Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ships-Carpentry-Broad Axe.

Banned

Default Ships-Carpentry-Broad Axe.

Probably the most famous use of the ships carpentry broad ax was when it was used as a song prop in the Movie "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bscUCGaAERw

But the good folks at Council tools still offer a nice one for those folks that like to cut notches woodsmen style. http://counciltool.com/shop/broad-ax...wooden-handle/

Perhaps I'm the only one still crazy enough to have purchased and used specialty axe's since the turn of the Millennium? But thier is something comforting in "The Lore and Science of the Woodcutter" which is plagiarized from "THE AX BOOK" by D. Cook. https://www.amazon.com/Ax-Book-Lore-.../dp/0911469168

So I was just wondering how many have seen, or used either style of broad ax or ships carpentry ax?

A little info via wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadaxe

Anyone else read or own a copy of "The AX BOOK"?

I don't. But maybe I should. It looks like a great resource. I have also never used a specialty axe. I'll add it to the list.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    I don't. But maybe I should. It looks like a great resource. I have also never used a specialty axe. I'll add it to the list.
    A splitting maul or swamping ax is also a specialty ax, so I'm sure that thier are many that have used specialty axes and don't even realize it. I can't begin to explain how much traditional woodsman knowledge is documented in "THE AX BOOK", from hanging an ax-head to BTU's from various wood sources, even methods to avoid common injuries from misuse of the basic tools of the woods. It's a worthwhile read. JMHO.

Notice the ax listed is a center bevel .....guess I used to seeing broad axes bevel on one side only......different use.

Cool stuff.... Thanks
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I have used a splitting maul for that purpose. Other than that....
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Banned

The single bevel broad ax of which you mention hunter63 is used for square hewing timbers, sort of like an adze. A splitting maul has an extra thick cheek area and the pole usually resembles a mallet, which makes it work well for wedge driving.

Quote Originally Posted by M118LR View Post
    The single bevel broad ax of which you mention hunter63 is used for square hewing timbers, sort of like an adze. A splitting maul has an extra thick cheek area and the pole usually resembles a mallet, which makes it work well for wedge driving.
    What do you use to work the other side on the log?

roll the log or start from the other end
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Banned

What was front to back becomes back to front on the other side hunter63. Just keep the blade swinging outside of your frontal zone. Remember that there is four sides to every square timber, it only matters how you address it. Hope this clears that up for you. But you have four surfaces that need to be squared, and only one direction to surface them. Logs turn.

Never roll the log while you are standing on it. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by M118LR View Post
    What was front to back becomes back to front on the other side hunter63. Just keep the blade swinging outside of your frontal zone. Remember that there is four sides to every square timber, it only matters how you address it. Hope this clears that up for you. But you have four surfaces that need to be squared, and only one direction to surface them. Logs turn.
    Not when they are already on a log wall......
    Have a right and a left flat bevel hatchet.......to work corners.....

"Right-Hand and Left-Hand Axes",
    http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/g...dbroadaxe.aspx
    And
    "The Broad Axe has three options for the angle of the handle. The Broad Axe handle is attached straight as standard, with the blade parallel to the handle. However, the axe can also be ordered with the blade angled to the right (right-angled) or to the left (left-angled). With an angled handle, the handle and your hands remain at a distance from the timber, thereby minimising the risk of personal injury. To determine whether the axe is right- or left-angled, hold the axe with the head up and the handle down, with the poll facing you. If the edge leans to the right, the axe is right-angled and if it leans to the left it is left-angled."

https://www.gransforsbruk.com/en/pro...xe-model-1900/

Only found on pic.....
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

But if you look at the head....looks like could remove handle and insert up side down....reversing the beveled side

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Could fin anything that would confirm my theory......but I do have both a right and left.....one is at "The Place.
    Last edited by hunter63; 10-19-2016 at 10:36 PM.

Broad axes, adzes, draw knives, hand planes, lathe turning tools, scraping spuds, scrapers used in place of sand paper, chisels, carving tools etc...can't think of a carpentry tool that doesn't have a beveled blade.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Yep Hunter I have used right and left handed broad axes on standing cabin walls many times. That was what they were designed to do.

I have also seen adzes used to hue logs square before construction more than the broad axe. It is much easier to stand on the log and work the top flat, then roll the log 180 with the flat side down to work the opposite side.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Banned

Try putting the center bevel broad ax to use once you get off the industrial line Gentleman. There could be a reason why all these axes have fallen out of favor industrially? But for a simple Simon, in need of creating something after the fall of the Industrial Revolution, right/left hand on the processing line? Single timber hewing by single swinging axeman, really Old School labor. JMHO

I've hewed my fair share of logs. I would anchor the log with a log dog and then determine where my flat was to be and use a level on each end to draw a vertical line. These lines were connected to and bottom with a line made with a chalk box. Then taking conventional ax, v notches are cut vertically into the side up near the chalk line. These v notches are cut abut every 6 to 8 inches along the log. Then the side is hewn flat with a broad axe. It's not as much a chopping action as it is a slicing action cutting of the chunks made by the notching. Then if the finish was not satisfactory, the log is rolled so the flat is up and a very sharp adze is used to dress the flat spot smooth. The adze work was done after both sides were flattened. With some hewed logs it is not uncommon to take off 6 inches on each side, depending on dia and taper.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

I wanted to add that if memory serves and I'm not saying it does. The chunks of wood from between the v notches are called cuggles.

Banned

Would you care to define that "Conventional Ax" ? I mean Paul Bunyan cut a larger than life swathe with a conventional backbiter. (Double bit)

conventional axe in my world is a felling axe, double bit axe, not a specialty axe. The ax a fella would find in the average hardware store. Michigan pattern comes to mind. Maybe a 28 to 30 inch handle. The v notches are not going to be chopped in with the broad axe. A hatchet or small boys axe would work but is not efficient.

Banned

Those Michigan pattern (double bit) axes seemed to be a bit squeamish when folks moved westward, (and timber got larger) when straight handles grew longer than 30 inches and heads got heavier than 6 lbs. But the Broad ax continued in it's basic form, and ships carpenters continued thier basic tasks. Ax heads wieghed as much as 8 lbs when exported to Argentina, but the basic Broad ax and it's use never seemed to change. It was only lost to time and tide. Perhaps I should ask how many blisters you have raised swinging a Broad ax?

I worked with my hands from a young age, never really got blisters. My broad axe was stolen but I still have my grandfather's grandfather's broad axe. Other than the redwoods where else is the big timber out west? I've seen photos of chestnuts trees from the unakas with a 12 foot dia stumps.