Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tools? (That last a life time)

Default Tools? (That last a life time)

I was hoping some of you may have looked into tools that would last many years under use. Not just your ordinary tools, but tools designed and made to last a long time under heavy use.

- Hatchet
    - Axe
    - Knife
    - Wood Planer
    - Hammer

I've been looking for a while for tools that are designed to last a life time. ( I understand it may not be possible )

This may seem like a very dumb question and I apologize.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Most good hand tools will last a lifetime if cared for and not abused. I am using hand tools passed down to me by my G-father, FIL and oddly, by my grandmother who gifted me tools at Christmas from the time I was 10. Most are still working 60 years latter. Some of the hand me downs are now 100 years old.

And things today are made just as good if you buy quality. You can even get 25 years out of the average Jeep so you will not have to walk when TEOTWAWKI hits.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Buy quality, not crap. Do not abuse them. They will last longer than you.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Always put them back in better shape than they were when you retrieved them. That means clean, oil, etc. as needed. It only costs a bit more initially to go first class but you won't have to replace them so the cost is justified. Of course, the good tools are always the ones you lose. The cheapos will be in your toolbox forever.

Banned

With the exception of the hammer, all the other hand tools you have inquired about are only as useful/long lasting as the sharpening implements and care that you didn't inquire about.
    The lowest quality/cut rate modern hand tool can and will last at least a lifetime with proper maintenance and sharpening.
    The skill/usage quality/price of the hand tool is determined by the Craftsman that wields it, how often he/she utilizes it, and the product that shall be made with it.
    Artisans have been making unconceivable products since the dawn of time, with inferior tools that lasted thier lifetimes.
    It is a poor Craftsmen that blames his/her tools for a lack of performance! JMHO.

Milkyway12,
    So are you looking for list of tool makers/manufactures that "WE" like/approve of/use/endorse? Do you want me to tell you all the reasons why you need to buy a Estwing Campers axe rather than a Plumb, or vice-versa?
    We have several threads all about that discussion!

I have my great grandfathers felling axe. It has had the handle replaced 13 times and we have replaced the head twice! I love using a family heirloom and thinking about the folks before me that used it.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJohnson View Post
    I have my great grandfathers felling axe. It has had the handle replaced 13 times and we have replaced the head twice! I love using a family heirloom and thinking about the folks before me that used it.
    Soooo.....If handle has been replaced 13 times.......and the head twice....is it still the same axe?....LOL.....
    Like old handle to new head....and new handle on old head.......
    Had a lawn mower like that once.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

DSJohnson

It has had the handle replaced 13 times and we have replaced the head twice! I don't understand this statement........Are you talking about 3 axes?

It is an old joke.. Just kind'a teasin'

The very first time I heard it, I think, I was 8 or 9 and the gentleman was holding an axe he said that George Washington used to chop down a cherry tree. He said it was the original one that Gen. Washington had used and had been passed down through his family to this gentleman. Then he said something to the effect that it was a very good axe and that they had used it for many years cutting firewood so that they had replaced the handle 10 or 12 times and the head only twice. I listened to him tell that story but never said a word until later when I was alone with my father. When I asked him about it he looked at me for a long moment, cracked a hint of a smile and said that the man was just pullin' my leg and that he was a used car salesman anyway...Like that should explain everything..I have heard it several times since then. Glad I could brighten up you fella's day with it. Y'all are just too sharp. Saw it right off.

As far as hand tools, I used to buy cheap Taiwan tools because it's what I could afford. They worked mostly but working on things was always a pain in the butt, miss sized sockets, bad screws in pliers, bad rivets. Once I stepped up to names like Stanley, Craftsman, Snap on have held up so much better. If you have pawnshops in your area stop in and dig thru they're bulk tool bins you'll be surpised what you'll find.

I realize your question was in regards to wood working tools, but I think my example carries over.

Mr Johnson, I do believe i'm going to be forced to steal your joke!!!

It's a good un!!

Quote Originally Posted by M118LR View Post
    It is a poor Craftsmen that blames his/her tools for a lack of performance! JMHO.
    Come and tell that to the chainsaw I have out in the shed!

POS will not run for crap!

Come to think about it, it happens to be a Craftsman too.

Psssst...... Craftsman chain saws are made by Poulan....so you just have to keep Poulan, and Poulan ...Bhohahaha...Got a flock of them, some actually still run.
    Moved on to Stihl ....

Quote Originally Posted by shiftyer1 View Post
    As far as hand tools, I used to buy cheap Taiwan tools because it's what I could afford. They worked mostly but working on things was always a pain in the butt, miss sized sockets, bad screws in pliers, bad rivets. Once I stepped up to names like Stanley, Craftsman, Snap on have held up so much better. If you have pawnshops in your area stop in and dig thru they're bulk tool bins you'll be surpised what you'll find.

I realize your question was in regards to wood working tools, but I think my example carries over.
    Shiftyer1,
    I agree 100%. Today Craftsman, Snap On, Armstrong, ProTo, Stanley are all well made tools. Although very few of them are made in the USA as long as they are well made and have a good warranty. Milkyway12, I think you will be fine buying just about any "name brand". Just remember "You get what you pay for" Well except Wahoo Killer knives...They is a true bargain

I HAD a craftsman chainsaw as well. Won't make that mistake again.

Banned

Guess Y'all should have purchased a Kelly Perfect Michigan Double instead of them fancy chainsaw's. Wasn't this about the OP's hand tool list? But modern hand tool manufacturing has standardized the products to the point that even the lowest costing tools should give a lifetime of service with proper sharpening and maintenance.

http://www.barcodirect.com/c/28/kell...gan-double-bit
    Last edited by M118LR; 09-16-2016 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Barco tools link

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Psssst...... Craftsman chain saws are made by Poulan....so you just have to keep Poulan, and Poulan ...Bhohahaha...Got a flock of them, some actually still run.
    Moved on to Stihl ....

I have not had a good light duty chain saw since Homelite quit making the old Super II.

Since I do not heat with wood or have a regular need for a chain saw these days I have been dismissed from the ranks of the lumber jacks and relegated to the rank of Yuppie and now use a Remington electric chain saw.

If the tree I am cutting took down the electric line (this is KY, we only have one!) I will fire up the little generator.

No kidding, the only line feeding 22 homes on my road goes through my back yard by the big dead tree. If that tree goes down about 100 people are going to be really pi$$ed!

Hey, nothing wrong with the Remington Electric chain saw....got 2.... one on the stick....and the other is a "stealth" saw for cutting stuff up, quietly......
    Also Ryobi 19.something or other volt battery saw for the truck....

I still use the double bit axe MF brought home in his Forest Fire Fighting turn out gear.... when he was a Forest Ranger.

many of my tools came from my great grandfather, grandfather and dad. Many are pexto, kelly flint edge, plumb, stanley, old craftsman and many others.Some are homemade. Some I picked up at garage sales, flea markets etc.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?