Thread: MacGyver 2016

Default MacGyver 2016

My hero, MacGyver, seems to have a new series coming out on CBS. I have seen a few minutes of trailers, and I will have to get used to a younger man with shoulder length hair.
    I hope he still solves problems and gets out of scrapes with paper clips, duct tape and a Swiss Army Knife.
    Last edited by Faiaoga; 09-12-2016 at 04:11 PM. Reason: punctuation

hmmmmm. Tall boots to fill.

Problem for me will be the MacGuber skits.....on SNL....
    Will be hard to concentrate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacGruber

BTW I still carry my SAK everyday.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

He will never match the original.

Only MacGyver would find out his show was cancelled and rebuild a Stargate to tour the universe!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Henry Winkler ("The Fonz"), whose company created and produced MacGyver originally, is a far left anti-guns/anti-Second Amendment Hollywood wonk. The show itself was written to reflect how firearms are evil, only "bad people" have and misuse guns, and no smart and compassionate person would ever own a gun for any reason, especially self defense. The star, Harry Dean Anderson, in real life was as anti-guns/anti-Second Amendment as his character, "MacGyver," and his boss, Henry Winkler.

Enjoy the "new" MacGyver show, boys and girls, and I'll bet its inherent anti-guns message.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

They are all anti-gun. It has been that way since TV was invented!

I guess MacGyver got over it because he was blowing the he!! out of aliens with an AR in his next series.

And I believe MacGyver blew up more people in explosions than the A-Team.

Since TV was invented, television shows have glorified guns. I grew up with TV and remember clearly the many shows where cowboys, soldiers and private detectives would fire hundreds of rounds without reloading and would always incapacitate the bad guy without killing him. Not realistic, but it was commercial entertainment

I do not watch MacGyver for either an anti-gun or pro-gun message. I do like his being able to improvise with a pocketknife and other simple tools. He also threw in a little bit of science that was at least sometimes correct. An entertaining TV show, that is all. If there is any message, it might be to be prepared.

deleted ...

Quote Originally Posted by Faiaoga View Post
    " ... I do not watch MacGyver for either an anti-gun or pro-gun message. I do like his being able to improvise with a pocketknife and other simple tools. He also threw in a little bit of science that was at least sometimes correct. ...
    Nevertheless, the anti-gun messages were written into the shows on direction of the producers and Winkler. As for the "scientific" stuff, the company had a deal with several of the scientists and grad students out at Cal. Tech to come up with the "gimmicks" for MacGyver to use to "save the day." The writers would then incorporate the "gimmicks" from Cal. Tech within the scripts.

As for Anderson using his guns to "kill" the bad guys in his later future fiction show, that is not at all surprising given that he was paid millions of $$$$ to "overlook" his hatred of firearms. That is standard for almost all the anti-gun actors who use guns in their parts as action heroes. As they say in Hollywood, "Money talks and B.S. walks."

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

When I was a kid, I LOVED MacGyver. Definitely one of my favorite shows, along with the A-Team and Airwolf. But, then I went to college and took science and engineering classes, as well as got my first job in research with a lot of scientists. When I starting watching the show again.... well, the science is.... a little of a stretch. I didn't catch it when I was a kid, and they rarely mention it, but Mac is suppose to be a former green beret. Anyways, I just hope they get the science a little better. But, considering most adults have no clue....
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Large bipedal Primate Billofthenorth's Avatar

I imagine the new MacGyver will think of all kinds of inventive ways to get his Iphone to download useful apps, to hack into various government or commercial websites, to do end runs around different gaming software, etc. We live in an age of electronics and that's about all that will appeal to young people anymore. The new guy probably won't leave his Mom's basement for the duration of the series.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Billofthenorth; 09-18-2016 at 11:38 AM.

I just had a thought.

With the return of MacGyver we may also see the return of the Mythbusters, since they spent 15 years disproving most of the stuff they presented on two years of MacGyver!

I would estimate that half of the Mythbuster shows were spent debunking MacGyver stunts.

As long as they never feature the guy in post #11, I'm good with that.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

An evaluation of the new show is an article by Megan Garber in the Atlantic (September 22, 2016). One way the show has been modernized is to have MacGyver's boss be an Asian woman. There is also a female computer expert on his good guy team. We have to be gender sensitive today.

Megan Garber article in theatlantic www.theatlantic.com in Culture
    Last edited by Faiaoga; 09-23-2016 at 03:02 PM.

Geeeez, that actor, Lucas Till, the "new" MacGyver, looks like a nineteen year old metrosexual Pajama Boy who was just featured on the cover of the latest male model magazine. Supposed to be an ex-Special Forces operator?????????? Uh huh.

Oh well, he'll appeal to a certain segment of the demographic that Hollywood seeks.

S.M.

I watched the first episode. I think that was enough.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Wasn't impressed either......
    Nick should have been stayed at CSI.......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Yep..................
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Seniorman
    a nineteen year old metrosexual Pajama Boy

I was so going for that look. Dang it!