Thread: More on Survival Gardening

Default More on Survival Gardening

So this is just an idea, I've never tried it, and I don't know if its possible but are there hardy enough species of edible plants etc... that a person could spread seeds in various areas and have them grow to create edible survival crops- without attending to them?

Imagine going on a hike and planting seeds and not tending to them and coming back through a while later and having a wild radish, onion or potato or something similar.

I know there is some archaeological evidence that points to that a few Native American tribes practiced similar farming- but are there hardy enough seeds/plants still around to do this now.
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

I don't see why not. You can still find wild onions, carrots, etc. out there, plus a number of plants that people have listed on here before. I suppose it's going to go a lot better if the plants are either:

a) very hardy, will grow pretty much anywhere and/or

b) indigenous to your area.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Well, Jason, you can sort of walk anywhere now and pick something to eat. The key is to know what you're picking and how to prepare it. There are a ton of springtime plants in every type of eco-system. Nature has sort of done the work for you.

If you mean "domesticated" plants, sure. You can do that too. Some are even pretty good at self sowing depending on your planting zone turning annuals into "perennials".
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

There was a thread awhile back about this - I think it started with Coot posting about planting onions or rice. Still looking for it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Well, Jason, you can sort of walk anywhere now and pick something to eat. The key is to know what you're picking and how to prepare it. There are a ton of springtime plants in every type of eco-system. Nature has sort of done the work for you.

If you mean "domesticated" plants, sure. You can do that too. Some are even pretty good at self sowing depending on your planting zone turning annuals into "perennials".
    I know that. I collect a fair amount of wild edibles. But, I am talking more than that...Basically, having semi-wild gardens in severall different areas in a forest that you frequent. The logic behind it is that you can have more of a menu for a diet in a worst case scenario- ideally- you'd know right where to look to get a variety of things and they'd be in enough different locations to insure that something would grow and be able to supplement your diet of game and wild plants you collected. I guess I am just trying to figure out what domesticated plants can succeed with little human nurturing and be a dependable food source
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

I went out to the flood plane some time back. Pinto beans and melons and radishes and onions Ect.... Last year I got 10 lbs of pintos from the area up in Colo where I let some seeds fall. I gathered some wild berry cuttings and have them growing in my yard.

Survival seeding can work. Just pick an area you know will not see a lot of traffic.

Don
    No one knows more about a task then the person that does it, Practice makes perfect!