Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new knife, high qualit, small game, advice?

One of my favorite small game knives.

http://www.grohmannknives.com/index....d-knife-detail

Quote Originally Posted by blackfinger View Post
    One of my favorite small game knives.

http://www.grohmannknives.com/index....d-knife-detail
    Looks a lot like the Murphy Knives they made for Herter's back when.......was pictured an discussed in a couple of George Herter's books....

https://www.rmurphyknives.com/store/...r-details.html

Like that style as well.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Yup, it's a much copied design. Grohmann are the originals, part of a series of 4 knives designed by Rudy Grohmann and D.H. Russell. Numbered #1, #2, #3 and #4 all are well thought out timeless designs.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I have one of those too. It is an adequate knife but not one that would make me put everything else away and write home to Mom about.

I am sort of confused over the OP and definitions of small game knives having straight blades and being a foot long overall.

To me small game is pheasant, quail, rabbits, squirrels, grouse and stuff that comes in under the 2-3 pound limit and it just does not take a blade 3-4 inches long to clean them. I could live with M118LR's schapel or the little 1 1/2" blade on my Case medium stockman, and have, on any "small game" I have ever taken.

Some small game we do not even use a knife. On dove and quail we often peel off the feathers and pop off the breast meat with our bare fingers!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I have to agree, the OP's knives he mentioned are more of big game than a small game knives. Small knives can do the job (I watched my wife completely field dress a deer with a 2 1/2" blade pocket knife) but I prefer a little more length. I'm more concerned about it having a slender blade than I am about the length. Also, for me a small game knife gets used for game up to racoon and turkeys. I don't use folders at all on game anymore for the simple reason they're harder to clean afterwards.

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

I agree with the need to clean folders frequently -- just a fact of construction. Forget to do that and you are asking for RUST!! Looking back on my original post, I realized that it has been years since I have actually carried the Trapper style pocket knife. A change in what I do outdoors, basically! I actually have probably carried some variation of the Swiss Army Knife more than any other folding knife, on a daily basis. My present choice is a Victorinox Treckker. Think SAK on steroids. Love the tools!! My only wish was that be available with a Warncliff style blade, a blade style that I have really come to like. To that end, I frequently carry, in addition to or instead of the Trekker, a CRKT Warncliff bladed folder. Only a single blade but it meets my present needs.
    A comment on the Gut Hook on the Remington Waterfowl/Bird Knife. I too never but once used it to remove the guts from a bird. I have used the choke wrenches to install and remove screw-in choke tubes but infrequently.
    Geezer Squad #2

Take a peek at this...

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/CS2...ex-neck-sheath

It should pretty much do all small game and handle larger stuff too, at a $22 price point.
    There ain't too many problems you can't fix with $500 or a 30-06.

Him-"Whats the best knife for survival?"
    Me-"the one that's in your pocket."
    Him-"I don't have one in my pocket."
    Me-"Exactly."

Those are cool...but like a bigger handle......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

All I would ever use on game smaller than a deer is my Buck 110 or my Folding Buck lightweight. A locking folder is all you need. I use my EDC knife all the time, and I wash it all the time, so washing it Is no big deal!

If you want it to last a lifetime, an ESEE Izula II is mighty hard to beat ! Even has a lifetime, no matter what guarantee !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp