Thread: Letter with hand drawn map delivered....

Default Letter with hand drawn map delivered....

This made me laugh a bit and recall an incident from my childhood......... Pretty cool...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/de...emote-iceland/

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

When my father passed many years ago......and old boss at the DNR office...that had been reassigned....had retired and was in a nursing home.
    He hear about MF passing and sent a letter to MM addressed very much the same.

In the old days we got our mail from the Conversion Dept. (name.. back when) office...so He didn't know the street address and was getting a bit forgetful....

Letter was addressed to
    "Henry's wife in white house with red shutters,
    across from school house.....
    Town name
    Wisconsin.

I looked for that letter in MM stuff when she passed....she saved everything....
    Still have her stuff so may find it yet.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Nice. I like it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

When I worked outside one of the small towns I worked in had no addresses. Everyone had a post office box. Every order I went on had an address of P.O Box. The volunteer fire chief knew where everyone lived so I'd stop by his little gas station and he'd give me directions. I"m sure many, many rural post offices and fire departments were the same way. I don't know if those were the good old days but it was a long time ago.

MM got her mail at the Post Office till she passed......2002....of course was only 4 blocks to main street....
    I sure that this happens a lot......just caught my attention.

Yeah, it is cool. And it was a much simpler life style too.

"Fred, where did Bonnie Jones move to?"
    "You know where the white tractor tire flower bed is?"
    "Yeah,"
    "Turn left there and it's the third house on the left."

I won't even talk about the larger town where everyone took their house number with them when they moved. You could have three 207s in the same block on opposite sides of the street!

.....Or Out west....directions
    Yeah, go down to the first left.....look dor the gravel road to the right.....will be the second ranch.....
    (They don't tell you it's 60 miles to the "first left".....the gravel road means it a private road of a well to do rancher....the state road in dirt.....for 20 more miles....and you are in a different state.)

Third coconut palm tree on the seaward side, just past the village store. Street names? We don't have any. House numbers? No such thing.

We used to listen to the AM radio station for notices such as "Viliamu Fa'asavalu of Vailoatai, please go to the Leone Post office to pick up your package sent by your cousin in Wellington, New Zealand." Privacy in communication was not a concern. To send a letter to someone in a nearby village, you gave it to the local bus driver and told him the name of the person you want to send it to.
    Last edited by Faiaoga; 09-03-2016 at 08:14 PM.

When I was sent to manage an office in one or our more "rural" towns, they did not have what is referred to as 911 addresses. Every customer file had directions and hand drawn maps on them. I was having trouble finding a home one day where the directions stated turn right at the cow tied to the big oak tree. When I finally got to the home, the homeowner apologized......she moved the cow to an area where she needed the grass trimmed.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

....or turn at the silver tower.......except you pass it at night?....can't see it anyway.

Can't tell ya how many times I was getting directions sitting in a saloon......so would run out to the truck, grab my map book...have the guy mark the spot on the map...and write down hos address and phone number.....

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

It gets confusing back here also, the 4 houses on this road aren't numbered.........the men in 3 of the houses are named Troy also the man that leases the west pastures name is also Troy.

Did one of them Troys used to play for Dallas Cowboys?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

When I first joined the F.D. here in 1974, there was no 911 or even any kind of radio system or dispatch. They used a phone tree calling and gave directions such as that. It took me about five years or so to get them to put in a VHF system at our station with just three portables mounted in the trucks. This was the only real radio system among five vol depts. The big city had a system. Oh what fun it was,lol.

Bill
    NRA Life Patron Member
    Southern Indiana Rifle and Pistol Club
    K9GDG

Every time an older person dies, its like burning a full set of encyclopedias that will never be published again. So, if you ever want to learn more of anything, just find a old tradesman and hang out with him and then when he passes on, not the full set will burn, you'll have parts of it to pass on to others.