Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chiles for chili!

Chili was an Aztec word for the chile pepper. The Spanish adopted the dish and called it chili con carne. If there was a dish with meat already as its main ingredient, why say meat dish (chili) with meat?

My son makes a chili with steak cut into cubes and canned tomato chunks, several types of chiles and other seasonings. Served over white rice. Chili con arroz no chili con carne y arroz! LOL

Now them Texans boasting that they invented BBQ and that it is a smoked brisket? Well a boastful Texan you say? Never heard of such a thing!

The word Barbacoa is from Arawak indians in the Caribbean and Timucua Indians in Florida a frame for drying meat. And the word became used for a method of dressing and cooking pork. So, the Texans are a little late to the table to be claiming they invented BBQ and that is beef.

As for was Florida a southern state? It was the 3rd state to join the Confederacy after only 15 years of statehood. War with the Seminoles had just ceased fighting a few years earlier. But, Florida was very much a frontier and was the least populated state in the War of Northern Aggression. Just prior to the war people in Georgia and other southern states migrated to Florida to avoid the war. Though they were often forced into conscription for the confederate cause.

At some point, I have read, that Florida's population was 82% people who's family had migrated from Georgia.

Banned

Not to mention that the Aztec & Mayans both had outposts in Georgia,

But as we speak I swirl a simmering crock pot of cubed shoulder beef, (chuck) datil peppers, onions, and garlic that I call Chili! Many shall not be able to consume more than a mouthful on Friday. But as the purest form of Chile con Carne (Columbus times) I have no troubles serving it to today's affectionadoes.

One pound of peppers per pound of beef, a large chopped onion, a head of garlic minced, cover it with coffee from last nights camp and you have Chili!
    Last edited by M118LR; 10-21-2016 at 06:18 PM. Reason: on vice of

I would have thrown up in my mouth a little but it would have burned too bad.

Banned

Once again returning with an empty crock pot, why is it that folks find it hard to believe that chuck-wagon cooks used left over coffee in chili? The peppers you select can match your taste-buds Rick. 1/3 Red Bell, 1/3 Yellow Bell, 1/3 Green Bell. There you go, mildest chili ever made. If you stay at or below the Serrano level, mixing in lower scoville unit peppers, most folks can enjoy the flavor. But around this neck of the woods, folks savor the flavor of the local datil pepper.
    Last edited by M118LR; 10-21-2016 at 06:38 PM.

I thought it was some practical joke the day I found out that some people consider linguini a vital ingredient in chili.

Though I'd consider it a different dish...that some pasta or noodles aren't an intrinsic part of a bowl of chili...I now consider what I guess I'd call "chili pasta" a yummy idea.
    Last edited by WalkingTree; 10-22-2016 at 02:56 AM.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

There is chili mac.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Chili dogs?......I like chili dogs
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTree View Post
    I thought it was some practical joke the day I found out that some people consider linguini a vital ingredient in chili.

Though I'd consider it a different dish...that some pasta or noodles aren't an intrinsic part of a bowl of chili...I now consider what I guess I'd call "chili pasta" a yummy idea.
    Chili-ghetti, chili + spaghetti.

Mixed Dr. Mcgillicuddy with margarita mix once.....(out of tequila)......
    Called it a Dr. Margaret

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Mixed Dr. Mcgillicuddy with margarita mix once.....(out of tequila)......
    Called it a Dr. Margaret
    As long as you got it down, we can call it chili. I can be highbrow, but I've been down and dirty,it's all chili in the end.
    Last edited by M118LR; 10-22-2016 at 09:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by M118LR View Post
    As long as you got it down, we can call it chili. I can be highbrow, but I've been down and dirty,it's all chili in the end.
    True Dat......and it depends how hungry you are......

If chili don't make you phart, it isn't any good

Banned

If a chili phart don't make you squirm, it ain't packed with enough of a burn.
    (Famous quote: Come on ice cream)