Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tools? (That last a life time)

Banned

Do they issue Pulaski's for fire fighting nowadays?

Link: http://www.barcodirect.com/c/23/fire-pulaski
    Last edited by M118LR; 09-16-2016 at 06:48 PM. Reason: link

all 4 of the wildlands/brush/grass fire trucks in my old department still have two on each truck. We use rakes more around here and "flappers" too. And of course we still have 4 Indian back packs on each rig as well.

Quote Originally Posted by M118LR View Post
    Do they issue Pulaski's for fire fighting nowadays?

Link: http://www.barcodirect.com/c/23/fire-pulaski
    I'm sure they still do...was a couple around....but he passed in 1980....so all I have is one short shovel and the axe.....not even sure what brand it is.......packed in the "Rondy trailer"......with rendezvous gear....sort of a prepackaged "homestead".
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Hey Hunter, how long does that Robeyi battery last on that chain saw?

I am due to replace a cordless drill soon and I am planning on going the battery powered yellow gear.

Will it get a 1 diameter foot tree sawed in two so you can clear a road before it goes dead?
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Hey Hunter, how long does that Robeyi battery last on that chain saw?

I am due to replace a cordless drill soon and I am planning on going the battery powered yellow gear.

Will it get a 1 diameter foot tree sawed in two so you can clear a road before it goes dead?
    Yes, with a full charge...mine is lithium battery.......and I carry an inverter and the charger as well.
    12v to 115 v back to 19 v ....lol....any way works pretty well.
    Bought it to cut fatwood in the deer lease in Louisiana....and did cat a couple of offending trees out of my way on logging roads.
    Hated carrying the gas saws...BUT.....I will and do if I'm heading out in a storm....with the canned gas/oil premix.
    Last edited by hunter63; 09-16-2016 at 09:47 PM.

I wonder how a cordless sawzall with a pruning blade would compare to a cordless chainsaw?
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    I wonder how a cordless sawzall with a pruning blade would compare to a cordless chainsaw?
    Sucks......not even close.....Even with the Milwaukee "Hatchet".....LOL
    Compare a hand saw with a chain saw.....

I'll have to try a cordless chainsaw but come to think of it my chainsaws are already cordless lol
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Yeah, but there is that pesky starting....... and fueling........just need to have the battery ready ....I charge mine before a long trip....and make sure I run it some.
    What I need is a battery drill with the same battery .....so as to have a spare and actually use them more regularly.

Banned

Y'all need to go to the county fair a bit more often. Chainsaw, Ha Ha Ha.
    Get your hands on a two man crosscut saw! Whips a chainsaw 7 days a week with two days off.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-man_saw

Sorry for your loss hunter63. It would be my HONOR to walk you through to the end if you are willing to pass along whatever clues are left on the gear.

Those saws are mounted on the cabin wall.....Buck saw, and a couple of cross cut saws....

DW say it's junk.....but I prefer to collect and decorate with useful, and if necessary, antiques.
    Older pic but one of the cross cut saws is over the far window.....

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I have a couple one man crosscut saws that I used to cut cedar. They work well if kept sharp and maintained.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

OK you guys have shoved it into reverse at this point!

My first winter on a true homestead I tried to cut wood with a crosscut saw and after exactly one week of nearly freezing I went out and bought my first chain saw. I was working full time w/wife and two babies and there were not enough hours in the day or days in the week to keep up with the fuel demand.

Far as I am concerned the manual operation thing is only good if you have a couple of big teenage boys to man the thing.

At 67, with a 1 acre yard and electric heat, my choices are going to be power saw with or without a cord!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

A tool is only as good as the metal it is made from. Axes, hammers, sledges, splitting mauls...buy that kind of tool with high quality steel and the ability to replace the handle, and they will last a lifetime. Don't abuse the edge on an axe or splitting maul either.

Hand tools today are all over the map. I've come to distrust big box stores on the quality of their tools. I will also never again buy anything with a fiberglass handle (they start to disintegrate over time and the glass will get into your work gloves and eventually your hands.) Nor will I buy anything with an epoxied polymer or contiguous handle.)

H63, I like your decorating style. Mine's pretty much the same but a bit more hidden down in the cellar "playroom." We call it "decorating with sharp objects." Everything from a couple scythes and bucksaws to gloving leather shears and cobbler's tools, a lot of stuff inherited from my grandfather.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

that wringer looks handy too, been wanting to try one to wring out buckskin

Yeah...It di come in handy when I got my jeans , really muddy....and Mom did want to go to the river to pound on the rocks......
    So I got her a NEW washing machine, (kinda)......tubs with a wash board ......LOL

Tried making sorghum syrup with it.....what a mess.....didn't work out too well.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

LOL, I would have thrown the jeans in a onion bag and put it in fast water at the crick for a week or so.

if your looking for a good chainsaw , I have had great service out of my Stihl , Easy to start light and easy to handle.

Quote Originally Posted by fjrmurph View Post
    if your looking for a good chainsaw , I have had great service out of my Stihl , Easy to start light and easy to handle.
    Yup...What he said....Or Echo.......The Amish use both....and they are out for a bargain......(No, they don't use all hand tools)
    Done with Poulan....tired of pullin' and pullin' and pullin'

Yep, my chainsaw is a Stihl as well. Gas model cuz every time I have needed it for an emergency, we've had no grid power.

Since we have tree-nazis in the neighborhood, if I want to stealth cut something on the property, I just wait for the neighbors to start doing their yearly wood piles. I think it's all the rage here to get a truck load of seasoned logs and do all the cutting and splitting themselves. From August to October there's always a chainsaw going.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant