Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First gun

Large bipedal Primate Billofthenorth's Avatar

Default First gun

Any ideas for what would make a good first gun? Say one with general hunting and home defense uses.

Having military experience I've always thought that primacy of learning and familiarity with military firearms might enter into it as well. How easy, or hard is it to reprogram to a bolt action or pump or lever action in an emergency when you are used to semi autos?

I guess that's a rather vague question so let's say primary use for home defense in an urban/ suburban area with hunting capability, deer, hogs, etc. and not too expensive, under $500 including accessories.
    Last edited by Billofthenorth; 09-21-2016 at 03:38 PM.

Remington 870 or Mossberg 500..... pump 12ga shotgun.....22" or 24" in barrel,.... screw in chokes.....
    Cyl bore choke (slug large game, buck shot self defense)
    Modified choke (small game and bird hunting)

The 870 and The Mossberg 500 both can be had $250 up.....

Both have all sorts of stocks, forearms, pistol grips, tactical rails,... for flashlights, sites, slings, shell holders.....
    Both had interchangeable barrels....easly changed ......so you can go from 18" (real popular for some reason(??) to long 32" for long range waterfowl
    Advantage to the Rem 870 for the ease of mounting an extended magazine....Mossberg not.

Both are able to keep working in the toughest condition, can be torn down with 2 pins.....and a reliable for many years.
    Ammo ....reasonable and come in so many different sized, loads, projectiles, and shell lengths.....

If you are real sensitive to recoil....drop to a 20ga.... all the same stuff applies.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Here's a cheaper version of the 500.

http://www.hr1871.com/firearms/shotguns/pardnerpump.asp

It's also made by Mossberg and the parts are interchangeable. Barrels and all.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

The Pardner Pump is a knock off of the 870, not the 500. H&R and Remington are owned by the same holding company now so it is not a conflict.

The Norinco Hawk is another 870 knock off of good quality. It is imported and marketed by Interstate Arms Co.

The Mossberg knock off is the Maverick. Parts interchangeability for the most part and all barrels and choke tubes interchange. Mossberg owns Maverick. I actually prefer the Maverick over the Mossberg 500 due to the location of the Maverick safety on the trigger guard. If you are a lefty the Mossberg 500 is the way to go due to the top mounted safety.

you do not even have to leave town;https://www.walmart.com/ip/Maverick-...-12ga/17200748

Do not leave out the Stevens 320, which has all the same features in an economy package.

The Pardner, Hawk, Stevens or Maverick can be had for less than $200 any day of the week.

The only thing I can add to Hunter's advice is that I would purchase a "combo set" that has both a riot gun barrel and a 28" hunting barrel with the interchangeable chokes. That is speaking from 20/20 hindsight. The combo is cheaper than buying the extra barrel latter and if you really want the flexibility of all around use you will need both barrels.

I keep my Pardner set up for home defense all the time and use the Maverick for general purpose hunting. I have about 6 barrels for the Maverick for different functions and a full set of choke tubes plus extra single purpose tubes. I went a little nuts. E-bay is your friend.

The Pardner uses 870 mag tube extensions. The maverick requires different barrels for extended mag tubes.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Resetting your muscle memory for pump action use is based on the same thing that gave you semi-auto muscle memory, and that is practice. Nice thing about a shotgun is that you can go to a club and shoot a few rounds of skeet, trap or sporting clays a few times and you have the transition pretty much under control.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrkX2MuVQgo

With a pump gun the normal recoil sets the action in motion and inertia pretty much does the rest for you. I do have to advise most of the new shooters I train to be decisive with operating a pump. These economy models are made from rough stamped parts and require a firm snap when breaking them in.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 09-21-2016 at 05:52 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Banned

As long as you are not shooting prone, the pump shotgun is just as expedient as any semi-auto firearm. They are hard to beat at almost any price point, and many states only allow shotgun hunting nowadays. +1 to the above.

In an urban/suburban area, consider your ammunition too. You don't want to be perforating your neighbors' walls (or your neighbors) should you ever have need to use it.
    Shotgun is probably the safer bet there.
    If you have a spouse who might need to use it, a 12 guage may be a lot to handle. At least at first. Just something else to consider.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Thanks for keeping me straight. How can an old guy like you remember all that "stuff"? I can't remember what I had for breakfast.

Everyone here is recommending a shot gun. And, I agree with them.

Just to add to the list, there is the AR-15. It is over your price range. Of course you can get one in the $500 range. But you will have to be very careful to keep accessories under that mark.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    But you will have to be very careful to keep accessories under that mark.
    "Aye. There's the rub."

S.

That is not the only "rub". A rifle round will go through a half dozen modern vinyl siding and drywall houses before it kills some kid in the last house on the block. Buskshot will probably not escape the dwelling where it is fired. You still have to live there after the incident.

There is a big difference between urban combat and suburban home defense in the crowded confines of the eastern U.S. Out west is different with threats identifiable from longer ranges and house spacing possibly different.

We need to stick with the shotgun for this one.

We have ignored the existence of simiauto shotguns so far but there are several on the market that would work splendidly.

The Mossberg 930 is right at the price range limit and would do a fantastic job.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...B28VR+ACCM+SYN

For several years I trusted my home defense to a fine old Remington Model 11. And back in the 1970s the LAPD switched over to the Remington 1100 due to the changes in the urban situation. the military has never been afraid to use semiauto shotguns and issued the model 11 as well as the Browning A5 and several offerings from Benelli.

Many semiautomatic shotguns are as reliable, or more reliable than a pump. If you noted the video with Jerry M, even one of the worlds greatest will occasionally short stroke or pull the trigger early when using a pump.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 09-22-2016 at 12:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Thanks for keeping me straight. How can an old guy like you remember all that "stuff"? I can't remember what I had for breakfast.
    How do I remember? It's pure genius from what I have been told.

That breakfast thing??? If you eat the same thing every day it is a little easier to remember. Then you just roam around wondering if you had breakfast this morning, or was that yesterday?

But, But, But, so you guys keep shotguns under your pillows???? Doesn't that hurt your head????

Where do I get those?

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    Where do I get those?
    http://www.tigerholstersystems.com/p...s_Shotgun.html

Notice. The holder system is NOT the girl. Okay? It's the metal gizmo. Don't order it thinking she will arrive. You will be disappointed.

Crap! Now I have to cancel my order.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I must be old.......
    I was looking at the puppy......

I was wondering how disappointed the girl was going to be when she arrived!

I use to think I was old when women began to refer to me as "sir". Little did I know how happy I should have been with that. Now they ask me if I need help!!! What the?!