Thread: More Learning the hard way.

Tool & Die Maker

Default More Learning the hard way.

Out to the shooting range today, I'm shooting the 300 Blackout at a target about 80 yards away and it appears the Barska red dot sight has lost "0" again. A couple of weeks ago it was shooting way right and today it is shooting way left. I figure, Ok the Barska Red dot sight needs to go and I need to make sure the backup flip up sights are on "0". It is shooting a little right so I adjust the sight a couple of clicks to the left. I fire 2 test rounds and check through my new Emarth spotting scope and the condition is worse. I adjust again and the condition is even worse yet. By this time I'm out of ammo. I'm home looking over the 300 Blackout and decide to remove the upper receiver and the bolt and attempt to sight through the bore. Never did that before but was easier than I expected. Sure enough the flip up sight was way off so I adjusted so the sights agreed with the view through the bore. I'm thinking, what is going on here?

Hours later it dawned on me the flip up sight adjustment must have reversed logic yet that didn't make sense either. Hours later, I got it, I mounted the rear sight backwards???

Well, it is dark outside now so I'll bore sight the flip up sight in the morning.

I sure do make simple things complicated.
    Last edited by jim Glass; 09-26-2016 at 06:36 AM.

Yeah, but it takes talent to do that. At least that's my story. Anybody can do it right the first time, but where's the fun in that.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Tool & Die Maker

My lack of experience with rifles is pretty amazing. I remember during the build I slapped those flip up sights on real quick to call the rifle project complete. I see now the witness marks were on the front instead of toward the rear where the shooter could see them. But I'm rather upbeat on sighting in through the rifle bore. I figured I would need a laser bore sight for that.

Goethe said, "By seeking and blundering we learn." I have a whole lot of blunders under my belt. I figure there has to be at least one thing I'm pretty smart at by now given that many blunders.

Lessons learned by past blunders are lesson learn well......Hopefully....LOL
    It's a good thing as we get older we have more time and can afford it better.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Just remember that with the AR platform your line of sight is high over the bore. The point where the bullet path and your sights meet is at about 37 yards.

You can use any distance to set the windage but the elevation can be a bit tricky.

Now if you are like me you can put two dots on the back wall and aim down the hall. The top dot is where you adjust the sights and the bottom dot is where you aim the bore.

It puts me on the paper most times.

The neighbor also was nice enough to nail one of those fancy wooden paintings of a quilt square on the side of their shed. Four leaf clover with a black dot in the middle. Makes an excellent bore sighting point.

If it were not raining here I would be at the range myself.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?