questionable chili ingredient: Cumin. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cumin A spice native from the east Mediterranean to Pakistan/India. How did that ever get into chili? But it will be hard to find any modern prepackaged chili powder/mix without it. Even many of the "Original" Texas Chili recipes include cumin.
    A few chile pepper varieties:
    New Mexican
    Anaheim
    Poblano
    Pasilla
    Cherry
    Guajillo
    Jalapeno
    Serrano
    De Arbol
    Cayenne
    Piquin/Tepin
    Habanero

I'm sure I left a few out, so if there are any indigenous to your area that you make chili with please include them.

Round here we got one called the Datil pepper, makes a wonderful ingredient in Minorcan chili. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datil_pepper
    Last edited by M118LR; 09-30-2016 at 07:23 PM. Reason: local pepper

Here is my my chili recipe when I don't feel like doing a ton of prep work and cooking:

One Hour Chili

ingredients:
    1 lb of ground meat ( I use venison or 1/2 lb venison and 1/2 lb chorizo)

chipolte peppers in adoboe sauce( 1 pepper with a TBS of adoboe sauce crushed into a paste)

1 14 0z can low sodium petite diced tomatoes ( undrained)

1 15.9 oz can of beans drained and rinsed ( choose your favorite bean)

1 20-24 oz jar of mild salsa. ( Great Value is a good cooking salsa)

1.25 0unces of chili seasoning:

1 TBS chili powder
    1 tsp oregano
    1 tsp ground cumin
    7 tsp garlic powder
    1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
    1/2 tsp onion powder
    ( I came up with this mixture to avoid salt where possible.There is enough salt in the other
    ingredients without adding more to the seasoning. I reccomend table seasoning to taste
    with garlic salt and black pepper. The combined measurements will make more chili seasoning
    than you need for this recipe in the quantities I have listed. It's almost enough for 2 batches.
    You can add other things to it if you want.)

On medium heat in a 3 quart pot, brown meat together and drain fat.

Add chipolte pepper/adoboe sauce paste and chili seasoning and cook for 1-2 minutes

Add salsa and tomatoes

Add a 1/2 cup of water or beef broth.

Turn up heat and bring to boil.

Add rinsed beans and turn heat down to a simmer.

Allow to simmer, covered, for 25 minutes.

Let stand uncovered for 5-10 minutes.

If you can resist the urge to have a big bowl right away you will find it tastes even
    better the next day. Re-heated of course.
    Serve with corn chips.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

My recipe,

Go to store
    Buy big can of Armor chili
    Go home
    Place chili in bowl
    Add big spoonful of hot salsa
    Put big chunk of Velveeta cheese on top
    Heat in microwave
    Add salt and pepper
    Stir with spoon and eat
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

oh man. Canned chili and Velveeta? Takes me back to early married years on a splurge night.

Banned

Chili No Beans: Meat ingredients (beef and pork), water, tomato puree (water, tomato paste), rolled oats, chili pepper, textured soy flour, contains less than 2% of: salt, sugar, spices, garlic powder, soy lecithin, caramel color, sodium phosphate.

Lentil Vegetable Chili:
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 large onion
    3 cloves garlic pressed
    4 scallions chopped
    1 red bell pepper chopped
    1 green bell pepper chopped
    1 large carrot peeled and diced
    28 oz can pureed tomatoes
    2 medium dried ancho chile peppers (stemmed and deseeded)
    1 small chipotle chile pepper (stemmed and deseeded)
    8 oz lentils
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    2 teaspoons dried oregano
    white pepper
    cayenne pepper
    salt
    1 cup water

Saute the onion, garlic, scallions,carrot, red and green bell peppers in the olive oil until onion is translucent. Add tomatoe puree and the stemmed deseeded chile peppers. Bring to a simmer add one cup water. Add lentils, cumin, and oregano. Cook for 20 minutes or until the lentils are soft. Add salt, white pepper, and cayenne pepper to taste.

I like the Campbell's Firehouse Chili. Straight up with no cheese.
    Wilderness Survival:

Just a little piece of advice.....

.......if you decide to make your own chili powder (As per Alton Browns recipe.), DO NOT HEAT DRIED CHILIES INDOORS !!!!!

Yes.....I learned that one the hard way. LOL
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Hey! Where have you been?! Good to see you and the mule!

Quote Originally Posted by 2dumb2kwit View Post
    Just a little piece of advice.....

.......if you decide to make your own chili powder (As per Alton Browns recipe.), DO NOT HEAT DRIED CHILIES INDOORS !!!!!

Yes.....I learned that one the hard way. LOL
    ....and when using dried chilies....let them cook a bit and hydrate before adding more because it seem to taste hot enough ...Yet.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Yea, we really missed the mule!

Welcome back.

As for the chilli???

After eating a slice of pizza for supper last night and taking OTC meds for hours afterwards, and almost deciding it was not indigestion but that I was about to join Hunter63 in the ER.

I have decided to forgo the custom made chilli and stick to some nice chicken soup or a bit of stew.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 10-02-2016 at 04:22 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Nothing like mother's home made stew for a cold. However, that forces the making of cornbread and a nice side salad. Dang, now I need supper again.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I've been busy, trying to abuse and keep in line a certain yankee lawyer. LOL

(And by the way........he really, really likes this song.)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ubTQfr_tyY
    Last edited by 2dumb2kwit; 10-02-2016 at 07:05 PM.
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

I kinda like that song. ( I never though Florida was a southern state, either. It's just sorta ...there)
    Wilderness Survival:

Banned

This is what happens when you let the Great Unwashed rewrite thier own history. BBQ, just like chili was a Spanish meal. The Spanish absconded BBQ from the Caribbean and brought it to Florida's sunny shores Long before the commonly held myths of BBQ styles (and chili) even began in the British concept of America. Here is the Sunday school question: what State was the birthplace of both Presidents during the War of Northern Aggression (Civil War, if Y'all are of Yankee Heritage) ?

Go ahead and skool them kyratshooter! (is that slang for Kentucky Rat Shooter?) Ever heard of the spot between possum trot and monkeys eyebrow?

"Who was Jefferson Davis and where was he born?
    Jefferson Davis was born in Fairview, Kentucky-- a small town 9 miles east of Hopkinsville. Fairview, Kentucky is approximately 100 miles southwest from Abraham Lincoln’s birthplace. He was born on June 3, 1808, less than a year earlier than Abraham Lincoln.
    Both men were president at the same time: Jefferson Davis for the Confederate States of America and Abraham Lincoln for the United States of America.
    Jefferson Davis can serve as a good example of the difficult choices southerners who were loyal members of the Union faced when the South succeeded. Jefferson Davis was a West Point graduate, served in the United States Congress as a representative of the state of Mississippi, was a member of the Senate Military Affairs Committee, and served as Secretary of War during the Franklin Pierce administration. Here is a man who was a prominent elected official of the United States, yet left the service of his country to serve in the Confederate government." https://www.nps.gov/abli/learn/news/...-questions.htm

BBQ & Chili. both of Spanish Origin within America.
    Last edited by M118LR; 10-02-2016 at 09:27 PM.

True chili has no beans..........

http://masdixpod.tripod.com/masdixpod/whyno.htm

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    True chili has no beans..........

http://masdixpod.tripod.com/masdixpod/whyno.htm

Nope, if'n ya want beans ya put em in a bowl next to your chili!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by shiftyer1 View Post
    Nope, if'n ya want beans ya put em in a bowl next to your chili!!!!
    "On the border"

Banned

Beans are less expensive and easier to ship than meat, so it was just economics that started the army to adding beans to chili. So true chili aficionados and those in cook off contests will not have beans in thier chili. But chili was made to be adaptable. Chili over: rice, spaghetti, french fries, nachos, hot dogs, hamburgers, etc. etc...

But I have found that many of the Strip/Sirloin/Rib-eye recipes for chili which include (frijoles negros) black beans either with or without dark red kidney beans are pretty good. And pinto beans make white chili recipes go allot further.

This is a stew we eat regularly.

Brown one lb of 90% ground beef.
    Mix a tablespoon or two of beef base or bullion in two cups of water.
    When burger is browned deglase the pan with the water. Continue to cook on medium high heat.

Chop 1 1/2 or 2 lbs of green chili roasted, peeled, and seeded, new mexico type, with 6 gloves of garlic. Chop well. Then add the chili to the meat and and a quart of water. Bring to a boil then turn heat to simmer.

Chop up two large potatoes diced about a half inch or smaller. Chop onion fine. Add both.

Last add a can of corn, can of pinto beans, and a stick of butter. Add water to cover everything, Check of salt, add with pepper if needed. Cook until potatoes are soft.

We serve it with a tortilla, topped with cheese, tomato, and an over easy egg.
    Last edited by Orbean; 10-03-2016 at 05:46 PM.