Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fighting knife

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post

I though we were talking about a decorator series here, something to hang on the pack to show off !!
    Well, I was. I don't know about the rest of these guys.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

During my ten years in the USMC the fighting knife of choice was the Gerber Mark II. This was carried on the H-harness shoulder strap and was used for a fighting knife only, NOT a utility knife. The K-Bar was used as the utility knife or more commonly the US military Camillus pocket knife that we would acquire from our engineer kits.
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    Well, I was. I don't know about the rest of these guys.
    For pure display and intimidation on the harness i still favor the WW1 standard trench knife. Very cost effective too!

http://www.chkadels.com/Trench-Knife...8-Replica-1088

PVG the Gerber combat knife had just hit the market when I was in Service. One of my buddies in a training cycle bought one and we all soon realized that it had no redeeming value outside direct combat use. You could not even make fuzz sticks with that thing! On top of that the blade on the first models was tilted about 11 degrees from the handle so it would slide under the ribs and sternum easier with a direct thrust.

We did manage to kill and skin a snake with it, which made all the other people on the Group W Bench move away from us, which at the time we considered a benefit.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The Gerber Mark II is strictly a stabbing & slicing fighting knife.

I remember one time not long after I got married I came home and found my young wife using it in the kitchen, I went through the roof! Which is a bit funny now because all I use it for these days is to cut a cake on the Marine Corps birthday.
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com

For pure display and intimidation on the harness i still favor the WW1 standard trench knife. Very cost effective too!

http://www.chkadels.com/Trench-Knife...8-Replica-1088

We did manage to kill and skin a snake with it, which made all the other people on the Group W Bench move away from us, which at the time we considered a benefit.
    So Kyrats. You are a real snake eater then? I know a couple other snake eaters. Thank you, again for your service Kyrats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

Not going to say that I agree, but perhaps you might want to read: https://www.thrillist.com/gear/10-kn...s-for-survival

Just remember, I don't believe that there is a fighting knife, I have no intentions of giving the other guy any chance to respond to my knife attack. Now Rambo had a very impressive decorative knife, it's just a matter of how you would like to be viewed by others.

Not going to do it! Nope, not tonight!

Must control, must control..

Knuckle dusters with a blade! I have thought about brass knuckles. I doubt I would be able to have the clear mind to put them on when I really needed them though.

I like the thinner bladed issue knife that Rick mentioned, the M3. At least that profile might be a better option. The M3 definitely speaks to me more than the Gerber Mark 2.
    Last edited by finallyME; 09-21-2016 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJohnson View Post
    So Kyrats. You are a real snake eater then? I know a couple other snake eaters.

Nope I was not an official "snake eater", I just ate a snake one time while on a training cycle at Ft. Benning. I blame it on the guys I was in the buddy team with. They were both from freekin' Florida!

I do not take the label seriously. At that moment in time I was being trained by the "snake eaters" and some of them gagged and puked a little when we cleaned the snake.

They preferred their comfort level. They managed to have every objective on a hill with road access and when our patrol ended it would just happen to be meal time and there would be a big green truck with hot food sitting on the objective.

We learned real quick that we could send a recon team out of sight and they could climb a tree, spot the food truck, and never look at a compass for the rest of the patrol. Our training score increased dramatically, especially in land navigation.

Banned

I got to be candid, when the Navy sent me to USMC land navigation school in California we ate anything we could lay our hands upon. But they took all our implements of destruction away prior to sending us afield. The only time I got to raid the the food ambulance was during SERE training, and the folks that got caught with the peoples instant chocolate milk in thier canteens got a little special treatment. I was still hoping to get your unvarnished opinion from post #47. LOL.

@ FinallyMe - The Boker M3 is a very comfortable knife to me. The weight is well balanced. I actually like it much better than the Ka-Bar and I like the Ka-Bar. The M8A1 sheath is a great quality sheath. I was impressed to no end with it considering the cheapo nylon sheathes so many knives come with. The knife/sheath combo is about twice the weight of the Ka-Bar. But then the Ka-Bar is in a Kydex sheath, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    @ FinallyMe - The Boker M3 is a very comfortable knife to me. The weight is well balanced. I actually like it much better than the Ka-Bar and I like the Ka-Bar. The M8A1 sheath is a great quality sheath. I was impressed to no end with it considering the cheapo nylon sheathes so many knives come with. The knife/sheath combo is about twice the weight of the Ka-Bar. But then the Ka-Bar is in a Kydex sheath, too.
    I definitely need to buy one...just for the sake of owning a piece of history.....along with a K-Bar....and an M1 Garand....and an MK-2........and an .....
    Just don't tell my wife!

It doesn't matter if we tell her or not. Women buy on the principle that we might think about buying something, which is justification for them actually buying it. Besides, it's always on sale.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Found an old knifehog review on the Boker M3 (made in Germany ironically). Link: http://www.knifehog.com/wp/khblog/bo...-knife-review/

The Ka-bar & the Navy MKII are basically the same knife with a different name finallyMe. You can even purchase a KA-BAR full-sized U S Navy knife. https://www.kabar.com/knives/detail/29

What KA-BAR has to say about thier most famous knife: https://www.kabar.com/most-famous-knife
    Last edited by M118LR; 09-22-2016 at 06:24 PM. Reason: fame

I'm late with this comment, only just now looking at this thread.

What I see in this vid are that the officers are very tactically inept. Lots of mistakes. And they weren't "ready" anyway psychologically for a conflict. Really sucks, but they practically deserved being whooped by one guy with a knife even though they had the numbers and the guns and had him 'surrounded'.

Don't just throw a uniform on just anyone and think that's all you need. Don't be a bunch of kids playing with a rattlesnake or a wolverine. Yer gonna git bit if you don't know what yer doin.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by pgvoutdoors View Post
    During my ten years in the USMC the fighting knife of choice was the Gerber Mark II. This was carried on the H-harness shoulder strap and was used for a fighting knife only, NOT a utility knife. The K-Bar was used as the utility knife or more commonly the US military Camillus pocket knife that we would acquire from our engineer kits.
    I have a good friend who was a Navy SEAL, Team One, who served in Vietnam. Those listed by pgvoutdoors are exactly what my friend told me he carried in Vietnam. He said that a couple of men who collected memorabilia from Vietnam vets offered him a big batch of $$$ for the Gerber and the K-Bar but he refused to sell them. Said they were "old and dear friends" and he'd never get rid of them.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Seniorman View Post
    I have a good friend who was a Navy SEAL, Team One, who served in Vietnam. Those listed by pgvoutdoors are exactly what my friend told me he carried in Vietnam. He said that a couple of men who collected memorabilia from Vietnam vets offered him a big batch of $$$ for the Gerber and the K-Bar but he refused to sell them. Said they were "old and dear friends" and he'd never get rid of them.
    Sure that Navy guy didn't refer to it as a Navy MK II instead of a Ka-bar? Got to be careful what state you are in if your toting the Gerber Mark II.
    Last edited by M118LR; 09-23-2016 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Navy MK II

Quote Originally Posted by M118LR View Post
    Sure that Navy guy didn't refer to it as a Navy MK II instead of a Ka-bar? Got to be careful what state you are in if your toting the Gerber Mark II.
    Yes, it was the Gerber Mark II with the slightly curved handle. My friend showed it to me once along with his K-Bar. Both looked used, but both were razor sharp. He was not carrying it around after he got out of the Navy. He kept it in a drawer at home. Yeah, California doesn't allow a "dagger or dirk" to be carried, but does not forbid ownership. I don't imagine my friend worried too much about what knife he was carrying while in Vietnam.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

I'm usually in a state of euphoria so I should be good.