Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OMG I'm out

Default OMG I'm out

decided to take a 32 smith and wesson long with me on a walk today. I haven't fooled with it for a number of years. Searched and searched for ammo, could not find any, anywhere. Finally found a dozen or so rounds. I know I have a few boxes around here. Found a box of 32 colt, 32acp, 32-20 but no 32 s&w. Made a frantic phone call to the daughter, she is at a gunshop a few towns away. Hopefully they will have a box. I'm so ashamed.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

I'll bet you have some squirreled away someplace. Keep looking - you'll find them.......along with about a dozen other things you forgot you had.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

You could have used the .32 Colt or the .32acp in the S&W long with no problem at all.

That pistol will use S&W .32 long and short, .32 long and short Colt and .32acp.

.32 calibers were my first attempt at replacing the .22 with something reloadable.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I have several boxes of 32 acp. I do shoot 32 acp in it but tend to stick with the 32 s&w longs, figuring there is less of a bullet jump from the cylinder to the throat.

Krat, what did you decide on for a .22 replacement?
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Randy......when you do get a new box from somewhere.........you will find the old stuff when you "put the new stuff away"....
    Got some .32 s&w longs around somewhere for the 1895 Nagant Revolver....will take .32 shorts and .32 H7R. Mag as well.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

When I find it, it will be a good thang lol. How does the 32 h&r mag shoot in the nagant?

Lower power, bulges the cases a bit....not really re-loadable
    Shoot as good as the repop imported stuff....Serbia I think
    Like this..
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...unds?a=1584507

Fiocchi shoot better and is a hotter load...or seems so......been a while since I played with it....but I see ammo prices for it.... are down from about 3 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    Krat, what did you decide on for a .22 replacement?
    Depends on what day it is!

I shoot a lot of reloaded cast bullet .38spl in both revolvers and from the .357 barrel of my Handi-rifle. My .38 reloads are more accurate than 99% of the .22lr ammo on the market and smack a 158gn bullet into the subject of their attention at 1200fps out of the rifle, about 875+- out of a pistol so I do not worry about power level for the game in question. I went to that setup with an illuminated scope during the "Great Raccoon War of 2014" during the chicken raids.

I also shoot a good bit of reloaded .223 using a 55gn cast bullet at about 1500fps. I never have been able to get the .223 reloads to shoot as accurately as the .38spl but they are still adequate and shoot into about 1 1/2" @50yards. I shoot them out of a single shot Rossi I have set up just for the cast bullet reloads.

Just to add to the post, I have several pistols modified to shoot off caliber ammo, 9mm out of .38spl, .380 out of .38spl, .38S&W and .38/200 out of .38spl and the ever present capability of .357 magnum to chamber .38 super and 9mm Largo/Bergman
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 09-25-2016 at 08:41 PM.

"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.--Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government."

~~Declaration of Independence

I do believe the OMG comment was a wee bit of tongue in cheek. Randy could probably arm several small countries if needed........well, had it not been for that dreadful canoe ... I mean ... container ship accident.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I usually keep a few rounds for every firearm I have. I can get nearly anything online (except 30-40 krag brass) but if I'm in a hurry the closest gun shop that has it is 45 miles away. It takes a least 3 days for delivery if ordered on line.

Banned

The Older I get the more I figure out that I find things in the last place I look? But I seem to be picking up a bad habit of running low on Old Reliable hunting rifle rounds. (IE might only have 45 rounds of 30-30 hanging around) Seem's that I keep stocking up on calibers that match rifles with scopes attached. Is this age induced??

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    I usually keep a few rounds for every firearm I have. I can get nearly anything online (except 30-40 krag brass) but if I'm in a hurry the closest gun shop that has it is 45 miles away. It takes a least 3 days for delivery if ordered on line.
    Lists assembled ammo but once you fire it you have brass XD

http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/rifle/30-40/
    "But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.--Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government."

~~Declaration of Independence

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I do believe the OMG comment was a wee bit of tongue in cheek. Randy could probably arm several small countries if needed........well, had it not been for that dreadful canoe ... I mean ... container ship accident.
    I think it is very irresponsible of Randy to run out of ammo. After all he is guarding the north sector and the Canadians could slip through at any moment. We have fought 5 wars with those guys and they kicked our butts in at least one of them. He should be fully stocked at all times, especially with government issue ammo like 30-40.

If I had known you needed 30-40 I would have picked some up the other day at the gun show. I remember picking up a zip lock bag of the stuff and wondering who I knew that would need some,

I promise to do better in the future. It's not that I need 30/40 krag brass but more is better.

Quote Originally Posted by druid View Post
    Lists assembled ammo but once you fire it you have brass XD

http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/rifle/30-40/
    I checked the links but all are out of stock even though the link says in stock. Gunbroker has 30-40 brass now and then, it runs 2 dollars a round for new. Never thought I would see the day.

I think you have to draw the line somewhere. You can't keep a "stockpile" of everything and for some calibers a box or two should be considered "enough".

I have that attitude about many of my favorite calibers, since they are intended for low volume hunting when I simply want to use that particular gun on some nice fall weekend in the deer woods. A couple of boxes is all you need for hunting insurance and I remember back when I was young and broke when I had only the 5 rounds in the rifle I was carrying on many hunts.

After all, us "woodsmen" are only supposed to need the one shot, right?

Hunting ammo........
    Mostly use .270,. 7 mm Mag, 45/70 and 300wsm .......for deer hunting.....100 rds. "New Factory" for each........and all the reloaded brass I have ever shot....with various loads.
    Maybe 300 or so rds. each +/-

Each other calibers (a LOT) 20 rds. min. stashed....but if they are gonna be taken out and used 40 rds. additional.
    Old Milsup 7.62 X 54r and 7.62 X 39....Spam cans ....lots.

.223 plenty + reloads
    Antiques and special......several 100 rds. and always looking for a Good deal on more.....38/55, .225 Win, .35 rem round nose.....

Not gonna count pistol stuff here.....

Pistol rounds you don't count.

You weigh the bucket on the bathroom scale. When it goes below 10 pounds you set up the loading machine and cast some bullets.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

LMAO!!! Brass and lead Poundage.