Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Naked and Afraid Dual Survial question

Default Naked and Afraid Dual Survial question

My daughter (41YO AP Lit and Lang teacher in OKC) DVRed a recent showing of "Naked and Afraid Dual Survival" she saw and wanted my thoughts on. The participants used a "pressure board" method of starting a fire. I have used a "fire piston" some but I have never seen this technique used. What are y'all experience, knowledge, and thoughts on this way of starting a fire? I looked at You Tube some but I am interested in all y'alls take on this.
    Last edited by DSJohnson; 09-05-2016 at 12:26 PM.

Is that another term for a fire plow?

Fire pistons work, they can work quiet well, esp with char cloth and some good tinder...
    I have seen them used, never actually used one myself, My preferred method is and always will be firesteel/ferro rod.
    Another thing about a fire piston is that they not too difficult to make.
    Last edited by Antonyraison; 09-02-2016 at 03:35 AM.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

Haven't been watching N&A lately....so missed that.
    Anyway....Are you talking about the "Fire role"?
    Material with some damp ash rolled between two flat boards causing it to smolder?

So I have tried it with a shop rag...and did get it hot and smoldering,....didn't take the time to blow into a flame...kinda kept going out.
    I'm sure it would work....but my attention span and amount of timeI can comfortably maintain physical activity, (or care to)...... I gave up and put it in my, "Yeah, looks good... something to try again, and another method of fire.

Fire roll with natural fiber....

Just some comments.....
    Fire pistons....don't think that a pressure board refers to a fire piston?
    Cool method but kind hard to make one in the wild unless you have something to make it out of....Maybe bamboo?

Any "primitive" method that you can't at least find the materials to make and use it ....may as well just carry a BIC.

This may be able to be pulled off with a split smooth wood (the boards)....fiber of some sort...vid show yucca...but the only yucca in the part of the world is in someone's yard....may get hollered at....and may be just as easy to knock on the door and ask for a lite?

I would imagine you can get the fiber form a bandana, shirt or other cloth..... should would work as well as a shop rag....

Note the secret seems to be the ash for a previous fire.....creates the friction (I think?)

Anyway please advise.
    Last edited by hunter63; 09-02-2016 at 11:14 AM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Creek stewart used the method on "fat guys in the woods". Took a tampon and placed it between two boards and "rolled" the top board back and forth while pressing down. It worked, but it didn't look like it was all that easy. Cool to know, but doubt I'll ever do it.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Natertot,
    That is exactly what these two guys did. They "unraveled" a tampon and then put some ground up charcoal from a chemical hand warmer in the cotton then they rolled it using a clip board the had cut in two pieces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, You need to know ALL the fire making techniques......or you can't call your self a True Bushcrafter........(LOL)

Including running around in the lightning storm holding up a 3 iron....Don't use a 1 iron or 2 iron....Even God can't hit them.....

Was wondering if the fire roll is the pressure board.
    Last edited by hunter63; 09-02-2016 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Well, You need to know ALL the fire making techniques......or you can't call your self a True Bushcrafter........(LOL)

Including running around in the lightning storm holding up a 3 iron....Don't use a 1 iron or 2 iron....Even God can't hit them.....

Was wondering if the fire roll is the pressure board.
    Hunter I think it is. From what my daughter described to me it is almost exactly the same method and process. Thank you guys. I knew y'all would know about it.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Every time I see one of those gimmicks I stop to wonder....

How many times can an otherwise intelligent person go to the woods and forget their lighter, and ferro rod, and matches????
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

No kidding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went through a friction fire phase. Real proud of myself. Then I went camping with Crash and he whipped out a road flare out of his fire kit. I felt just a little stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post

How many times can an otherwise intelligent person go to the woods and forget their lighter, and ferro rod, and matches????
    Well...... you probably don't want to know.

Of course, I do know how many times a boy scout will go out on campouts and forget a flashlight, and fire making stuff, and a spoon....and..... I would never loan those things out, because they have to suffer to learn... but that doesn't stop them from forgetting....every time!

When ever we left, I would check on the important stuff like sleeping bag, clothes, sleeping mat. After that, I don't check up on them. I want them to learn.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    Well...... you probably don't want to know.

Of course, I do know how many times a boy scout will go out on campouts and forget a flashlight, and fire making stuff, and a spoon....and..... I would never loan those things out, because they have to suffer to learn... but that doesn't stop them from forgetting....every time!

When ever we left, I would check on the important stuff like sleeping bag, clothes, sleeping mat. After that, I don't check up on them. I want them to learn.
    Finally,
    Exactly how an older Scoutmaster advised me when I became a Scoutmaster. "Let them learn from their mistakes/It will not kill them and probably won't even hurt them much at all to do without whatever they forgot"

I did always try to make sure the guys who needed meds had them before we left.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I watched one of the dual survival episodes where they took two U.S. Congressmen out and dumped them on an island.

They worked on friction fire for a week and never got a flame.

Cold, wet, eating raw food, totally miserable.

Then when the plane came to pick them up they popped a road flare!

No wonder congress can not accomplish anything!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post

Why carry a lighter when you can carry a tampon, clip board and charcoal?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    I went through a friction fire phase. Real proud of myself. Then I went camping with Crash and he whipped out a road flare out of his fire kit. I felt just a little stupid.
    You should see what I used before road flares.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

It is good to know all these things, but unless you are going out to do "survival stuff" for practice....
    It's good to have a back up.

Was at a Rondy, practicing my "flint and steel" fire lighting, for an event that afternoon.
    Was having a problem catching a spark...was hot humid and I wasn't holding my mouth right?...anyway....was working up a frustrating sweat.....
    Stopped for smoke which I lit for my BIC I carried in a leather pouch hanging around my neck......Lit it and took a drag.......

Young boy was watching the whole process....says "Why don't you just use the lighter to light that fire....."
    Hummmmm

I like a bic lighter and consider anything else just a novelty or a hobby. One of my hobbies is fire drill, but I figure my chances of ever needing to use it in an emergency are about zip. People are amazed by it much the same way they are amazed at a magic trick.
    I'm interested in that roller jobby thing. Often nettle is easy to find here and so is cedar inner bark fiber for material and it can be made quite soft like cotton. I guess you need to bring boards with you or have an axe. I would have guessed that powdered charcoal from an old fire would make better material than ash since it has friction and would hold a coal for a long time, but I don't know how the whole things works. But, I like it. Another magic trick.
    The one thing that these little magic fire tricks do is interest people in how to make a fire. That is important because I have seen many people at a fish camp resort that I hang out at that really have probably only made ten fires in their whole life if that. I have brought a mountain of cedar kindling to people and explained that it was kindling to help them start their fire only to see them put 100% of it on the fire when I was 20 feet away. They did not understand the word kindling I guess. I have watched them try to start a fire by making some big teepee thing with sticks stuffing newspapers under them for an hour in dry conditions. My friend the owner said, don't interfer, let them go. Finally we went over there with some excuse and I walked into the woods close to their camp, in the pitch black, and broke off a couple branches, put it under their teepee thing and lite it with a flick of the bic. They were from the city and they didn't know. I don't think there is a single person in this site with such a disablity, but they do exist. A little magic show about fire is sometimes good for people like this as well as for boy scouts who have lived in an envirornment where they never had to make a fire. It's just a learning tool. You can tell them a too use little sticks first, but they won't listen till you get their attention or they have a little fire starting hobby.

Impressive stuff, especially considering he never even lost the toothpick!

Quote Originally Posted by edr730 View Post
    I like a bic lighter and consider anything else just a novelty or a hobby.
    I like to know a few primitive methods in case the Bic is empty right when I need it, though my kit has at least three more scattered throughout the pack, and two of those inside rigid containers where they won't get broken unless the pack is run over by a truck. Then a couple of cheap firesteels are still better than friction, but again, require that the pack is with me. The one lighter in my pocket, plus decent skill in prepping a fire lay is enough for at least a few days, even if it's near empty at the start of the issue and of course, if hunkering down, more attention should go into keeping the fire going than rebuilding it daily.