Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for a reliable flashlight.

Pine sap is an option that can be used for a grease burner. It's smoky. Grease burners have been discussed on the forum. They are hard to light when the grease is cold and take a little while to start burning correctly. You can put pebbles, a long stick or whatever in the center to put the wicks on. The whole length of the stick will eventually be burning. Takes mantinance on the height of the wick and height of the fat to keep it burning bright enough without smoking bad. But still, it's a nice heater and light.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    In nature there are only a few animals that will offer enough fat to render for usable amounts of oil; hogs, bear, geese and most of the marine mammals.

In the pre-electrical and kerosene lamp eras things got pretty dark in the high latitudes during winter. Most people simply could not afford to buy the natural oils or candles needed to maintain light in the homes.

And yes, after feeding the livestock and having a bite to eat most folks simply stayed in bed, much like hibernation, during the dark months.

Suicide rates were very high due to light deprivation disorders.

Life in the city was a bit different with people gathering in taverns and inns which were kept lit and heated to promote business. Still, after work and after a bite to eat at the tavern or pub, when you went home, it was usually straight to bed in a dark and unheated room.

Moose have a lot of fat and is probably what is more available to you in a northern country. But as has been said, you would need the fat from the moose to survive in a living off the land situation.

Here in Alaska we do have the second highest suicide rate in the US. We also have a lot of problems that arise from Vitamin D deficiency. We have about 3 hours of daylight in the winter but it is a weak light. Have you thought about a head lamp? That leaves your hands free and the batteries last a very long time, especially with the led lights.

The thing about living this far north is, there is no livestock to feed, other then a few fowl one keeps through the summer, (which is when we have light all night).

Every one who lives here for any length of time, even with electricity, does end up sleeping a lot more during the winter. It's a welcome change from the go go go of summer.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!