Thread: SG canteen and cup

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Default SG canteen and cup

I just received delivery from SG for a surplus water bottle and nesting aluminum cup with folding handles.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...teens?a=692697

Swiss military it says.

The water bottle is good thick polyurethane, about the same thickness and quality of a GI canteen. It holds 3 cups exactly, which I found unusual since that is only 3/4 liter. Some kind of yucky brown stuff inside so they will be boiled and treated with chlorine before use.

The cup holds exactly that, one cup/ 1/4liter, and the handles fold flat to its sides when not in use.

There is no cover or method of belt hook up so it is destined to be carried in a rucksack or bag of some kind.

Note that the price is 4 units for $18, which makes $4.50 each a good buy if you are outfitting a family or group with light packs and minimal gear of excellent quality.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Those are pretty good. The Swiss had no cover for the canteen. It was carried in their brotsack or some such thing. That brown stuff might be chocolate. Have anyone you don't like that could taste it?

I already filled them with boiling water and shook that out, then refilled them and put a splash of bleach in each.

When they dry they will go into the big box in the storage room next to the case of Moras, in case I ever have visitors that need such things.

Except for one, which will get a through workout in the next few weeks.

The worst of the hot weather is almost over and I will be getting back to the woods before long.

Looks like a good deal.........must.......resist.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

"resistance is futile, you will be assimilated"

LOL......I have several things in my "cart" waiting on the "free shipping" number to be arrived at....

I like the GI versions as they have the cup and stove/stand...with the cover....so I will resist as well.....Maybe....LOL
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Me and SG have these battles.

I put stuff in the cart waiting until I get to the $50 free shipping number and they try to hold out on the free shipping at just the time I am about to get my $50 number.

Then they put the free shipping back in place but empty my cart and I have to go through and reorder everything!

They are missing out on a lot of my ammo business because they do not have free shipping on ammo. I can get it at the LGS cheaper than paying cost plus freight.

I ordered on of these....wanting the fry pan and plate for the BOB re-do......Maybe.....??
    Haven't got it yet.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371681351579...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

And one of these....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-Out...id%3D100275%26

Won't till I get back....We came out to "The Place"... today....Hoping to stay for a couple of weeks....and get caught up on grass and downed trees.
    Last edited by hunter63; 08-20-2016 at 01:27 AM.

Have several of these, I like the fact they fit in the space made for a nalgene bottle.

Did you know a G.I. canteen and cup will fit in most Nalgene pockets on packs? I carry mine just fine; one on each side.

You all are sick and twisted...I mean really ...how much gear....how many knives does one person need? quit...please ....okay so yes I did place two orders based on this thread but I am so proud that I have not ordered a new gas mask bag or a ruck from Finland or Ireland or any tents in the last two months.. I am retired..and I am supposed to be on a STRICT budget. None of this helps.....sick..just plain sick and twisted. My oldest granddaughter was prowling through my new stuff/stash shelf and came into the kitchen, in front of everyone and said "Pops, How many of these Mora knives did you buy?" and of course she had brought the box of "Wahoo" knives in with her. It took me an hour to convince several folks that a good deal is NOT the same thing as hoarding.... I blame you..yes...yes I blame all of you...before I found this forum I bet I did not have over 40 or so "belt" knives and probably not many more folders than that, and I bet before I started hanging out here I only had like 6 or 7 different frame packs and maybe a few internal ruck sacks....Now...no...no I do not have a problem I am just trying to "Be Prepared"

I just tell everyone that I use the Wahoo knives for tent stakes....they are SS .....
    https://www.cheaperthandirt.net/prod...fU0aAiVa8P8HAQ

PS don't get me started on weed whackers........Sheeesh
    Last edited by hunter63; 08-24-2016 at 01:29 AM.

A weed wacker that fits in the nalgene pocket of your pack? Clear a camp site, widen the trail as you hike? Yeah, makes perfect sense.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Quote Originally Posted by pete lynch View Post
    A weed wacker that fits in the nalgene pocket of your pack? Clear a camp site, widen the trail as you hike? Yeah, makes perfect sense.
    The weed wacker was a godsend for some of our canoe camping trips. Machetes would have taken much, much, longer and been a lot tougher on our backs.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Well, duh. Take pygmies.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    The weed wacker was a godsend for some of our canoe camping trips. Machetes would have taken much, much, longer and been a lot tougher on our backs.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Weed whackers have a clearing area in direct proportion to the amount of labor required to get tired.....

So like most of out gear... you start out with a your machete.(small pack , knife, pistol)..PITA....and clear 20 ft....
    THEN
    Move up to the pictured version...can clear 100 ft. circle.......(bigger pack, knife pistol etc)....still a PITA but have covered more ground.

Now move up to the gas powered whacker...can clear couple of acres.... around all your stuff, camp, trails etc.....(EXPENSIVE .Biggest pack, best knife, latest wiz bang pistol)....
    BUT now getting to the point when you have to have a "PLACE" to store and transport this stuff......

So now you move up to a tractor for the "Place".....can mow all day 3-5 acres........(To carry and store your stuff (packs, knives pistols) in a RV, boat, 4 wheeler(2), camper, place on a lake.....

One day you get old so you hire "The Kid" to do the weed whacking......(and the RV, boat, camper, etc. at shop to be fixed .....or buy placements because they quit running and nothing to carry your STUFF)...

But you still want to clear a spot so you buy another machete.......and small pack because you can't carry the biggest pack any......
    AND another 12 Wahoo Zombie Killer knives .....so you can spread them out everywhere....
    Because.... you don't remember, where they all are!

Had to buy another "Easy start" Weed whacker as the fuel line melted on the 5 year old "Easy start"... so The Kid could borrow it to finish the weed whacking ....

So folks.....it is a slippery slope.....One day machete, ....then brush hog..........Avoiding selling everything, move to assisted living, and hang out at the morning MickyD's coffee club.

OH.... looky here,...New catalogs for SG, CH Kadels, Midway, Harbor Freight....just arrived....need to take my mind off stuff and get back to important stuff.....

Quote Originally Posted by DSJohnson View Post
    You all are sick and twisted...I mean really ...how much gear....how many knives does one person need? quit...please ....okay so yes I did place two orders based on this thread but I am so proud that I have not ordered a new gas mask bag or a ruck from Finland or Ireland or any tents in the last two months.. I am retired..and I am supposed to be on a STRICT budget. None of this helps.....sick..just plain sick and twisted. My oldest granddaughter was prowling through my new stuff/stash shelf and came into the kitchen, in front of everyone and said "Pops, How many of these Mora knives did you buy?" and of course she had brought the box of "Wahoo" knives in with her. It took me an hour to convince several folks that a good deal is NOT the same thing as hoarding.... I blame you..yes...yes I blame all of you...before I found this forum I bet I did not have over 40 or so "belt" knives and probably not many more folders than that, and I bet before I started hanging out here I only had like 6 or 7 different frame packs and maybe a few internal ruck sacks....Now...no...no I do not have a problem I am just trying to "Be Prepared"
    DS, you really need a better plan, or a bigger storage shed.

And never keep all the Wahoo killers in one spot!

If you spread them around everyone will think it is the same knife you are leaving scattered about.

Extremely good advice. I will absolutely do better in the future

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deploy all assets.....knives, trailers, boats, guns, packs, .....not only will no one know how many you have.....we don't have to remember where we left the other 3....till you go to put the new whatever, away...and there they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Did you know a G.I. canteen and cup will fit in most Nalgene pockets on packs? I carry mine just fine; one on each side.
    True some, My EDC bag a Maxpedition pygmy falcon does not, so SG canteen bottles with cups get the nod.