Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tin Cloth Recipe

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

kyratshooter - Your formula and research are well thought out, thanks. Also, very good questions and comments by the forum, a pleasure to read the thread.
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com

Just got done with my first batch. I used one part boiled linseed oil, 1/2 part VM&P Naphtha and 1/3 part beeswax. I keep bees, so I had some old comb to melt into it. It was quite dirty with lots of bee stuff in it - propolis, pollen,etc. On the other hand, the old comb is easy to melt - it's so thin, it mixes in quickly. It was a warm, sunny day so I coated the items outside on the ground. The mixture was very watery and stayed that way until it was almost completely used. Because of this, the two items I waxed probably got too much wax. It quickly soaked all the way through the cloth - no heat gun needed. I found out the dirty comb was no problem. All the bits of stuff just stayed on the surface of the cloth and was easily brushed away. I waxed a cap and a pair of pants. It went very quickly and was far easier than I thought it would be. I used a small dense piece of foam to spread the wax and it worked very well - easy to work into all the seams. The hat probably took no more than two minutes to coat and the pants were done withing 15 minutes. Using this method, the time and effort was minimal.

When done, I hung the items in the attic of my barn where it is quite warm during the days. I'll update this down the road when I have an idea as to how effective this was.

That linseed oil is great stuff and I'm glad that this thread has shown me how to make this tin cloth. I've got quite a bit of linseed oil and I've used in on many things because it has the unique characteristic of hardening so well. Another unique characteristic that it has is that it catches fire very easily if you wad your rag up and toss it somewhere. More often than not, you will have a fire. Be careful where you put your rags and dry them as well.

If you lay your rags out flat you won't have the problem of spontaneous combustion. At least I've never had a problem with it. The oil oxidizes in air and the process of oxidation releases heat. As the heat increases it speeds up the oxidation which releases more heat and that cycle continues until the rags burst into flames. If the rag is laying flat the heat can escape. If you have a pile of rags then the heat is trapped and keeps increasing until ... Uh oh. Honey, hand me the fire extinguisher.

Flat is good. Linseed oil is a very different kind of oil when it comes to spontaneous combustion. Flat will work.

Here's an update on the items I treated with my mix. After 3 days, the smell is gone or at least gone in the room the garments are hanging. If I put my nose right on the items, I can smell it, but the drying process appears to have progressed quite rapidly. They are dry to the touch, but if I rub them, I do get a waxy film on my fingers. It could be that the VM&P caused the drying to go more rapidly. I own a pair of waxed McAlister pants and comparing the two, my homemade waxed pants seem to contain more wax, are stiffer and heavier, but it is a heavier cloth than what is on my McAlisters. I'm encouraged by what I'm seeing so far.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Do not forget that after the items dry completely you will need to go over them with the hair dryer and remelt the entire item so it will completely even out. Everything will sort of glaze together.

It does not require another drying session for the retouch and the items will be dry again overnight.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Do not forget that after the items dry completely you will need to go over them with the hair dryer and remelt the entire item so it will completely even out. Everything will sort of glaze together.

It does not require another drying session for the retouch and the items will be dry again overnight.
    I won't forget that part. I have seen a few sites that recommend drying the item in the sun. You say, not to put it in the sun. What does the sun do that we want to avoid?

Quote Originally Posted by Str8arrow View Post
    I won't forget that part. I have seen a few sites that recommend drying the item in the sun. You say, not to put it in the sun. What does the sun do that we want to avoid?
    Nothing wrong with exposing the tincloth to the sun. The hair dryer or heat gun just allows you to do it uniformly and at your own convenience. You also have the consideration that bees wax does not melt until it reaches 140f degrees so it will take a really hot day to get everything to blend. It has been hot here this summer, but we have not hit 140 yet!

Chances are that you are going to be wearing these garments while in the sun at some time anyway, after all it is outdoor wear. The sun is not going to hurt it at all and I would suppose it provides a refreshing service for the treatment.

Putting in the sun, wasn't to melt anything. I was thinking it would speed the drying process. When I coated the fabric, it was a very hot, sunny day and I did it outside in the sun. The mixture was almost like water and when I put in on the cloth, it didn't harden for several minutes. It appeared to spread very evenly and thoroughly while I was putting it on. 5 days later, it still looks like a finished product. I will hit it with the heat gun, but I'm not really expecting it to look any different. The cloth already looks saturated and is evenly colored.

Soooo.....anyone wearing this stuff yet?.....
    How is it feeling....sticky?, rubbing off?......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I wore the light jacket to the grocery the other day in the rain.

Only thing I noticed was that is smelled like my grand-dad's coat rack from back in the day and was in need of breaking in.

I expect to get some good wear out of the chore coat when winter arrives.

I've got to try this.....

It's been raining here the past couple days, so I've been wearing the cap. It sheds water, no problem. It still has a very faint smell, but seems to be getting less each day, so I expect it will have a rather neutral smell shortly. It is not in the least sticky or tacky. It left no residue on my skin that I could detect. I'll be wearing the pants this weekend while in the woods. It's supposed to rain every day for the next 3-4 days, so I'll soon have a good idea on the value of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Str8arrow View Post
    It's been raining here the past couple days, so I've been wearing the cap. It sheds water, no problem. It still has a very faint smell, but seems to be getting less each day, so I expect it will have a rather neutral smell shortly. It is not in the least sticky or tacky. It left no residue on my skin that I could detect. I'll be wearing the pants this weekend while in the woods. It's supposed to rain every day for the next 3-4 days, so I'll soon have a good idea on the value of this.
    Keep us posted.....need pics.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Large bipedal Primate Billofthenorth's Avatar

How do you "clean" this stuff after you've worn and sweated in the jacket for a few months?
    I've tried soaking in water to kind of get the B.O. out but it never quite goes entirely away. I guess it doesn't really matter that much since I'm usually alone on a hike or snowshoeing. Then again, maybe that's the reason I'm alone when hiking or snowshoeing.....hmmm.
    Last edited by Billofthenorth; 12-18-2016 at 07:49 PM.

Iy's going to rain tomorrow here. But Tues I'm doing a poncho for an upcoming 'vous.

Quote Originally Posted by Billofthenorth View Post
    How do you "clean" this stuff after you've worn and sweated in the jacket for a few months?
    I've tried soaking in water to kind of get the B.O. out but it never quite goes entirely away. I guess it doesn't really matter that much since I'm usually alone on a hike or snowshoeing. Then again, maybe that's the reason I'm alone when hiking or snowshoeing.....hmmm.
    According to the Filson people you use a soft brush and water only. No soap, it removes the finish.

Do not Dry clean.

Do not machine wash.

Don't know how I missed this entire thread. Need to somehow save this. Thanks KYRS
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I saw Kyratshooter's coat at the get together in Kentucky this year and it looked great, nice color, soft, and pleasant smell. Good as any oil skin I've seen.
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com