Thread: Oklahoma Earth Quake

Default Oklahoma Earth Quake

Kickapoo River Valley in SW Wisconsin.....cabin on the side of the hill.....Dogs started barking...and felt the house shake for a 30 second or so...quit and had another quiver for a couple of seconds.......time matches up 7:02 AM per news....
    Not sure but was weird......
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/rec...7Kz&ocid=wispr

They say the valley is old......pre last glacier....so lots of scree....like jello in a bowl....we could feel ever hit of the pile driver down river 4 miles......

Everyone OK?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

That was a heck of a quake yesterday - it still feels weird for me cause I never experienced an earthquake until they started so frequently in these parts a couple years ago or so, and cause up till then I just didn't think "Oklahoma" when thinking of earthquakes.

Mostly they've been little jiggles that were more like someone overweight was walking across the floor. Just quaint little novel curiosities. But yesterday's makes two so far around here (that I've personally felt) which made me actually sit up and understand the fear of them...it finally started to feel like a real possibility that my building might come apart a little bit.

What a strange thing. In Oklahoma. Now I know what they're like.
    Last edited by WalkingTree; 09-04-2016 at 04:08 PM.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

Aren't they starting to attribute the increased earthquake activity in Oklahoma to fracking? If that's the reason, it could explain why they're coming so frequently for you now.

Hunter I live about 11o miles pretty much due south of the epicenter of yesterdays 5.6 earthquake. Everyone I know felt it/heard it. Folks in north Texas called me, within 10 minutes of it to check on me. I missed it. I was driving down a bumpy "section line" dirt road on my way to shoot some more dove. When I got there all the lads were pretty fired up about the big quake.

But that is really, REALLY weird that you had one at the same time. Have you ever read much about the New Marid Fault line? Or the earthquake in 1811-1812? pretty neat reading...
    By the way of all the "worst Case" scenarios you make do I have more true apprehension about surviving a 8+ earthquake that almost anything you can try and create....except of course for Zombies...

Glad to hear for you and being OK.....
    We have had them in the Midwest, I told....but I personally never felt one ....city house is 50 mikes north of Chicago.

As the cabin is up on sonit piers and blocks.....even the dogs playing grab-azz can shake the house....LOL.
    But this was different.....and the thought that went thru my mind was "quake" as the house just seemed to "roll"......

Oh well......
    When we travel south down Hy I 57 to I 55 we go thru New Madrid.....and wonder about the sand blows and the fact that the Mississippi reversed direction and made a lake.....Interesting.

I had a great+ uncle (Elder Stephen) that was one of three Baptist preachers in Illinois Territory at the time of the New Madrid earthquake. He was asked to travel to New Madrid to help baptize those that wanted to be saved before the end of the world. He was afraid of horses and didn't own one so his neighbor loaned him one for the trip. He mounted the horse until he came to a stream or river. He would dismount, undress to his "nether garments" then lead the horse across. Safely on the other side he would redress, remount and ride on. You can only push the Lord so far and riding an animal across a stream must have been too far to him. They baptized 1000 a day for a week or more. Then he safely returned home applying the same method he used to ride down there.

Documented in Harvesttime on the Prairie - The History of Baptists in Illinois.

So they were "Fracking" back in.....1811 -1812......Or was that Tecumseh the prophet predicted it?

Rick,
    That is a neat neat story! It may be simply a easy way to manage crossing a stream when you are not comfortable riding. I know that more than once I have waded a crossing because I was a little apprehensive about how a "green" mule or horse was going to behave. Since he was not a "horseman" and probably a little "fearful" his solution was very smart. It also says a lot about his commitment and devotion to his calling and beliefs. Good man.

Thank you very much for sharing it

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    So they were "Fracking" back in.....1811 -1812......Or was that Tecumseh the prophet predicted it?
    No fracking in the Tejon Pass, 1857, 7.9 R. No fracking in 1906, San Francisco, 8.0 R. No fracking in Long Beach, 1936, 7.1 R. No fracking in Alaska, 1964, 8.0 R. No fracking in Northridge, Ca., 1994, 7.0 R. etc., etc., etc.

The earth underneath our feet, forever, has been moving, notwithstanding fracking. It shall continue unabated ... forever. The oil industry is just another good whipping boy for the greenies and of course, the ignorant.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

I did read that the faults in Oklahoma had been stable until the last five years. Oklahoma shut down 13 waste water wells after the quake. If you lubricate stuff it's probably going to move.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ake-study.html

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I did read that the faults in Oklahoma had been stable until the last five years. Oklahoma shut down 13 waste water wells after the quake. If you lubricate stuff it's probably going to move.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ake-study.html
    Yea, kinda where I was going with my post too. Wonder if it's self-inflicted.

Quote Originally Posted by Seniorman View Post
    No fracking in the Tejon Pass, 1857, 7.9 R. No fracking in 1906, San Francisco, 8.0 R. No fracking in Long Beach, 1936, 7.1 R. No fracking in Alaska, 1964, 8.0 R. No fracking in Northridge, Ca., 1994, 7.0 R. etc., etc., etc.

The earth underneath our feet, forever, has been moving, notwithstanding fracking. It shall continue unabated ... forever. The oil industry is just another good whipping boy for the greenies and of course, the ignorant.

S.M.
    That's called, as any old duck hunter knows, "The McGurggle Wiggle"......Miss a duck every once in a while because of that.....
    With the tectonic plates shifting around it's a wonder we can even stand up......

Quote Originally Posted by NightSG View Post
    Hurtful...just plain hurtful..(says the Okie who did not feel it)

Quote Originally Posted by DSJohnson View Post
    Hurtful...just plain hurtful..(says the Okie who did not feel it)
    Learned to sleep through the neighbor's donkey scratching himself on your trailer?

Bhohahahaha
    That there is funny, I don't care who you are........

That is funny. I hope there are never any earthquakes around here. It would be shame to loose a good bus body because it fell off the concrete blocks. Bend a frame and your house is ruined.