Thread: searched the world over

Default searched the world over

I recently went to a primitive skills outing. I took my old timer 3 blade stockman with me, it's what I use for fine work. Keep it good and sharp. anyhoo I could not find it, went into panic mode. Had this knife forever, can't remember when I didn't have it. Looked everywhere three times or more. Always keep it on my windowsill. no where to be found. Down to the cabin ten times, the pole barn, the gunroom, the basement shop, the work van, the chicken coop, the yamaha rhino, the garage and then back again. Luck would have it I found it in the vehicle I took to the outing.
    I was sweating bullets lol, this three blade isn't any different than most other than it's mine and it's special. lol

Anyhoo, here is a photo of a project from the outing. It's a black ash basket and pencil holder. It's been over 40 years since I seen a black ash processed into splints.

here it is, I made the pencil holder and the teacher gave me the basket as a gift. The teacher is Nick Dillingham of Black Thunder Studios, he has more of a facebook presence than forums. Primitive skills is what he teaches full time. He is well known for his crooked knives. I would like to work with black ash some more but with the ash borer, it's difficult to find.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Banned

randyt, fine work is best left to a scalpel. Perhaps wielded by those that I could direct (take) you to. Traveled the World Over, but namedropping isn't my game. Although, if pressed, I shall drop names that name droppers have to research to cringe from. But all I have done is far away and Long,Long,Long,Long ago at best.

LOL, no name dropping here but if someone gives me a gift I will mention their name.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Glad you found your "Old friend"...still looking for the Russell Green River rondy knife, I have had forever.....gone.

Cool basket.....and quite a gift.

Just picked up Adirondack Style, pack basket ......made by an Amish woman....at the farmers market....not a true example but well done, with leather strapping....
    Will post it up here in a few days or so....

PS....."Seached the world over" brought to my mind......HE HAW!

Last edited by hunter63; 09-04-2016 at 09:27 PM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Must be there somewhere, you'll probably find it in the darndest place, have you checked the fridge? That's my luck. I've been wanting to make a pack basket for some time but it takes time and I'm in short supply at times.

yup Hunter, tht's what I was thinking when I titled the thread lol

Banned

Happy I could break the ice. Hope we can have a discussion of substance in the future. Till then, hope you find many curious students.

Hunter63 beat me to it. lol

Cool project.

H63 - I know exactly where your knife is........its in the last place you will look.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Well, I on my second batch of Wahoo Killer $1.99 knives.......and putting them away,.... in every place I can think off....using the "My mind works the same,.... if I don't pay attention to it......So I would naturally would put one in "The special place" where I will know where it is....."
    Nada
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

The baskets are pretty interesting Randy. I have still seen quite a bit of black ash in the lowlands down from the north side of the floodwaters. It's been dead for some time and I don't know what is good and what isn't for baskets. There is quite a bit of very small young ash of an inch in diameter growing again and don't know what kind of ash it is or if that is any good for baskets either. All I know is hey look there's one. No big deal if you want a small tree, but you will probably find what you need now that you are thinking about it.

The ash has taken a hard hit with the ash borers. Any ash will work for splints but back ash is the easiest to work. Generally if your feet get wet and you are looking a a ash tree it's probably black ash. I'm looking for a live black ash about 8 inches in diameter and will travel to get it. Been looking for a good specimen for some time now. Are you talking fletchers?

Yes Randy that is the place. I will watch, but doubt I will see anything living except for the small one inch ones by the road. I'm pretty sure the little ones should be black ash because that is where the black ash was growing. But could be the ash that is neither white nor black and has a bark more similar to basswood and is bigger. As far as I know, the ash borer killed them all, but I'll watch.

could be pumpkin ash

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Glad you found your "Old friend"...still looking for the Russell Green River rondy knife, I have had forever.....gone.

Cool basket.....and quite a gift.

Just picked up Adirondack Style, pack basket ......made by an Amish woman....at the farmers market....not a true example but well done, with leather strapping....
    Will post it up here in a few days or so....

PS....."Seached the world over" brought to my mind......HE HAW!

That's exactly what popped into my head when I read the title!

Glad you found your knife. Gorgeous baskets.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!