Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Survival kits for your firearms

Default Survival kits for your firearms

Seeing the post about (gun survival kits) got me thinking in the other direction. I have "kits" for my firearms to keep them running, so I thought I'd share.
    I'm a gun guy, always have been. I was in the service, I've hunted and target shot since I was about 6 with dad and grandpa on the farm. I took the Glock armorers course (and passed). Now with my credentials in order... (BTW I am not touting myself as "an expert" only someone with some experience.
    I'm going to sort of list what we use and have parts for to keep us fed and for self defense. Being that we rely on firearms for the above, they better go bang when you pull that trigger! I'm not saying this is an end all be all list of firearms or calibers, everyone and every situation is different. These seem to work best for us and have been hands down reliable.
    Our semi-auto handguns for self defense:
    Glocks: complete spring kit, firing pin, extractor, some various small parts that are easy to lose. We also have a good supply of mags and mag springs. We always have loaded mags and the constant use and being loaded wear them out more frequently. I have never had one of my Glocks break. (15 years of using Glocks)

Hunting rifles:
    Mostly bolt action Ruger M77 and Remington 700: I have never had one fail to fire, or a part break. I still have all the springs, a spare firing pin and some extra screws for each. Scope screws and open sight parts are handy as well. Hard to hit something without proper sights.

Large semi-auto rifles:
    Some military hardware here, so there is a full parts kit to replace everything on the gun save the receiver. Again, plenty of mags and mag springs.
    My soon to be wife carries her Remington 7400 30.06 carbine for hunting and around the house protection. We have all the springs and a new trigger assembly (these have a few plastic parts on this gun which makes me more attentive for spares). Plus firing pin and extra mags.

Revolvers:
    The usual, all springs and spare firing pin and transfer bar. I have never had to replace anything on our revolvers which are all Ruger.

.22 semiautos:

Spring kit, firing pin and a couple of extractors. I have had to replace an extractor on one of our Ruger 10/22's. This gun has fired 10's of thousands of rounds, I've had it since I was 12! Not a bad record. Important note: .22's are dirty guns, keep them clean. After market mags can be hit or miss with regard to jamming on some semi-autos. Ammo selection plays a part in that too. Make sure you test fire different combinations so you know what works and what doesn't. Bolt .22's seem to be very reliable and I have never had a problem with ours. (Marlins)

Shotguns:
    I've had a lot of them over the years and I sold all of them off and kept the Remington 870's in 12 ga for several reasons. They work, and there is a million parts and accessories for these things. I do like single and double barrel break actions too. Tuff as nails. I have had a bad run in with several brands of semi-auto shotguns. Finicky with ammo, jamming etc. I may be the exception here I don't know. After miss fires and missed game I sold them all.
    As far as parts... same thing... springs, extractor and firing pin. I have several magazine tube springs as we keep one of these loaded more frequently.

Learn how to work on your guns yourself. There are plenty of training videos and knowledgeable people out there. It's not that hard. I'm not talking major gun smithing here, just parts replacement. Learn how they work and how to properly clean them. Get quality cleaning equipment. A dirty firearm is more prone to malfunction and breakage.
    Practice with it! If you can't hit what you are aiming at, it's worthless. Be safe and responsible! Finger off the trigger until you are ready to destroy or kill what is in front of you! Treat every gun as if it were loaded!
    Never involve drugs or alcohol and firearms!

For many of us these are tools we use for our survival. Keep them working and clean and who knows, your grandkids or great grandkids might be depending on them.

I would like to here anyones thoughts or input. Maybe you have some other gear or parts you like to keep on hand? How about our folks who use blackpowder firearms? I'm not that familiar (but I'm looking at getting started) with blackpowder. Chime on in!
    Regards,

Mountaintrekker
    BEAR CLAN
    "Evolution stops when stupidity is no longer fatal."

great post...thanks
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

i guess we do live indifferent worlds.
    i have several guns and for each plenty of ammo.
    for the more common more ammo than for the not-so-common.
    besides cleaning kits i do not need anything.

should the need arise for another fireamr, i just take it off someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Stony View Post

Yeah. That process will get you real far.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

thought guns should be banned?????????
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Quote Originally Posted by nell67 View Post
    thought guns should be banned?????????
    I'm begining to understand his thought process (scarey thought). If guns are banned, he can use his guns to take other's guns, but wait if they're banned there won't be any to take, but he'll still have his, but if nobody else has any they'll..........never mind - I still don't understand.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I think you live in your own little world, and that is one hell of a plan you have there good luck with that. It would not work to well in my world I assure you.
    Any goverment big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have...T Jefferson

I have lots of guns. Little guns, medium sized guns, big guns, really really big guns. Plenty of ammo, too. That's about all I need. If something happens and I need another gun I'll just get it off Stony.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by woodwose View Post
    The banning of guns (and to my knowledge, the only guns on the target list are handguns and assault rifles) stems from the fact that most of society now lives in cities where crime with guns has been rampant, people are tired of having to deal with that situation and some fear guns because of that, people find no need for guns in their own 'citified' lifestyle, hence "guns should be banned. To a person that lives outside the city, in the countryside (the further out, the more this applies) a gun is a necessity. That also applies to sport hunters, some survivalists and anybody that is a member of the NRA. Should guns be banned? Yes, I believe so in certain areas and circumstances. Should certain types of guns be banned. Yes. Assault rifles should be banned altogether. There is no practical need that I can see for having one unless you are going up against an enemy in a war situation. Handguns for personal protection I can agree with but not in all areas and those areas are refining to be outlined already by law and should include cities. Hunting rifles have their place too but I do not agree that they should be banned in the countryside. However, I would be surprised a little to see someone walking down the street in a city with a rifle unless I can see that he is transporting it to a gun shop or store. I am sure that happens more times than not but would imagine that for all practicality those situations are requiring the concealment of those weapons in a gun sheath or rifle case.
    So you are going to ban guns in the city, all you are doing is stoping the folks who obey the law from defending themselves, the bad guys don't care if the guns are banned, do you figure they are just going to turn thiers in? After guns were baned in Australia home invasions went up dramaticly as did assults. Yep guncontrol works. As for "assult" riflesonce you start baning one type of gun you have started down that slipprey slope, so why is it that becuse you do not like a certin weapon my right, and yes it is a right under the second amendment should be infringed upon? Just can't figure out what makes people like you think your opininion or personal dislikes should superced the constatution
    Any goverment big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have...T Jefferson

Guns make me happy...pistols, assault rifles, shotguns, rifles, pellet guns, blackpowder you name it. Pull one out and I'll smile and look at if for a long time, I like the feel, the smell, the sight....guns are just really awesome tools. They always make me happy.

People on the other hand scare the living day lights out of me. Knife waving maniacs, baseball bat toting thugs, drunk drivers, kids in cafeterias with guns...humans are dangerous. Guns are merely inanimate objects
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

The city is one of the reasons I upped my carry caliber to .45. Every single day there's a new murder reported. Often more than one. I'm glad that I live in a "shall issue" state. Back in the day I might have been able to scrap my way out of tight fit. Today, these goobers start slinging lead if you blink wrong and I'm way too old to be knuckle scraping with a bunch of youngsters.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Woodwose,
    I always point the un-educated with regard to gun control to the U.K. The crime there is out of control and they have a ban on all guns, most knives and swords and soon to follow, sticks and stones. It doesn't work, people will always find a way. I believe they have one of the highest security camera per capitas in London than anywhere on earth and they still have rampant crime.
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but criminals don't give a rat's *** if something is banned. Look at NY and Chicago. Are there still criminals raping robbing and murdering people with guns? Absolutely. The problem with banning is you start taking the right (see second amendment) away from the honest citizen. A slippery slope as we are starting to see.
    Start enforcing the plethora of gun laws in existence and hold people personally responsible for their actions. Don't start banning a tool because someone misused it. How about a vehicle? Deadly with someone behind the wheel bent on destruction, easily attainable, they are everywhere and people as young as 16 are allowed to get behind the wheel! BAN THEM! Nonsense.
    Your argument I'm sorry to say doesn't hold water and is (while your opinion) being continually shown, (with many states and countries who have imposed this), that it simply doesn't work.
    Regards,

Mountaintrekker
    BEAR CLAN
    "Evolution stops when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Blog Entries

"An armed society is a polite society"
    "Don't get yourself killed for lack of being able to shoot back"
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

Blog Entries

One of the first things Hitler did when he took control of Germany was confiscate all firearms.

Blog Entries

"If you want to control someone, take away their ability to resist"

I am really sorry that you feel angry (if I am reading that right) about me expressing my opinion. I am not infringing on your right to express your opinion nor your right to bear arms. I am only expressing my opinion. I have a right to do that.
    Indeed you do I wish you would explain the logic to it. And if you had your way you would infringe on my right to bear arms [if I am reading right]

Blog Entries

While I was living in Washington State I paid my $60 and got my CCW permit and started carrying my Glock 23 everywhere/all the time. Two months after I started carrying I pulled into a Subway shop at about 10pm to get something to eat. As I got out of my truck a scumbag approached me, pulled out a knife and demanded money. I reached as if to get my wallet and drew my Glock. I demanded he drop his knife and get on his knee's which he did with a look of shock in his eyes. I held him there at gun point until the police arrived. I was happy to say the least that I was legally armed .

This isn't about rights. It is about preventing death by gun. I am not talking about banning all guns, just certain types from certain areas and situations and I will ammend to say certain types of people (i.e. criminals). You talk about your rights to bear arms. All that has to happen is that congress changes the law and suddenly all you legal gun owners are now illegal and if congress changes the law (I am not saying that they will) there isn't much anybody can do about it except complain and protest. Doing that hasn't made much difference in this society as far back as I can remember.

That is one school of thought. Here's another.

Make it illegal for criminals to own guns. I think that is the law now. just enforce it, I agree. All the anti-gun lobbyists and protesters etc. have it all wrong.. round up all the criminals and enforce the law. All the legal gun owners should keep their guns in a triple door gun safe to prevent theft.

I still have my reasons for wanting a gun ban. I hope this clarifies my opinion which is complicated to begin with.
    The second part makes a little more sense and I agree with rounding up the bad guys, when you start to selectivly ban guns where dose it end, 20 rounds 15?Pistols are allowed in this town but not this city. Tyrants do like an unarmed population do they not? Gun control as a crime deterent has failed in every country that has tryed it, it has worked when ever some despot wanted to control his population there is only one reason to disarm a population. As for keeping all my guns in a locked safe, what are you smokeing? I will just ask the crack head comeing through the window if he would mind waiting while I unlock my gun. You may have a personal reason for wanting guns banned but it has clouded your judgement for the real world, or you must live in the land of Oz.

An yes it is about rights, as in the right to keep and bear arms, little thing called the constitution, give it a read.

Woodwose - I support your right to believe any way you want. And you don't have to justify it to me. I choose to believe a little different and have been a life member of the NRA for a very long time. That's part of what makes this country great, I guess. We can believe in different things and still accept each other.

KLKAK - I do love a story with a happy ending.

Everybody's beliefs are formulated through their experiences so I try not to judge others based on their opinions. I am a strong advocate of the Second Amendment and have been a member of th NRA for many years. I go to quite a few gun shows (mostly to look around) sinces we have about 8 a year here in town. I sometimes look at some of the people at these shows and think "man, looks like a gang banger - nothing good is going to happen with him and a gun" (I try not to judge others, but in reality I do it every day - one of the things that helps me stay aware of my surroundings)

When assault weapons are discussed, it is often the "look" of a weapon. My SW M&P 15 with tactical light, holo sight, scope and laser looks like what many would call an assault rifle. My Ruger mini 30 (7.62x39) looks tame by comparrison. I have 30 round mags for the Ruger as well as the 5 round mags that came with it. Both shoot as fast as I can pull the trigger. What's the difference? The look.

In most areas where concealed carry has been introduced after a period of time where it was not, crime has gone down - quite significantly. Those that carry for personal protection want to protect themselves from predators. Predators can come with four legs or two, and are in every environment regardless of whether it is an urban or rural setting.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel