Thread: Da Wabbit

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Default Da Wabbit

For those that care they are holding the annual Rabbit Stick Rondivious this week out in Idaho. Or to those that hang out with that group, Da Wabbit.

I would love to attend it one year, but like I said, it is in Idaho and I do not think you can get there from Kentucky, and if you can you have to go somewhere else first.

There was a time when you could not drive from the southern border to the northern border of Idaho without going to another state!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I've been thinking for a few years to get together a small group to drive out there to attend in one vehicle. Throw the gear in a trailer. I would be hesitant to go with anyone I hadn't camped with or spent some time with. We've taken river trips and road trips out west to kayak whitewater with a stranger or two in the mix. Sometimes it didn't work out so well. Too many young Alphas in some groups... one crazy old rafter on one.

It would take about as much time to drive out and back as one would spend in the camp.

I am at the age now when a trip out there would have to be included in a larger plan to visit a few national parks and historic sites and include a motor home.

I also hesitate to camp with folks I do not know. I have lots of stories about those incidents, many not mentionable on open forum and some I would hesitate to tell in private.

You meet all kinds in reenactment camp.

Banned

Perhaps renting a pop-up camper and an itinerary heavy in locally historic sites near the national parks?

Your hesitation to camp with folk's imaginative enough to attend a reenactment, (especially a rendezvous) is indicative of good common sense.

Isn't a rendezvous supposed to be a once a year gathering to let loose all the inhibitions and debauchery of those living alone in the wilderness?

Quote Originally Posted by M118LR View Post
    Perhaps renting a pop-up camper and an itinerary heavy in locally historic sites near the national parks?

Your hesitation to camp with folk's imaginative enough to attend a reenactment, (especially a rendezvous) is indicative of good common sense.

Isn't a rendezvous supposed to be a once a year gathering to let loose all the inhibitions and debauchery of those living alone in the wilderness?
    Yes, but with being politically correct and all...these days...the attempt to make these events into a "family event" has pretty much reduced many to "Quite time",....and no cannon fire after 10:00PM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

My RV barely fits my wife, dog and I. LOL. It's a slide in.

Alafia 'vous is very tame IMHO. It looks like Little House on the Prairie times 20 with all the kids running around. And the Dog Soldiers don't put up with any real disorderly conduct ( neither do the Moms).

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Yes, but with being politically correct and all...these days...the attempt to make these events into a "family event" has pretty much reduced many to "Quite time",....and no cannon fire after 10:00PM.
    Last time I attended a rendezvous it was located in the boundary waters and I was a teenage Coureur de bois. "Family event" it wasn't, wine-skins at arms length came as close to "Quite time" as I can recall. But Thanks for the update, perhaps just the historical sites and national parks would be enough for a tamed Old Man like me.

We still do our local city re-enactment/Rondy event every summer.....but don't travel like we used to.........
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post

There was a time when you could not drive from the southern border to the northern border of Idaho without going to another state!
    Technically, you can do it now, but it is much faster to go through Montana.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    Technically, you can do it now, but it is much faster to go through Montana.
    Kind of like how the most direct path from some parts of Ontario to other places in Canada goes through the states, yeah? Allowing one to bypass the trans-canada and the MMFO.

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    My RV barely fits my wife, dog and I. LOL. It's a slide in.

Alafia 'vous is very tame IMHO. It looks like Little House on the Prairie times 20 with all the kids running around. And the Dog Soldiers don't put up with any real disorderly conduct ( neither do the Moms).
    I was at Alafia in 2012. Drove 2 days to get there, trying to escape snow and ice here in NKY. I nearly froze my butt off! It got down into the 20s a couple of nights. I was equipped for it, but not expecting it.

Good camp though. The last really big camp I have been too. I think the number on my medallion was 2 thousand and something.

If I ever go back I will not waste my time taking food. Too many good food vendors there.

They have been doing Alafia for so long they have the system figured out.

I do not think that the Rabbit Stick is on a par with our reenactment type events though. It is more a hippie, off grid, bug eating, bushcraft celebration with gortex and nylon tents and blurry eyed frizzy headed folks sleeping in their cars and campers. A bushcraft Woodstock as it were.

We do much better than that at the annual WSF jamboree.

Really looking forward to the Jamboree. I have a couple dutch oven dishes I'll cook up to share.

FL Kracaneuener meets are like family get togethers... except nobody gets mad or fights. lol
    Last edited by madmax; 09-12-2016 at 08:11 PM.