Thread: Blast from the past.

Banned

Default Blast from the past.

Perhaps it's all the reminiscing? With the talk of a rendezvous and days as a teenage coureur de bois , but today at my local orange box (HD) there was a gaggle of 18 Canadian Geese rummaging the parking lot. Now that wouldn't be uncommon here in Florida this time of year except, 2 of the geese where Giant Canadians! I haven't seen Giant Canada Geese since the day's when I was about the same size as the side-by-side Fox 16 gauge shotgun I was allowed to take afield along the Mississippi Flyway.

All I could think of was X-Mas dinner. (roast goose stuffed with mashed potatoes and smothered with Bing Cherry Bourbon sauce.) COMNAVKITCHENSINK and I haven't shared wild Canada Goose since the first X-mas after our wedding. (that was quite some time ago.) It's been far longer than that since I was able to harvest a Giant Canada Goose. (last one fell to that Fox 16 SS with lead shot, that's how long ago.)

So I guess the hunting question I'm asking of the folks along the Mississippi Flyway is: Has the Giant Canada Goose (Branta canadensis maxima) made a strong enough come back to be taken during waterfowl season?

Didn't see this till now....
    The answer is, Yes.....Have made such a come back that a lot of them are local geese that don't leave for the winter.

Hunted them from the 60's till a year or so ago......Mississippi River, Wisconsin River, Kickapoo River, Horicon Zone....and various lakes along Lake Michigan.
    More and more every year.....Even the bunny huggers don't like them crapping in their pools.....

Favorite spot in along the third hole at Brightondale golf course........pay for a round and bring your shotgun in you golf bag.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

HA HA HA HOW TRUE " Even the bunny huggers don't like them crapping in their ponds"

Poetic justice sez I

Banned

Just so that I'm sure we are discussing the same goose, (not your average 8-13 pound Canadian) the Giant Canada Goose weighs up to 23 LBS. http://www.camacdonald.com/birding/C...ubspecies.html
    The Giant Canada Goose was erroneously thought to be extinct back before the 60's, at 20+ lbs they make normal Branta candensis (Canada Goose) look like dwarfs. Is there any special regulation on Giant Canada Geese? or are they just considered as part of the normal quota when harvesting Canadian geese?

Last time I went duck/waterfowl hunting along the flyway they had a point system and only allowed steel shot. Has anything changed? If not, how many points are counted for a Giant Canada Goose and what is the current point limit per day? Thanks for the info hunter63.

A PFD is available on line with the 2016 Waterfowl Regulations......can't post the link....But you can down load and save it.
    Seems Canada Goose are daily Limit 5 per day.....but many zones with special regs....need to look then up.
    Yes ...steel or approved nontoxic shot required....again ....need to look it up.

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/hunt/waterfowl.html

Banned

Thanks again, seems like the Brant limit is 1 a day and no distinction is made for subspecies. So I guess the Giant Canada Goose is once again harvestable. Good Hunting hunter63. I could post the Bing cherry bourbon sauce recipe if you don't already have one?

I can recall the days when the Canada goose was a big deal.....didn't see that many outside of the Horicon Marsh Zone.

Now they are everywhere.....

Most likely won't spend much time hunting them this year....not since the heart surgery.....may even sell the big boat.....got a guy asking about it.

Banned

Sorry if I initiated less than peak times. Have my share of age/profession related complications. Perhaps we should dwell on the times when a good water dog rested at our feet, while we performed maintenance on the scatter gun that brought home dinner. I'll spring for breakfast at the "Trego Dinner Bell" restaurant should we gather at the junction of 53 & 63. Hope I am worthy of consideration.
    Last edited by M118LR; 09-15-2016 at 08:14 PM.