Thread: creating my first DIY shelter

Default creating my first DIY shelter

I'm looking to do some hunting/camping over the next couple of months. I live in the SW Michigan area and I'm wanting to go out around here and further up north this winter.

I'd appreciate some advice on setting up a DIY shelter, what tarps I could use for the weather I'll be running in to and what others have found successful in the past.

Anything helps, appreciate it!

At last an actual Wilderness and Survival question…

I have never camped in snow, and only once north of I-30… so, my advice is based on imagination…

I’d find a clear spot on the south side of a hill and double layer tarps with plenty of insulation from the ground. Then the next morning I’d walk to the nearest airport and buy a ticket to Houston. Then head south from there…

Alan

Insulate, block the wind, dress appropriately, enjoy. Interesting email account you have, considering your topic. I really hope that you are here to learn and not spam.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

You think it might be a spammer and not just some guy wanting to learn how to freeze to death slowly in Michigan in the wintertime?

Alan

LOL I can see your concern but I am just here to learn. I live here near the lake and I am taking a trip up to Newaygo, MI to do some hunting and backpacking with some buddies. We were throwing around the idea of doing some ice fishing as well and I want to be as prepared as I can be.

I do marketing as my day job and just happen to use that email.

Gotta make that bread somehow!

Cool.

I have camped in a tent in -25 and been cozy. I have camped in a tent at 30 and was cold. It's all about being prepared.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

For decades, like 60 of them, there was an old guy named Mors Kochanski that taught survival for the Canadian military. He was the real deal.

He developed an improvised system called a super shelter using a combination of plastic and natural materials. I'll include a link, I hope it works.

It was developed for use in the boreal forests which includes your Michigan woods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGSC8iYhC7k
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

This is awesome, thanks for sharing.