Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Utah vacation

Default Utah vacation

We are leaving today for our vacation in Park City Utah. We are planning on doing a lot of sightseeing in the central and southern parts.We like to do more of the off the beaten path sort of stuff, not the same old tourists type things. We have found tons of stuff to do but we have never been to Utah before. Is there places to go or things to see that are better than anything else? Oh, and some good home cooking places to eat?

Willie
    Yor are only a failure when you stop getting back up!
    I'm not a hoarder........ "I'M A COLLECTOR"

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Most people go out there to see the natural wonders of their many parks and refuges.

I would recommend anyone going to that area hit the 4 corners historic/archaeological parks.

Casa Bonito is classed as a World Heritage Site and one of the most valuable cultural sites in North America. I think it is just across the border, but you can still travel inside the U.S. without a passport so jump the line and see it.

I don't know anything about their food service establishments.

I think our member Finally Me is from Utah, he would know the burger and fry situation.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 09-08-2016 at 12:40 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Ok thanks,

I've been to Park City a couple of times, but it was winter, there was skiing and it was about 35 years ago. Have a blast - it is a beautiful area.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Arches National Park and Moab UT. If you are a Louie L'aMour fan the Four Corners is right in the center of a lot of his stories. Beautiful country.

One thing to know about Utah is that it is BIG. It isn't Texas Big (used to live there), but still. I haven't been to most of the state, despite living here for a while. Anyways, unless you have a lot of time and want to drive for days.. you will have to narrow down your area to see. There are a lot of cool places, but they aren't necessarily next to each other.

Off the beaten path, non-touristy stuff usually means walking. Park City itself is a tourist town. Most of the locals are either self employed millionaires or they commute to Salt Lake. It isn't a town for poor people. There are some cool stuff to do at the ski resorts during the summer. There are also some pretty cool hikes. I have only gone to one restaurant in Park City. It was a little Greek diner, small mom-and -pop. It was really good. I met a college friend there who was visiting from San Antonio. San Antonio doesn't have hardly any Greek restaurants, so I wanted something that was different. For some reason Utah has a bunch of Greek places.

In Salt Lake, you will want to see some of the tourist stuff. The city center is the main one. The LDS church has their main headquarters at Temple Square, which is the dead center of the city. There are a couple of visitor centers there with tours and history and stuff. There is also a new mall that is right next store. It is kinda similar to downtown Charlotte (the mall that is).
    For restaurants, Pat's BBQ is the best in town for BBQ. It is very similar to NC BBQ. I think the owner moved here from NC, or...was it SC? There are also some great Indian restaurants. The Red Iguana is the best for Mexican food. If you have a bunch of picky kids (I do), I like taking them to Chuck-O-Rama for a buffet. It isn't an amazing restaurant, but it has jello and icecream on tap, and kids are pro-rated, meaning that young kids cost less than old kids. And they will all find something they actually like. My 5 year old just eats jello and icecream. My 14 year old eats about 500 chicken wings. Other restaurants that I like.. Moochies, Granatos, Market Street Grill ($$$$50 a plate), Sushi Burrito, Pho Green Papaya, Oh Mai....

For nature hikes, you can obviously hit the ones close to Park City. There are a bunch. I generally don't hike in that area. I like to go to the Uintas. Park City is close to the Uintas as well. Drive to Kamas, and then east on the Mirror Lake Highway. Two easy hikes you can do are on that road. If you drive to the highest elevation on that road, there is a parking lot next to Bald Mountain. There is a quick hike up to the top of the mountain, from 10500 ft to 11900 ft. My boys (9 and 14) did it in 30 minutes RUNNING the whole way up. I did it in 2 hrs, stopping every so often to not pass out. You can also hike from that same parking lot to a couple nearby lakes. That hike is flat and about 2 miles. Anything on the Mirror Lake Highway costs $6 to park for 3 days. Provo River Falls is just off the road and wheelchair accessible and absolutely beautiful.

If you want to see barrenness, you can always drive west on I80 to Wendover Nevada. You will see what the Salt Flats look like, and then you can stay at a famous gambling/resort place for the night and drive back. The drive is only like an hour and 45 minutes.

Of course, there are many National Parks. I don't have much info on those. They charge a lot to get in, and are mostly south. I just haven't gotten to them yet.
    Last edited by finallyME; 09-09-2016 at 09:50 AM.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    I would recommend anyone going to that area hit the 4 corners historic/archaeological parks.
    You know, I have never been to the 4 corners. I have been all around it though. Many, many times I have driven from Shiprock to Monticello (pronounced "sell-o" not "chell-o" like it should be ). Most of the time I went on highway 491 (used to be highway 666, but they changed it... we called it the devil's highway ). Right after they changed the name, I was driving that way and missed it, because they changed the name, and I went into Arizona to highway 191 instead. So, I have driven around the 4 corners, but never actually went to the 4 corners.

Thanks for the info, we are only staying in park city because that's were our time share is. We planned to visit the Mormon Church, and downtown SLC. But other than that we going to probably travel south. We were originally planning to go to Montana and to Yellowstone. But the wife changed her mind. We have about 8 days. And most will probably be driving and sightseeing. We really thinking of heading to the 4corners. We love seeing that kind of stuff. And maybe doing some scenic drives around PC and That area too.

Thanks a bunch.
    Willie

It is a six hour drive from Park City to 4 corners..... just saying.

Here are 2 scenic drives....
    Mirror Lake Highway. I mentioned this already. I goes from Kamas to Evanston WY. Very pretty. You don't have to pay if you just drive. But it is $6 to park anywhere. Provo River Falls is a little parking lot with a bathroom and a beautiful sight. If all you do is park in the parking lot, the Bald Mountain spot is also very scenic. You can really see far there. You can also stop at many different lakes.
    There is the Alpine loop Hwy. It wraps around Mount Timpanogos. If you start from Hwy 189, I think it is free. If you start from Highland, then I think you have to pay. There is a place to stop there that is really pretty called Cascade Springs. http://www.americansouthwest.net/uta...e_springs.html It is a great place for young kids or old people or even wheelchair bound to stop at.
    Last edited by finallyME; 09-09-2016 at 03:18 PM.

Default Utah vacation

Willie,
    I know you know this and are planning on doing this and it may sound silly but be sure and drink lots of water and carry a bottle of water every time you get out of the vehicle. It is way dry out there and water is our friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had a GREAT time. Put 1,500 miles on the rental car. It is some beautiful country out west. Had to go back to work to get some rest😃

Yea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad you had a good time. Just remember ....... pics or it didn't happen.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Glad you had a safe trip and a great time.

Beautiful pictures.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Here are a few more. We only took about a thousand...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for taking us along....great pic's.....
    The primitive drawing aren't that good.....LOL
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

If you look closely that cave painting says, "I will not talk when dad is hunting." He had to paint that 50 times.

You will have to tell us where the pictures were taken. I recognize a few places, but not all. Was the buffalo from Yellowstone or Antelope Island?