Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fixin Wax recipe

Default Fixin Wax recipe

I'm looking for a good recipe for making "fixin wax" like that sold by Dave Canterbury/Wilderness outfitters. I've found a few recipes on the web & was curious if anyone here had one they liked better. With the wealth of experience here I figured there might be something as good or better. Here is what I have found on the net.

1C beeswax, 1/2c shea butter, 1tsp Almond oil, 1tsb coconut oil, 10 drops peru balsam. I was thinking about adding tea tree oil & vitamin E oil as well. Thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

backshot

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I got a laugh out of this one.

It appears that no one knows what "Fixin Wax" should be made from even though it is proclaimed by all that use it as a wonder substance.

Recipes call for about all known ingredients from pure mutton tallow to pure bees wax to beef tallow and any and all ratios of blend of the afore mentioned substances along with but not required traces of kerosene, pine tar, charcoal, balsam oil, Elmers glue and petrified pig farts.

The first recipe I discovered on a google search was exactly the same as I have used to make black powder patch lube for 40 years (50/50 bees wax and tallow), but in this case it was recommended as an all purpose antiseptic and emergency food supply with the ability to mend chapped lips, broken axe handles and restore worn out shoes!
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 09-13-2016 at 05:04 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I guess I kinda confused as well.....sound like my moccasin butter from Carl Dyer....

If you have a recipe, use it....'although not a fan of DC...if it works for you...why not?
    If you want to make it better makes me wonder,....Why?.... What kind of better?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Don't know what DC uses (he's on my banned list) but gotta ask what your intended use is. If nothing medicinal is planned, don't waste money on essential oils and vitamins - just wax and something to make and keep it softish.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned

I see by DC facebook that he plans on being at SMKW Oct 21 & 22 ond. Or if you are a facebook affection-ado perhaps you could just contact DC and ask for the recipe. https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...d=142229423061
    Hope this helps backshot

Quote Originally Posted by M118LR View Post
    I see by DC facebook that he plans on being at SMKW Oct 21 & 22 ond. Or if you are a facebook affection-ado perhaps you could just contact DC and ask for the recipe. https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...d=142229423061
    Hope this helps backshot
    I know a lot of people hate him but - He doesn't make it, he buys it from one of his senior instructors to sell on the website and is not giving up the ingredients. Coincidentally, if it's edible aren't they required by law to list ingredients? Dunno myself is why I'm asking......

Though many recipes say Crisco or animal tallow + beeswax at a 50/50 mix. Heat, mix and pour into containers.
    Last edited by druid; 09-13-2016 at 11:00 PM.
    "But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.--Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government."

~~Declaration of Independence

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    The first recipe I discovered on a google search was exactly the same as I have used to make black powder patch lube for 40 years (50/50 bees wax and tallow), but in this case it was recommended as an all purpose antiseptic and emergency food supply with the ability to mend chapped lips, broken axe handles and restore worn out shoes!
    Okay so one of the very first "Period" rides I went on...about the third morning one of the boys was sitting all funny in the saddle..Kept moving around, shifting his weight, then just about 20 minutes after we had started on the trail he was off his horse and pulling his blanket out of his bed roll. Turns out the lad suffered from regular bouts with hemorrhoids and he had left his Preparation H at the house because of course....it was not "period" There were 5 of us on that 6 night 7 day ride and by the end of the ride none of us had any bullet lube, moc dressing, bacon grease or gun grease at all. He made the whole ride and never said a word. He would never had said anything if his brother had not told us what was going on.

Banned

Perhaps it's my age? or maybe aged bourbon? (never) But I seem to get confused easily nowadays.
    Isn't tallow used because it's eatable?
    Isn't bee's wax used because it burns hotter?
    Isn't Honey the best antiseptic of the three?

Even tallow goes rancid......
    I guess the best way is to just buy some....and see if works for you.

Add camphor to the mix and you get Carmex......or any number of Uncle Joe's or Granny something or other magic rub, salve, paste, and butt stuff.

Raw Honey is definitely one of the better antiseptics in nature.....
    Last edited by DSJohnson; 09-13-2016 at 11:51 PM.

Banned

Now I like DC and the early Duel Survivor stuff. But I went to HD to pick up some boiled linseed oil for the hickory ax handle I was going to hang on my fathers Old axe. I was just wondering if boiled linseed oil wasn't just as useful for preserving wooden objects?

I know the senior instructor although we haven't talked in years. I'll check with our mutual friends and see if they know the ingredients.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Even tallow goes rancid......
    From what I understand, if you make it right, it doesn't. I made some and put it in a jar with an open lid and stuck in on the counter.....3 or 4 years ago. Still good. Granted, that isn't very long... You are probably right though, it will eventually go bad.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Similar with filtered bacon grease. I made some bacon candles and it took 5 years before the fat went rancid.

Friend gave n=me a small jar or rendered bear grease.......was good for a long time, but did get nasty after a number of years....so maybe the secret is the filtering and straining?

I just pour the bacon grease through a coffee filter to take out the "stuff". A coffee filter will plug up pretty quick so the typical bacon fry I use two filters switching to a clean on about half way through.

I had deer tallow that was in the barn for at least 20 years, it didn't smell bad but to be honest I didn't take a taste.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

How much beer would you have to drink to taste 20 year old deer tallow? I doubt that ages like wine.

Mr. Trump. If elected President would you agree to serve 20 year old deer tallow to Congress?

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Friend gave n=me a small jar or rendered bear grease.......was good for a long time, but did get nasty after a number of years....so maybe the secret is the filtering and straining?
    I filtered my elk tallow with a couple layers of paper towel. Yeah, you have to filter it. If it is pure tallow, then it will last. Anything else in it that isn't bone dry will make it go bad. That is why, when you make pemmican, you have to use really dry jerky.

Also, and I could be wrong here, but I think that tallow from deer, elk, moose, cow will last longer than say a pig. It is different. I have no idea about bear. Of course, you can buy lard at the store, and they don't store it in the cold section. Maybe lard will last just as long if properly made.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Thanks for all the replies & info. Since retirement & all this "free" time I've just been looking for simple projects to "improve" what I carry in my bag. I came across this & thought I would give it a try. I already have a decent bullet lube, patch lube & such but thought this might be a new item to try out. It seems like it will work for field use as stock & barrel protectant, hand lotion & such. Now to just see if it works as a "WONDER" do all magic formula. LOL Thanks!