Thread: vintage survivalist youtube

Default vintage survivalist youtube

I came across a video from the early 1980s. There are some well known "survivalists" in the video, most have passed on but there are a few still around. There is a religious cult, a few crackpots etc. About 7 to 8 minutes in there is a well known man talking. Of course a "survivalist" video can't be complete without Kurt Saxon. he in there too. One of the partners involved in cobray arms is in there. If you have 45 minutes to spare, it is a entertaining video. No skills contained therein..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qb5bppuyKhs
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

That brought back some old memories!

Books/magazines no longer in print,
    Groups no longer in existence,
    People that though they would never die of old age, and did.

And the same rallying cries echoing across 40 years until today.

And the decades old irony, It was "already happening" then, but it has not happened yet, 40 years down the road.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I thought it was interesting as heck. Some of those folks are still around, ellison lives in oklahoma now. Kurt is in a old folks home, don't know about the rest of them other than the ones that have passed on.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Hey, Krat, was that a savage 520 shotgun that old survivalist pulled out from by the filing cabinet? He wasn't so old then

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    Hey, Krat, was that a savage 520 shotgun that old survivalist pulled out from by the filing cabinet? He wasn't so old then
    Yes it was a 520 or a 620 set up in military trim and I think his reference to using it in Viet Namn was probably a bit if imaginary work. They were not made after 1955 and most of the shotgun inventory of the Viet Nan era was Remington 870/Ithaca 37/Savage 320 series. Almost all the pre-1960 shotguns had been dumped on the surplus market by Viet Namn era.

If he was in really early, like 1962-1965, he might have had one, but that also means he was not in any real combat with the gun because we simply were not doing anything but advisory/training/airbase security work at that time.

The only weapons I have ever known to be brought home from SE Asia were items written off as combat losses due to helicopter crashes. It was a real hassle to get personally owned firearms back once you had gotten them over there. They really frowned on smuggling U.S. property home.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 09-18-2016 at 04:07 PM.

I thought it was a bit of puffery too. I have a 520 with a hand guard and a 520 civilian model. It's been years but the 520 with the hand guard kicked badly. All it has is a piece of some sort of canvas screwed on for a butt plate and the safety is iffy.

The only retired military shotgun I ever owned was an old Remington Model 11. (The Browning auto 5 built in America) It was on its last leg when I traded for it and it took some serious fiberglass and camo fabric to get the wood reinforced so it was safe to shoot. That action style is rough on the thin fore arm and they split easily.

It was an 18 inch barrel and the plug had been removed so I think I remember it was a 3+1 magazine. No handguard or bayonet lug on that one. It had Navy ordnance markings on it so I figured it had been used for ship security.

It had a steel buttplate but the recoil action soaked up some of the kick and it was one of my all time favorite shotguns. One of the ones you wish you had not let get away. I traded that one off back in '85 and I still miss it!

I still remember a really miserable afternoon when I got caught on the back of the farm in a sleet filled drizzle. That shotgun was totally encrusted in ice by the time I got to the house. As I walked around the corner of the barn into the barn lot a covey of quail broke and I instinctively raise the gun and shot. Ice went everywhere and I stood there in a cloud of snow for a startled second. But the gun had fired and the next round was in the chamber and ready to go!

Old John Browning knew what he was doing. He also designed that Stevens 520 in the film.

Soooo.....Did ya get a quail?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Yep, but only one!

If not for the ice I might have had a double.

That would have been enough back then. We could have given the kids some mac&cheese and a quail leg and they would have been happy while the wife and I scarfed down the rest.

I had a holster hung on the steering column of the pickup truck and I used to pot quail for supper while hauling firewood. If I was in the truck the quail would sit until I was only a few feet away and I could pot them with the little H&R pistol. Same for rabbits. True subsistence foraging, potting food while doing farm work.

Come to think about it, that was right when these guys on the film were in their hey-day. I was too busy working full time and running a subsistence homestead to be a "survivalist". I was and still am allergic to these militia-survivalist types although I have had a lot of contact with them.

I ran a surplus store in the late 1980s and had some real adventures due to the "survivalists", especially the ones over in Arkansas. Lots of visits from the FBI and ATF with several inventory checks and shipping traces due to selling them bulk purchases even of simple items one would not normally be concerned over.

Then I got the order for the Zodiac and a 50 hp Mercury outboard drop shipped to their location. Agents came out of the woodwork on that one!

Don't let anyone tell you that the alphabet agencies are not keeping an eye on things!
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 09-18-2016 at 06:49 PM.

Default Buy Latest Watch

I need to know which product is the best from the ones listed on the site? *******REMOVED LINK***********

On this site? Oh....that's easy. Spam Be Gone.
    Last edited by Rick; 05-28-2019 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Removed Link.

More spam?

Is this the same bunch as yesterday?

Probably. Another stupid spammer out of Bandladesh.

These spammers must be desperate if they're targeting this forum.

It isn't actually a hot-bed of activity.
    "The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play." Capt. James T. Kirk

They get paid by the post. Here, there. One place is as good as another.

Oh. I thought they had to drive traffic somewhere, not just "advertise."
    "The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play." Capt. James T. Kirk

The guys they post for rely on the click throughs but the spam posters get paid to post. Sorta like cold callers. Affiliate marketing is a legit way to earn money but spamming sure isn't. That's why most of these losers come through either from APNIC (Asia, Pacific) or from RIPE (Europe). ARIN (North America) controls them too tightly.