Thread: SG/Mountain House

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Default SG/Mountain House

I just got an E-mail special from Sportsman's Guide offering the big cans of Mountain House foods, buy one can get the second half price and free shipping.

This is the 25-30 year shelf life stuff and the offerings are for about everything MH makes and not just the bulk carbs.

I snagged 22 servings of ground beef for $40 and 20 servings of scrambled eggs and bacon for $15 (#10 cans) and they will be good until I am 90!

By itself this is about 3 weeks worth of food. Added to foraged fare and other stores it could last a long time.

This is the kind of stuff one can add to stored bulk carbs, garden fare and small game to fill out a meal in an emergency.

Ground beef with pintos, GB with mac and cheese, GB with instant or fresh potatoes, GB with fried okra and sliced tomatoes, GB with sawmill gravy over biccuits, a spoonful added to the Ramen noodles.

Throw a diced potato into the scrambled eggs, or a side of grits, or the rabbit you shot this morning.

This was a one day only offer and requires a coupon code, it is not on their website so PM me for the code if you want it.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 09-13-2016 at 03:02 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I got the same one.....
    Kinda passed it over as the #10 cans are a lot to open and use.....
    Prefer the single serving pack....

So, if opened can you re-seal?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Probably has a shelf life starting with the opening of the can.

I bought this as long term stores for true emergency use. Grid down for 2 weeks, roads closed, snowstorm of the century stuff, so that if I open it I anticipate having most of it used by the end of the event and what I do not use during the problem I can use up soon after it is over.

It will not be opened unless I am certain the event will last more than a day or two.

Kyrats,
    THank you for posting this. If I did not already have a .......hmmm..Lets just say, lot of this exact stuff I would jump on it. great value and a really good product.

Good stuff, and thanks for sharing.

The cans have a limited life once opened. Typically six months or less, depending on the exact product.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Great stuff KYRS!

The longer I store food, the more I would rather just store stuff that can last more than 25 years on the shelf. Then I only have to restock 2 times max.
    My family doesn't have a problem with the #10 cans. But, that is because we just have a lot of people. If I had to open one up in an emergency, we would easily eat it all in a few days. If I open it up to rotate it. We would easily eat it all in less than a year. Most of the cans that are dehydrated or freeze dried, I have found that it will last a year with a little plastic lid that you always close, once you open it. Of course, I live in a fairly dry climate.

I think, once a family has put away a few months worth of food that they normally eat, and just rotate that....... then after that, it is time to start putting back some long term stuff.
    Wheat, honey, oats, rice, beans, tallow, and as much pemmican as you can afford. Then add spices and all that freeze dried or dehydrated meals in #10 cans that you can, to add variety.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Most of my food storage is normal canned goods and packaged dry meals from the grocery having the normal 1-2 year "use by" dates. When they get down to almost out of date I take the entire load to the daughter's place and let her and the 4 munchkins pig out on mac and cheese, rice and sauce and ramen for a couple of weeks. It looks like a cookie monster convention around that place when you drop a big bowl of mac & cheese on the table! It never gets thrown out.

Then I go buy up a few more cases and start all over again.

This is the first long term stuff I have bought since the 1980s. When Y2K rolled around I still had stuff inside the shelf lifespan from the first run. After that ran out of date I decided the ultra long term storage stuff was a waste for me. I anticipated my food supply outlasting me.

Like I said before, this will still be good when I turn 90 and I only bought two cans. My basics are still from Kraft and DelMonte with some Spam and tuna thrown into the mix.

I had a friend who worked staff out at the Philmount Scout Ranch in New Mexico for about 10 years. In 1986 he gave me a #10 can of Chicken and Rice from stock left over from the previous year. I squirreled it away thinking it would be a good long term stash. I could not stand it any longer and last year I opened it up and made a big pot of Chicken and rice. I served it to my family one afternoon along with some chili and Crackers. At the end of the day of shooting and playing they eat the whole pot up with nary a complaint. I told all of them ahead of time it was from my Y2K stash and they all bragged on how "Okay" it was...within the scope of freeze dried backpacking food that is. One of my granddaughter's boyfriends did not believe it was "really" that old until I showed him the can. He is 23 and has eaten a lot of MRE's at the taxpayers expense. He is not a fan of "food in a sack" but he was amazed at the Chicken and Rice.
    Nowadays I am pretty much just like you Kyrats. Most of my "hard core" long term stuff is dried beans, rice, and canned meat. Past that I have boxes of gumbo mix, mac and cheese, Hamburger helper, canned chicken, tuna and salmon. Canned Wolfbrand chili, Hormel Tamales, Canned Clam Chowder that we eat out of all the time so it is continually changing a little and mostly always pretty fresh.

I do use MREs/Mountain House in the stuff that I carry in my pickup truck and some freeze dried stuff when I am actually backpacking..which is getting more rare all the time.

To me, Mountain House and MREs taste the same. At least the spaghetti does. The difference is that MH lasts longer on the shelf.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    To me, Mountain House and MREs taste the same. At least the spaghetti does. The difference is that MH lasts longer on the shelf.
    I agree 100% no difference in taste at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk