Thread: Handi-Rifle trigger??

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Default Handi-Rifle trigger??

First of all let me say that the Handi-rifle I own does not have a trigger, it has a hammer release device projecting from the bottom of the frame.

This device was engineered with the intent of making me appear much less sane that I actually am. I was very upset when I got home from the range "but I'm feeling much better now".

First of all the device does not have a measurable "trigger pull". I have measured the pressure needed to release the hammer retention device and it is always amazing. On one pull the measurement is #2. Now I could live with that, but on the next pull the measurement is #6. The next pull is #3 and the one after that might be #12.

I could take it apart and fix it, I suppose, but in their haste to make shooters go nuts the H&R people developed one of the most difficult actions to disassemble and reassemble that the world has seen other than an Iver Johnson or pre-war Colt Woodsman.

On top of that this linkage goes to that linkage and it trips this other thing and the hammer hits something else and that thing moved up and down and the gun eventually goes boom! So the hammer does not touch the sear, or the trigger, or the firing pin.

I am considering packing this thing full of valve grinding compound and dry firing it about 1,000 times. Maybe that would at least smooth it out a bit!

The whole issue is that H&R is still making a trigger mechanism fit for a $29.95 single shot shotgun, but they are putting it on a $350+- rifle.

Very irritating.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 09-27-2016 at 06:31 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

That's a common complaint......used to addressed with a factory repair order......obviously no long available.
    Lots of stuff at GBO including this long video........

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/hr-cent...e-read!!!****/

Half the way down are the trigger discussions...including the working-in non-invasive....method.

Some of mine are kinda stiff....but never really measured them.

The first Handi project.....(and the receiver I shoot most often)..I had ordered 10 barrels......and I had asked about the trigger work.
    Was told mine was #5 or so....and I have found that pretty smooth....
    Last edited by hunter63; 09-27-2016 at 06:55 PM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

H&R was actually the very first inventor of the Rube Goldberg Machine. I've heard, but don't quote me on this, that Rube Goldberg came up with the idea after making the mistake of pulling the trigger assembly out of an H&R .32 revolver. Reassembly invariable starts with OMG and goes quickly downhill from there. By the time you take it to a gunsmith you will have exhausted all foul words you know and will have even made up a few.

Bingo......That's about it.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

That is why most gunsmiths have that famous sign in their shops.

Shop rate $25 minimum

$50 if you worked on it first

$75 if it is in a bread sack or cigar box
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Actually the good part of swapping barrels on the same action....means the trigger pull is always the same.....
    Easy to get use to....
    The 1st project was a .243.....and has 11 more barrels.....from .22lr .270 to 12 ga to .410.