Thread: tinplate

Default tinplate

In search of tin plate for tinware. I can find small pieces for sale but would like to buy something bigger than 10 by 10 inches. Many years ago a old hardware gave me a bunch of rotary machines for seaming and forming. Old machines like pexto, whitney and such. Been wanting to dabble with making a few things. I have lots of galvanized steel sheets but want tinplate.

My googlefu is weak, any thoughts?
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Try these and see if you like anything.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...heets+for+sale

I've checked those, need a piece bigger than 10 by 10 inches. Would like to find some sheets 3'x8' or 4'x8'. I think I'll check with my sheetmetal supplier. They can get me copper sheets, maybe they can get me tinplate.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

You will probably have to contact some of them and obtain a quote. Some of those guys are big producers. I'm sure they have sheets will over 10" X 10".

that's what it's looking like. Was hoping to find a small supplier, I doubt those big guys will want to fool with a small customer like myself. That's been my experience.

Do you have a steel or metal distributor in your area? They might be able to order it for you.

That's what I'm thinking. I'm going to snoop around on some tinsmithing forums. Surely there are some small users there that can point me in the right direction.

Are you planning on tin plating something? You can buy ingots of Tin on Ebadboy, but I think to tin plate you need to copper plate it first.

Long time since I put my "I was almost" a Chemical Engineer.

Rancher

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

You might try inside the craft.

These folks make some big items that require larger pieces than 10'x10' so they might enlighten you to their source if you contact them.

http://www.hotdiptin.com/

I used to know several good tinsmiths but they have all passed over the years. I still have a lot of their work hanging on the walls as decoration. Sitting here looking at a wash-pan with a 14" diameter base as I type.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by cow_rancher View Post
    Are you planning on tin plating something? You can buy ingots of Tin on Ebadboy, but I think to tin plate you need to copper plate it first.

Long time since I put my "I was almost" a Chemical Engineer.

Rancher
    Not sure but don't think you need to copper plate anything.

We used to "tin" wire....was a hot dip process....on high carbon bare steel wire.....was acid and alkaline washed to clean prior to dipping on the fly....run the wire thru a dip pot.
    Melting point is like 450 degrees F +/-

Also did a Tin over zinc product for Harley Davidson control cables (we made some assemblies)......couldn't use the acid and alkaline as it already had zine on it.....so cleaned the zinc plated wire with R-11 refrigerant....it is a liquid in an refrigerated open tank under 73 degrees.....

So you "could" dip your own....be really expensive......Never Mind....dumb idea....

Carry on.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

thanks for the replies. Sheet iron can be tinned, as can sheet copper. I have thought about tinning my own sheet iron but I only have so much time to play so I'm trying to save some time. I'll give hotdiptin a try, thought about asking a place like that but figured they would be tight lipped, worried about competition and all that jazz. LOL

Here is a source.
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#tin/=14e5w0h

They are always the first place I look.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Several years ago there was a product available that allowed one to paint the surface of sheet metal and then run a propane torch over the underside to melt the mixture and obtains a tinned surface.

It has been 20 years since I read that so I doubt such a specialized product is still available.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?