Thread: Ed's red

Default Ed's red

I think we all have heard of Ed's red, a solvent made popular by Ce Harris. anyhoo I've been on a Horace Kephart kick lately. I purchased his book called sporting firearms. In this book with a 1902 copyright, there is a recipe very close to ed's red. I find that interesting, nothing really new out there. I made up some ed's red awhile back. Had some free acetone and everything else was in the barn so I thought what the heck. Haven't really used it much though.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

I find a lot of the old recipes interesting....

But unless I gonna actually use a lot of the end product, what ever it is...or like you say....have the ingredients handy...or free... chances are I don't need a gallon or a quart...I won't mess with it.

It is good to know "how" if necessary, how ever......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Didn't realize Kephart had a close to version of Ed's Red, but I make a couple gallons of the stuff a year, one gallon at a time. I really like it, and use it alot. I put it in a couple different containers to use, one is basically squirt bottle kind of like the old oil cans, the other is in a can that you pressurize with the air compressor after you put the Ed's Red in it and spray it. Works great as a penatrent, lubricant and preservative! I'll have to do some more reading to find Kephart version.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Ok, for all those born after 1970 here is the Ed's Red recipe.

1qt Dextron II or III automatic transmission fluid
    1qt K1 kerosene
    1qt mineral spirits
    1qt acetone

You wind up with a gallon so save up some dish-washing detergent bottles so you can give some away.

If you happen to own a measuring cup you can cut down the amount.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 09-15-2016 at 12:07 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?