Thread: Old Double Bit Ax

Default Old Double Bit Ax

Thread on tools that last a life time...prompted me to go look at the double bit ax I retrieved from MF forest ranger gear.
    It is an Anchor Plumb Brand.....

http://www.yesteryearstools.com/Yest...umb%20Co..html

Marking are kinda dirty and some surface rust....but this is on the head.....

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

The Au-To-Graf etching was used on a line of axes considered to be of the highest quality.

Gonna need to shine it up some....but not TOO shiny...LOL

Was old when MF got it form the state ....Hope no one alive is still looking for it......
    Last edited by hunter63; 09-20-2016 at 01:48 PM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

not much of a ax but beings we're friends I'll dispose of it for you, send it my way.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I have owned many good tools from the Plumb company.

I started tracking the history of the Plumb brand and found some interesting info.

Founded in the 1860s they operated until the 1980s and were bought by the Ames Company (founded in 1774), the folks that gave us True Temper.

In 2005 the Ames company was shut down, after 234 year of operation, by the United Steel Workers demands. A few years latter the Plumb brand was acquired by Cooper Industries who were bought out by a multinational investment company that owns tool companies world wide.

In the zig-zag tracing of the American tool industry I found one thing consistent, They all operated successfully until before the intrusion of the Chinese, and one by one were forced to close by high operating costs, not foreign competition. We did not even have trade agreements with China when most of these companies were closing.

Almost all the small American companies wound up under the umbrella of the True Temper company. It was after the True Temper closure that the Chinese imports hit our shores and "investment companies" bought the rights to the brand name to place on imports.

I was checking out an axe at the local Ace hardware the other day and realized everything they had on the shelf was made in Mexico.

And now you know why you can't find good America made tools any more!

Buy American, right? I think America shot itself in the foot on the tool industry, and it was not the consumer that did it.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 09-20-2016 at 12:59 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Used this at rondy....but made people nervous....couldn't stick in in a stump or chopping block....with blade was pointed up.....
    Rust came for laying on the ground,...... so the flatlander rug rats didn't ouch them selves, messing around with stuff they have no business messing with.....

So backed off at put it in the trailer..... with the spade, bolt/chain cutters(different story)....large crow bar and 6ft pry bar.

Use a single bit these days, kinda an old beat up, short handle......has some "Puce' to it....

had a kid visit the camp once. He decided to chop some wood. He was the same age as the nephew, who split firewood on a regular basis, probably 11 or 12 at that time.

Stupid kid made a swing and split open the top of his shoe. No cut, no blood, just a ruined shoe.

He immediately looked up and asked. "Why did you let me do that I could have hurt myself?"

I looked at him and asked back, "And you did not know that 30 seconds ago? It's not my job to be your brain."

The kid would not talk to me for the rest of the weekend, which I considered a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    had a kid visit the camp once. He decided to chop some wood. He was the same age as the nephew, who split firewood on a regular basis, probably 11 or 12 at that time.

Stupid kid made a swing and split open the top of his shoe. No cut, no blood, just a ruined shoe.

He immediately looked up and asked. "Why did you let me do that I could have hurt myself?"

I looked at him and asked back, "And you did not know that 30 seconds ago? It's not my job to be your brain."

The kid would not talk to me for the rest of the weekend, which I considered a good thing.
    Now that there is funny, I don't care who you are....but OH SO TRUE......

I am sometimes surprised how Dumas's like that survive to adult hood...and wonder if wasn't for 911....how much better the world would be.

Banned

I have spent a little of my childhood using a double bit eastern ax to fell trees. Back biters are a specialized tool that are best utilized for the sole purpose that they where intended. The ax you depicted is in dire need of at least a little quality time with a sharpening puck. Looks like you might have to hang a new handle should you desire to walk it through the tasks it was designed for. It shouldn't take much time to knock the rust off the ax, but that's up to the guy on the handle. LOL Perhaps I should stop and just list a nice reference: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-...ook/1112954918

Nice ax hunter63, if Y'all ain't gonna swing it, perhaps a little conservation so that folks can view it in a museum at a later date would be prudent?

Thanks for the heads up.....Guess since I dragged it out....I should revive it some......now that it has glimpsed the light of day.

Handle isn't really in too bad of shape....but has had a few roofing nails in the wedge used to tighten up the head at some point.....before may time.

We will see if it fits into a open spot behind the wood stove at "The Place" as a museum piece......LOL

Banned

If it only has a single wood wedge, pull out the roofing nails and get a small metal wedge to go across making a +. Ensure the head is completely seated first of course. http://www.ebay.com/itm/25-METAL-WED...3D121692313119
    Vinegar will take off the rust, boiled linseed oil will help the handle inside and out of the head, when you get it looking/working like it should then a clear coat of enamel should keep the head preserved without use. To nice an ax to let wither away. JMHO.

Aaahumm,

There is an open spot behind the stove?

May have to double up on the second dozen Herter's folding goose decoys........hang them both on the same hook...?
    The "goose" on them is actually a photograph copied on to the card board....LOL
    Kinda like this;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-JOHN...-/262139856090

Flea market antique store down the road has "One decoy" posted up fur $12 bucks......so maybe a couple of dozen w/bags worth a tad more?.....
    Actually that's kinda an older picture....few more old packs, mess kits, canteens, and binocular, hanging op under Mom's boat thing...
    Big wooden bread mixing bowl hanging where the snow shoes are....they are over the back door....Guess I need a new pic.
    Last edited by hunter63; 09-21-2016 at 08:01 PM.