Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Survival kits for your firearms

True story. A couple of years ago a string of car jackings started downtown. After about the fourth or fifth a guy got jacked, gave up his car and unloaded his .45 after the two guys hopped in. Killed the driver and wounded the passenger. No more car jackings.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Post Let's be consistent here.

Quote Originally Posted by Stony View Post
    i guess we do live indifferent worlds.
    i have several guns and for each plenty of ammo.
    for the more common more ammo than for the not-so-common.
    besides cleaning kits i do not need anything.

should the need arise for another fireamr, i just take it off someone.
    Stony's response on the "Firearms Poll": "NO. Guns should be banned."

Uh, Stoney? I get paid to give advice. It's part of my job. Please consider this free advice a public service, so to speak:

1. Tell the truth. If you can't tell the truth, say nothing.

2. Be consistent and don't contradict yourself. Changing your story causes others to question your veracity.

3. People that you try to impress often end up laughing at you.

4. Never make a statement that you can't back up or a promise you can't deliver.

5. NEVER MAKE A THREAT, PERIOD. Most people who make threats can never back them up. And be careful - the person you threaten may be one of those your mother warned you about when you were growing up.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Ken - one of the things you will learn about Stony is that he does alot of "drive by postings". He rarely responds to questions and as he once said (paraphrasing) I come and go as I please, so deal with it. I think that most on here just laugh - after all we need a good chuckle every now and then.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Default Reply to Woodwose.

Woodwose, please know that I respect you and your opinion as written in this thread. However, I must disagree with your position on gun ownership and our rights in general.

I sincerely believe that the founding fathers framed the Second Amendment as a safeguard of the people AGAINST the possibility that our government may forget that its purpose is to serve the people rather than to dictate to them.

I have watched as our individual rights, most particularly our right to privacy, have been been endlessly chipped away at over the last few decades and more particularly since 9/11. Boston has recently instituted backpack checks on subways and New York now has police teams with machineguns patrolling its subways. Does this remind you of the films of the 70's and 80's which depicted the former East Germany and U.S.S.R? Is something happening here?

Surveys show that a majority of US citizens are willing to give up many of their individual and/or privacy rights in return for governmental "guarantees" of a "safer society." I AM NOT ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE.

"Any people that would give up liberty for a little temporary safety deserves neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Many (many many) years ago, I had an English teacher who was about to retire. Politically, she was very liberal, we disagreed on most issues, and, although she passed away long ago, I adore her to this day. A required reading in her class was a book titled It Can't Happen Here. This book illustrates how a series of seemingly innocent and "patriotic" acts suddenly results in a dictatorship in this nation. It's an extremely plausible scenario. Compare it with what is happening here today. I'm going to try to find a copy if it's still in print or otherwise available. That book is a "must read" in my opinion. In fact, I'll try to obtain several copies and ask my kids, family, friends, and acquaintances to read and return so I can keep them circulating.

When will the SHTF? I'm not sure, but I believe its cause will be primarily political and not economic or the result of a natural disaster. I hope I'm wrong.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Ken - one of the things you will learn about Stony is that he does alot of "drive by postings". He rarely responds to questions and as he once said (paraphrasing) I come and go as I please, so deal with it. I think that most on here just laugh - after all we need a good chuckle every now and then.
    I gotcha', Crash, and I agree. Thanks.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

It Can't Happen Here is available on Gutenburg for free.

http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks03/0301001h.html
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

thanks Rick.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Good Lord !!! I would personally buy a ticket for any anti-gun "person" who renounces their American citizenship and moves to England. If you want a place where it's illegal to carry, own or otherwise have not only a firearm but a knife(on a need to have basis). If you want to go where the "government" controls your pathetic life I am sure you would be welcome in several countries. I still think IGNORANCE IS NO EXCUSE FOR STUPIDITY. My opinion only.

Blog Entries

Woodwose, you have an absolute right to express your opinion. That's the purpose of this forum (I hope). While I may disagree with you, I may still learn from you. Please keep posting.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Everyone has a right to express their opinion even when it is wrong. For those of you who want to prohibit gun ownership you are wrong, but you may express all you want. Fortunately I have a glorious constitution that was written to ensure that Torys would not be able to take my fundamental rights away.

Guaranteeing personal liberties is what has made this country so great from its foundation. Those people who are scared of firearms want to use their fear as a justification to ban that which they don't understand. They want to believe that a world without guns will result in less violence, but they have merely decided to ignore the fundamental problem which is the nature of men, and not the the nature of guns. People are violent, and they do not need guns to be violent.

I am sure someone will try to rebutt me with some "special case" where an idiot kid shot himself with his parents gun, or some dude was shot by a robber with his own gun, but your arguments fall on deaf ears. Everyone who owns a gun also has a personal responsibility to know how to operate, store, and safely manage it. Cases of irresponsibility do not supercede the Constitution, but rather are protected and thank goodness for that.

I am glad our founding fathers had the foresight to write out explicitly rights that should be guaranteed to each and every one of us. They knew that the circle would repeat itself and the U.S. would eventually move towards where Britain was at that time. They were wise enough to understand that all governments will go that way, so they should put some protections within it.

In conclusion, I have the right to carry my guns, even if you don't like it you are wrong.

Blog Entries

Cool

Hello Grundle!

I gotta' disagree with you here. Opinions (except for judicial decisions which are also called "opinions") cannot be right or wrong. An opinion is merely an expression of one's own personal feelings or beliefs, not an assertion that the feeling or belief is either accurate or factual. If I were to say that "pizza sucks," I would only be expressing my own feelings about pizza (which, in fact, I actually love and consider to be a food group unto itself). I would not expect everyone to agree with me.

Opinions are often compared to arseholes - everyone has one and they all stink - except for mine, of course .

On the other hand, factual assertions may be right or wrong. Even generally accepted "facts" are often quite wrong. Does everyone now agree that the Earth is not flat? Probably not, but you get my point.

The problem comes when opinions are stated as or understood to be expressions of fact.

Quality debate, based upon actual facts, may cause some folks to change their opinions on some issues. That's why we're here - most of us, anyway (my opinion). Other issues are just to personal to change almost anyone's opinion on. And remember - some people just don't like pizza.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

I have to agree with Ken on this one, grundle. I believe in the 2nd Amendment and most of what the NRA supports (not all by a long shot, sorry). I also believe others have a right to express their opinions and those opinions are not wrong because they differ from what I believe in. They are just different.

I'll use the Brady Bill as an example. I don't agree with it but I can certainly understand why Sarah Brady championed it. It makes perfect sense. Based on her experience (as terrible as it was) and how her and her husband's life changed as a result of that tragedy she couldn't be more right. I just don't happen to believe as she does. We are both right for our own reasons but neither is wrong. I hope that makes sense.

The thing about that is, is when people express their opinion generally they take it as their opinion is the only one that matters. Therefore they relegate it automatically to the realm of "fact" even though this is not true. This is why we have to be so explicit when writing laws, legislation, and even contracts; because everyone has their own opinion on how it should be done.

Strangely enough, this brings up an entirely different issue -- How does a Congressman/Senator enact the "will of the people" operating on his own personal opinions? Most of them don't, and in fact I could continue, but I don't want to get too far into politics

So then, we can have an intelligent discussion based on our opinions backed up by empirical evidence. When I say your opinion is "wrong", I am saying that in the context of me having the 2nd Amendment backing up the things that I say. I have a binding and powerful document that I bring to the table to back up my "opinion".

I also agree with you that people have the right to express their opinions. In my world, however, there is right and wrong but never two rights. Our society has tried to placate both sides of the argument, has blurred the lines between right and wrong but I will not do that. I know it may be hard to believe, but it is possible to have a wrong opinion. Most people don't want to hear that but it is true.

Now let me tie this back to our original discussion. If your opinion is that guns are bad, that is fine and you can rightly hold that opinion. I don't think it is wrong and I am fine if you choose not to own guns, or take part in any gun-like activities. If your opinion is that guns are bad and that my guns should be taken away your opinion is wrong. At that point I point to the document that I mentioned previously and tell you that others agreed with my opinion so strongly that they made laws to protect it.

Blog Entries

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by grundle View Post
    The thing about that is, is when people express their opinion generally they take it as their opinion is the only one that matters. Therefore they relegate it automatically to the realm of "fact" even though this is not true. This is why we have to be so explicit when writing laws, legislation, and even contracts; because everyone has their own opinion on how it should be done.

Strangely enough, this brings up an entirely different issue -- How does a Congressman/Senator enact the "will of the people" operating on his own personal opinions?
    I am in 100% agreement with your first paragraph.

As to the second paragraph, I ask: How does the Massachusetts Legislature vote to rescind Constitutionally enacted voter referenda within days of its passage?
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Your question is a good one.

Basically what they have done is illegal, but they like to use terms like "we interpret the SPIRIT of the Constitution". So basically they are saying we are all stupid and only they know what those words means.

So in effect they have passed a law that is unconstitutional since it directly contradicts what the 2nd Amendment guarantees every citizen of this country. If I am understanding what you said corrrectly.

Another important thing about what you said is that the fact that they rescinded something passed BY THE PEOPLE is another illegal act. If I lived in Massachusetts I would be furious, because that is a blatant abuse of power to enact their own personal policies over the clear and loud voice of the people. They should be impeached for such an abuse of power. Our country is ideally once that is run by the people and for the people. The elected officials are only stewards, or managers of the people's will, but when they do things like that it then becomes their will which moves us toward oligarchy and not a republic.

Blog Entries

Cool

Sadly, far too many voters have short memories or simply don't pay attention to anything other a single issue, a campaign slogan, or a party affiliation.

Remember "doublespeek" from Orwell's 1984? Too many elected officials have mastered it.

Example: Health Insurance Reform. Massachusetts passed "health insurance reform" legislation last year. It's main provision? If you don't have health insurance, you either buy it or become subject to an annual fine. Low income employment and not enough money left for health insurance premiums after you pay the rent, buy the groceries, provide for the basic necessities, and PAY THE BILLS YOU ALREADY HAD before the law was passed? Well, maybe you should ignore your obligations, live in your car, forego paying rent, and buy that health insurance. You health should even improve, living in the fresh air and all, right? Just make sure that your car insurance is paid as well, or you'll be subject to additional criminal penalties.

Now, don't get badly hurt or very sick just because you have insurance. Your illness/injury will probably be excluded by your policy. Gotta' love those "denial of benefits" notices. If not excluded, the uninsured portion of your medical treatment will probably bankrupt you anyway. Now, that's health insurance reform! Our legislators should be proud.

The tallest buildings in Boston are "the Hancock" and "the Pru" (Prudential). Gee, I wonder why....
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Ken - After my experience with the big dig and Boston's taxi drivers nothing in that town surprises me. Our lab was located there and brother did I hate to visit it. My favorite place in all of Boston was the back floorboard of the taxi. I'm pretty sure that was the only place safe! (Just jokin'....sort of).

By the way, the whole campaign "platform" of Health Insurance for everybody is a joke. I volunteer at a clinic and by law they cannot turn anybody away even if they have no insurance. I interpret for the non-english speaking patients and they are all illegals.

I do not advocate being inhumane to people, but I cannot stand listening to people lie when they say that poor people cannot get health treatment. They are the ones that abuse the system, and its the middle class that has to pay the bill. "Poor" people have more programs to ensure they get treatment than anyone. A hospital cannot refuse a homeless person if they come for treatment. If you are high on drugs or drunk, the hospital is required to give you a place to stay until you "come down". These laws are so abused and makes health care a joke.

If you take away free health care from the degenerates and the illegals these problems are going to quickly correct themselves. That is a cold stance to take, but since when should we start rewarding people for doing what is wrong?

Blog Entries

Don't get me wrong. There are a lot of good things happening in Boston. Just not on Beacon Hill (The Statehouse) or in the parking garages or ... and .....

Well, forget that. But, there are a few nice places to visit in town. Honest.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Legal Seafood. MMMmmmmmmmmmmm.