Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Starvation...

Default Starvation...

So, to me, a big part of survival preparedness is knowing your body and its limits so that when pressed, you don't freak out. I'm 24 hours into a 10 day fast, drinking only distilled water. There is a lot of evidence supporting the health benefits of such a fast, and some condemning, but I was more interested to see how much energy and mental clarity I would have after ten days of no food. That way, if ever in a situation where food is terribly hard to come by, I can hopefully keep a cooler head, knock out shelter and water needs, and know from experience how my body will react without food for an extended period of time. So, many of you may care less, but consider this a log of sorts. I am 27 years old, 225lbs, ~13%bf. No food, alcohol, or tobacco.

Day 1
    Not so bad, I think we've all been at least a day without food. Will update tomorrow.

I am excited to follow this journey. Take a before and after photo please?

Also, I have tried to go one whole day without food and couldn't do it. I am a sucker for eating. I try to stop all the time, but I am addicted. I tried to go through the 12 step program, but the thing is is I am convinced that I do it because I like it and that I can quit whenever I want. I didn't make it past step 1

I wish you luck on this adventure, I can't wait to see how far you make it. Fasting interests me as well, but I have never been "strong" enough to follow through with it. Maybe I should, my gut is growing on me (and not in a good way).

Quote Originally Posted by LeaveThisLifeGuy View Post
    So, to me, a big part of survival preparedness is knowing your body and its limits so that when pressed, you don't freak out. I'm 24 hours into a 10 day fast, drinking only distilled water. There is a lot of evidence supporting the health benefits of such a fast, and some condemning, but I was more interested to see how much energy and mental clarity I would have after ten days of no food. That way, if ever in a situation where food is terribly hard to come by, I can hopefully keep a cooler head, knock out shelter and water needs, and know from experience how my body will react without food for an extended period of time. So, many of you may care less, but consider this a log of sorts. I am 27 years old, 225lbs, ~13%bf. No food, alcohol, or tobacco.

Day 1
    Not so bad, I think we've all been at least a day without food. Will update tomorrow.
    Is your physical activity during the fast the same as your normal routine? I believe in a true wilderness survival situation your level of physical activity has the potential to increase dramatically (for some) which would certainly change the affect on individuals.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I support your efforts but make certain your doctor is on board with this. It might have been a good idea to have a physical prior to and not just assume all is well because you feel fine.

I agree with Crash as well. When I read through your post my first thought was is he trying to build shelter and provide water needs while he is doing this or is he just sitting around the house? You calorie output needs to approximate what it would be in the wild in order to paint yourself a true picture.

If your doc isn't on board then please make certain your wife or some other reliable person is. That way if they find you face down in an empty jar of peanut butter they'll know what happened.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

I'm going to lunch. Catch all of you later.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

If you really want to be wicked and make LeaveThisLifeGuy suffer we should start posting the scrumptious pictures of our weekend cooking adventures. I need to start planning for this weekend.

I wish someone had a half steer they were willing to magically part with. Oh well, one can dream. Maybe I'll hit a swine or two on the way home...

Grundle, you are just cruel.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

That's about half a steer isn't it?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

I have fasted in the past for religious reasons. I have also fasted for military supply reasons. Either way it is no fun and I've found I don"t like denying my flesh.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    I'm going to lunch. Catch all of you later.
    Cold...

Docs not on board, but I'm not one to mess myself up willingly. If things don't feel right, I stop. I appreciate your concern, but I don't go to doctors anyway, but the lady knows, and is watching.

Physical activity is not wilderness activity, that's for sure. Roughly 1 hour of cardio/day, 30 mins weights/day, and lots of mental (reading, tons). I certainly can't, at this time, emulate a true survival setting, but at the same time, if I was starving in the woods I would be very calorie conscious about expenditures and be using as little energy as possible.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I fast every day. I fast to the outhouse after the first cup of coffee. Old backwoods wisdom: "He who not fast, must change shorts".

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Grundle, you are just cruel.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

That's about half a steer isn't it?
    looks like it, but what is the half steer eating?

Blog Entries

HopeAk, I saw my first black bear yesterday. Walking across the Old Glen Hwy about a mile before you get to the New Glen. A beautiful 100-150 pounder. He sure would have made good eat'n. But I was pulling a trailer load of ATV's and had several car's behind me so I couldn't stop and shoot him. Talk about a great way to break a fast, a nice juicy bear roast with potato's and cornbread. Ummm Ummm Good.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

Quote Originally Posted by klkak View Post
    HopeAk, I saw my first black bear yesterday. Walking across the Old Glen Hwy about a mile before you get to the New Glen. A beautiful 100-150 pounder. He sure would have made good eat'n. But I was pulling a trailer load of ATV's and had several car's behind me so I couldn't stop and shoot him. Talk about a great way to break a fast, a nice juicy bear roast with potato's and cornbread. Ummm Ummm Good.
    What does bear taste like?

Don't be asking questions like that. You're off food, remember? Stay tough!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LeaveThisLifeGuy View Post
    What does bear taste like?
    Bear is delicious!!!! OMG! I'm heading down to the freezer as soon as I finish typing this.

Think sirloin with an earthy flavor. I love it roasted with infused garlic and bacon on top, with sides of baked potatos, baked apples, roasted mushrooms, fresh baked whole wheat bread dripping with butter, and a good chianti. Follow that with creme brulee and coffee and it's as close to Heaven as it gets. Except for living in Massachusetts
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Bear is illegal in Massachusetts.

REPORTED!

Blog Entries

Have you ever turned down a "care package" from a friend? That very same freezer is loaded with last fall's venison. And I haven't been out hunting in 3 years. Friends. I love 'em.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Would you look at this? LeaveThisLifeGuy drooled down my monitor. What a mess.

How about lending me some of your friends. I could use some free food.

Most of mine give me a healthy helping of "I-don't-care" packages

Blog Entries

Gee, Grundle, I read your posts to my friends and asked them to hook you up. They said they would have, but they were afraid that you'd report them!
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark