Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tools? (That last a life time)

Yeah. I agree......like putting money in the pocket....your heat is stacked up in front of the house.

Kinda, funny but my splitter is electric....saws are electric, corded, and battery.....and gas.

I gave up on the maul and wedges, as well........
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Hunter, I haven't used a battery powered chainsaw. But, they have some amazing battery powered tools. A battery powered chop saw!

Battery powered jobsite fans are great for camping in hot weather. Small durable bluetooth enabled radios with good sound. And solar powered chargers that can recharge batteries faster than most uses deplete them.

Quote Originally Posted by milkyway12 View Post
    I was hoping some of you may have looked into tools that would last many years under use. Not just your ordinary tools, but tools designed and made to last a long time under heavy use.

- Hatchet
    - Axe
    - Knife
    - Wood Planer
    - Hammer

I've been looking for a while for tools that are designed to last a life time. ( I understand it may not be possible )
    So, back to the original question.
    Someone asked if you are looking for a specific brand?
    You can't really say that a hammer or an axe or a hatchet are designed to last a lifetime. Some are, some aren't. It isn't the type of tool that makes it last a lifetime, it is how that specific tool was made. One hammer can be high quality, and another not. It is true that how you treat your tools will determine how long they last. When I was a kid, I got in serious trouble when I left my dad's wrenches on the lawn.
    Of course, a good tool gets used more. Mostly because it works better and is easier to use. So, if you buy a cheap one, and then go out and buy a good one. The cheap one will sit and not get used, and therefore last longer. And, like Rick said, the good ones get used and then lost, and the cheap ones are left in the tool box.
    Just remember, buy once, cry once, only if you have a locked tool box. Owning cheap tools in an unlocked box is also a good idea. Then someone won't lose or break your good tools.

Taking care of tools is something that is taught. My father is very picky about taking care of his tools. My father-in-law....not so much. Of course, my father-in-law doesn't buy quality tools. His socket set is just a whole bunch of those really cheap sets that are sold at discount stores and contain a small selection of tools. The problem is, that he has a lot of sockets, but they are all the same ones. And, half are rusted or broken.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Banned

Haven't heard from milkeyway12 since the start? Should we break down each category by it's specific task? (I.E. Axe: swamping,splitting,mauling,felling,ships-carpenters,adze, etc..etc.) Or would you care to give us just a bit more information on the intended usage of these tools and how heavy a use? The more information, the better the selections we can list for you to choose from. JMHO.