Thread: Farm From a Box

Default Farm From a Box

Found this.......
    Farm in a Box....seems like a lot of promotion....Big ideas....AND they want you to invest.
    Didn't get into it too far .....maybe looks interesting?

https://republic.co/farm-from-a-box?...m_campaign=dp2
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Kind of cool looking, but I think I'd have to pass. I don't really need my tool shed to be wifi enabled. It looks like a conex box with solar panels. Their claim of the box supports a two acre farm that will feed 150 people. I have serious doubts about a claim like that.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I noticed that too!

Wifi enabled for off grid use???

What brand rototiller is included? That is the real key to small farm, intensive cultivation success, along with reinforced knees in your britches.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Well.... they said bottled water would never sell......
    Didn't sign up to "Invest"....but kinda make me wonder what the business plan is....?

Either way...this makes me think of the freight farms thing I've talked about...and how we gotta evolve our agriculture - This makes me think that those evolutionary stages are being developed versus the idea being neglected. And I like that.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Kind of cool looking, but I think I'd have to pass. I don't really need my tool shed to be wifi enabled. It looks like a conex box with solar panels. Their claim of the box supports a two acre farm that will feed 150 people. I have serious doubts about a claim like that.
    Feed 150 half a potato each one time only.
    Kevin Koeven
    Staying Alive Comedy

Twitter: @stayingalivetv
    Instagram: @stayingalivetv
    facebook: Staying Alive Comedy

youtube.com/stayingalivecomedy

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

150 people eating off 2 acres is bogus. 150 people might take home a couple of meals each off 2 acres but that is about it.

All the figures I can come up with from the USDA are from a Cornell study done back in 1980. That is close enough to still be current. They were doing a calories per acre per crop/calories needed to sustain life graph with the added input of a balanced diet which many studies do not include. The Chinese do not live on just rice and even a southerner can not live on grits alone!

Their claim is that it takes one acre per person including meat production. Just vegetable production is .20 acres of intense cultivation on well fertilized soil per person.

However this only works properly on a large scale with industrial production of staple crops (corn, wheat, rice, potatoes), intense cultivation of truck crops (greens and veggies) and animals raised separately on range land.

Their study was unusual in that they discovered that calorie output went up when you added meat production to the formula due to calorie density of meat.

There is also the misunderstood concept that meat production is a waste of land. Often food animals are raised on land that is not arable, is too rough to cultivate and/or can grow nothing but scrub grass.

The real economics of the matter would be that if you had 2 acres you could produce more calories raising chickens or rabbits than growing veggies, then you could trade the surplus calories for cheaper industrially raised vegetables.

Tomatoes go for $3 per pound in my area. Canned vegetables run about $1 per pound. Pork is cheap at $2 per pound and Rabbit sells for $7 per pound. A 3 pound chicken is $5-$6.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

This is a Group Funding exercise .....so we will see......

Watching this..... makes me wonder, the group was done making the ad for it....did they all go out for stakes, salad and a nice red?

Yes...so how are they really going to support folks living on Mars? Uh-huh. Yea. Right. A little super duper greenhouse. Sure, it'll work. But you better get it right.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward