Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flooding at "The Place"

Default Flooding at "The Place"

Started raining last evening.......and we had thunder storms all night......
    Rained 5.1 inches form 7:00 PM and 8:00 AM.

As Wednesday is "Dump day" which we also use as "laundry day" DW goes to Laundromat at the truck stop, I go to flea market, for an hour on Senior Day)........then lunch...then Farmers Market....then nap.

Headed down our road...noticing river outside the banks in a few places......
    Neighbor's cow pasture...
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Next to our bridge to get to the sorta major highway......

Headed into town....city park is just about all under water....old dam house and dam.....can't see the dam high water.

The farmers market is supposed to be next to the dam in that park...cancelled.

Did our business and headed back...put things away ...so decided to check our field....has flooded many times in the past....

River is just even with the corner of the field...

.....and running in the soy beans....across my trail...

Bank is higher then the field...water runs in,...... so can't run out....so stays for a whileGuests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

So we will see if the beans are lost.....
    Last edited by hunter63; 08-24-2016 at 09:21 PM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

5 inches in 13, whew.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Crickey that's a lotta water! Any danger of bridge/road flooding you out?
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    Crickey that's a lotta water! Any danger of bridge/road flooding you out?
    No...but it can be a long way around......like back in 2007-2008.

We have to watch out for mud slides ..BIG mud slides......and washed out roads.....
    2008 we were in a convoy behind county equipment, clearing a rout thru sever country roads to get out of the flooded area.

Our small town is on the list for possible major flooding again..........
    Most of the town has been moved to higher ground.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Oh stay safe and keep us posted.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Keep your rubber boots close at all times and stay safe!
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com

Wow! I hope the damages don't reach you! Have your rubber ducky on stand-by...... just in case!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Stay safe. Looks like we might finally get some rain next week. It's been hotter than normal and the afternoon storms have been hit or miss..............mostly miss.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

did you get milk and bread when in town?
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

We had a pop up thunderstorm this morning about 2 am. Rained for about an hour. 2.5 inches. The front moving through the Midwest is carrying a LOT of moisture.

Senior Member Pennsylvania Mike's Avatar

Stay safe, hope you don't have much damage, keep us posted.

No more rain since the big one.......
    Water was still coming up in the river as of yesterday evening....haven't checked yet this morning.....
    Rivers creast a day or so AFTER the storms as the whole area gets drained.

Flood of 2008 the area didn't get near as much rain as they did up stream.....so a lot of the water came down stream.
    This was my lower field a couple of years ago....it gets flooded usually every year.

Town to the south Gays Mills hit bad in 2007 local rain and flash flooding ..... is actually being moved to higher ground.....many main street building gone....or raised up (FEMA)
    Town to the north Soldiers Groove had been moved back in the 1970's so the big flood in 2008 ..much of the water came down stream....washed out the city park...town is already up on high ground.

Yeah we got out fine...to the town dump, (high ground)...then to the truck stop laundromat,...high ground but close to a bridge that is being worked on so is closed.......means our route east out of here (city) is more limited.

Store for "bread and milk" as well a "brewskies and pretzels" (can't have a SHTF with out supplies) was moved up to high ground in 2008.

Town was only flooded by the dam and park yesterday...so farmers market was cancelled.
    County Fair open today....so we will see....on kinda high grund...but parking may be "muddy".

Yeah ...Have boots, ponchos, shelter, water and gear in trucks so we are ready.

This property ....about to only damage normally is to the crop in bottom field.....and the neighbor take the loss....I still can use my crop land as "agriculture property" for taxes.
    Last edited by hunter63; 08-25-2016 at 11:28 AM.

Rained all night here and up north of here.....
    We got 3.68 inches.....

So everything is backed flooded.....even had water rushing down the ravine.....and that doesn't happen often.
    Ground is saturated, so didn't take long to fill everything back up again.

I'm glad to hear it was manageable Hunter and you are all well. When the pickup truck starts floating away, then you really have a problem. Some of the weather and storms, especially in the South, this summer have been absurd. Even for us this June, we had an abnormally long downpour that lasted an hour and a half. I have no idea how much rain we received, but in 16 years, our lake was never higher. Our dock was almost under water. Bizarre weather. Things are still cool and cloudy, but no frost yet. Too much cloud cover. I hope things dry out and return to normal shortly for you!
    Off Grid and Free-My Path to the Wilderness Available on Amazon www.inthewilderness.net

Water had gone down to normal......Pic from bridge on road to "The Place".........

Back a couple of weeks ago was

Water back up again to a higher level....

This was running water in the ravine ....tried to get down a take a pic.....after lunch about an hour...water had already quit running......LOL

Last edited by hunter63; 09-07-2016 at 03:34 PM.

Keep it up nort doncha know.

We are a little up "nort" from Hunter and got 4.22" in 24 hours but mostly all at certain times. I had to pull off I-94 under an overpass just past Madison WI on the way home - I never do this as it is so unsafe but could not see a foot in front of me even with wipers at full speed. I was happy others pulled off behind me in case someone piled into us. It was mid-day, plenty of light but could not see out of our Chevy Traverse. Semis pulled over too.

Gotta say, we have had over 12"-15" in less than 30 days according to the National Weather Service and my friend who measures meticulously. That is an absurd (but I am thrilled with it!) amount for August.
    But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. Joshua 24:15

Water was still up today when we left around 9:00 am......bottoms are all flooded and several small bridges have water running "over" them....enter at your own risk.

No rain today....but we will see?

Major rains last night - .7" and then today just pouring in spurts. I am awaiting my friend's update on amounts but I am guessing .5" or more just this afternoon. Very odd weather.

We use our pond "step stones" as a gauge for how deep the pond is and how much rain we get as it was man-made by the county and has no lining other than clay. Right now, in the last 15 days, the water in a 1.75 acre pond has come up almost a foot. No kidding. Water is almost over the bottom most step. When we were at an all time high this June, the steps were 3.5' under water (the top most!!!) But that broke a record based on historical photos and local info. Average for this time of year Hunter is that the bottom stone is about 6"-12" above the water as it naturally recedes before winter.
    So we are high.
    But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. Joshua 24:15

We returned to Kenosha Thur......to cut grass and attend a Ducks Unlimited Fall Event, today.......
    and did sprinkle here was all.

Not sure what the Crawford County area got...as the water was still coming up from up stream.
    Watershed for the Kickapoo River:

Quote>
    The river begins midway between Wilton, Wisconsin and Mill Bluff State Park and flows south through a deep valley cut into the hilly Driftless Zone of southwest Wisconsin. It empties into the Wisconsin River just south of Wauzeka, Wisconsin. Kickapoo is an Algonquian word meaning “one who goes here, then there”, a fitting name as the river is very crooked, frequently doubling back on itself as it flows through the Wisconsin landscape. Because of the extremely crooked path of the river, its source north of Wilton is just 60 miles (97 km) from its mouth at Wauzeka, although the river is nearly 130 miles (210 km) long. The Kickapoo, the longest tributary of the Wisconsin River, drains over 800 square miles (2,100 km2) of land in Monroe, Vernon, Richland, and Crawford counties. The Kickapoo River watershed encompasses 492,000 acres (1,990 km2) in southwest Wisconsin.....<Quote

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kickapoo_River
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mill_Bluff_State_Park

So it starts just south of Solar Geek's area.

Talked with a farmer friend up river a mile of so...
    A lot of his bean fields are mostly in a river bottom....and are flooded as well as mine....water going still leaves the ground soaked and soft....of in some cases, just knocked down by running water.

So we will see how much damage is still to come.

A clay lined pond is interesting ....didn't know they did that up here...is common in Louisiana, at least at DD place.
    But I know your area has a lot of sand.....ours seems like sand...but get slicker the loon poop when wet....so a lot of clay silt.
    Last edited by hunter63; 09-10-2016 at 08:36 PM.