Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Police visit while target shooting

there's always some farmer or rancher who'll rent an acre or 2 for $500 a year per acre, so get a dozen guys to share the cost. Most wont make it out there once per year.

Quote Originally Posted by jim Glass View Post
    Next day I visit the police station to introduce myself. The police chief said he was unaware of the second bout of vandalism. I suggested they setup some trail cameras to see who comes to the quarry and who vandalizes the police shooting range. I detected from the police chief's demeanor they don't like me shooting out there.

Next day, I visit the stone quarry owner. He wasn't there at the time but some employees told me the owner didn't care if I went target shooting at the quarry. I left one of my business cards and asked them to tell the owner to call me if anything has changed with my shooting status at the quarry. The employees told me one of the employees is a part-time cop for the city and claimed they installed a trail camera on a light pole and someone took the camera. Never did hear back from the quarry owners.

I'm trying to sort this out. I think this started out where the quarry owners allowed the police to build a berm for shooting on quarry property. Little by little the police start building special target shooting hardware like it was their own property and now it gets vandalized. This is a small town police department. I would think by now they would know who comes to the quarry to shoot and who has permission to be out there. I was prepared to find another place to shoot. But the police did encourage me document anyone else I see shooting at the quarry and report it to them so I may go with that.
    My wife qualified for her CCW in a limerock pit here in Central FL. I'm sure you know they are all over the place here. Her instructors were a Chief of Police in a small town and another LEO. My indoor pistol range is 5 mins from the house, but the rifle range is 40 mins away. We are always on the lookout for some acreage in the Ocala Nat. Forest to shoot in. The perfect package has not been found yet.

Opps what happened next

Tool & Die Maker

I joined a small sportsman club in Iowa not far from the cottage. I have been driving past the club for years thinking it was trap shooting and bow shooting. As it turns out they now have a 300 yard rifle range and pistol range. $65 per year to join, I shoot anytime I want for another $2 day and I can take up to 2 additional guests. Went to my first first meeting last Thursday where they have a nice club house and large storage garage. They own 125 acres with 55 members and all seem like real nice guys trying hard to have a nice club. Some features of the club use the honor system which would never work where I live in Illinois. I took my thermo imaging scope to the meeting and that was a big hit. Went shooting for the first yesterday and had the place all to my self.

Real small club, only 2 benches for shooting but with a cement floor and roof over the benches. The trap range has 5 or 6 positions. I guess I can use the trap range as well, just pay for the clay birds I use.

I think it is going to be great.
    Last edited by jim Glass; 05-04-2019 at 06:20 AM.

See what happens when you get out of a communist state? I'm typing this sitting in S. Illinois at the moment. (sighs). Yes, I stopped at the state line and cased and locked my handgun. @#$# @#46$%^# $#$% $%%%!!!!!!!

The police are trained to try to get someone to trip up their stories to find inconsistencies and depending who you're dealing with they will use anything against you if they feel like it.
    Lost my guns for five years because of an X saying some things that weren't true and I had to talk to the cops over it and I told them I had stress induced anorexia and the idiot I was dealing with turned it around and said I tried to kill myself from not eating. Five year tooth and nail fight with them some of it in courts and I got my guns back as they had zero evidence and zero criminal history to ever justify them taking them away from me in the first place.

That being said the local police in my area know me very well as a hobby shooter / hunter and I've never had a problem with them, Even had them flat out tell the new neighbour that moved in across the way that unless I put a round through her house to not bother them again or they'd charge her.

Tool & Die Maker

The club I joined has worked out well for me. I target shoot there all of the time. Last time out there I'm taking my targets down and when I turn around there was a fully decked out police officer standing there. Turns out he was a club member and wanted to test fire his pistol. After he test fired we had a nice conversation about current events.

Nice! Never hurts to be on good terms with the local popo.