Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oetzi The Iceman clothes and gear .........

Default Oetzi The Iceman clothes and gear .........

......Had both wild and domestic animal DNA......

So even 5200 years ago, one didn't always live off wild game alone.....As in "ROTTW"......

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-envi...&ICID=ref_fark
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

They are not taking into consideration that the species mentioned as "domestic" might have been the wild ancestors of modern domestics and would have been hunted as wild animals during that era but would show up as just another cow, sheep or goat in the testing.

We still have wild goats and sheep available today, though wild cattle are a scarce commodity if you do not count the longhorn cattle of the southwest brush country that can get wild and aggressive if left to their own devices.

I suspect that sheep and goats were among the earliest of domestics since there is evidence of their presence in the earliest of settlements in the mid-east dating back to nearly 10,000 BC.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Oh, there's plenty of wild cattle around. I seem to recall this bar in downtown Bremerton, WA............Bremeloes is what I believe they were called.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Beer googles.....
    Seems the point is....thing haven't changed much....some town-ees?...as well as the hunters .....or at least came together in groups... kept animals, as well as hunted..... at least "gathered" enough hide to make clothing and gear.

I don't know why, but found this interesting....
    Also advanced enough to make use of copper for tools and weapons....

the species mentioned as "domestic" might have been the wild ancestors of modern domestics and would have been hunted as wild animals during that era
    I was thinking the same thing when I read that. They should be careful with their epistemology.

And I think that their wording here is questionable...rather, the wording reveals a wrong thinking -
    But Oetzi's motley wardrobe, including a coat made from at least four separate goat and sheep hides, could also suggest a more haphazard and desperate approach - stitching together whatever scraps of skin were available.
    "But..."? A more haphazard and desperate approach? Whatever were available? "But" in contrast to what? Haphazard and desperate...as opposed to what? Living like that, being resourceful and creative as always, is haphazard and desperate? "But" it is haphazard and desperate? I guess Mr. Caveman was supposed to turn his nose up at a hide from the wrong animal, so that he can make everything match and be color-coordinated. Fashion was important then, and you wouldn't want to appear 'butch' or metrosexual. Need to go out of our way to find specific animals for our hides 'round here.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTree View Post
    I was thinking the same thing when I read that. They should be careful with their epistemology.

And I think that their wording here is questionable...rather, the wording reveals a wrong thinking -

"But..."? A more haphazard and desperate approach? Whatever were available? "But" in contrast to what? Haphazard and desperate...as opposed to what? Living like that, being resourceful and creative as always, is haphazard and desperate? "But" it is haphazard and desperate? I guess Mr. Caveman was supposed to turn his nose up at a hide from the wrong animal, so that he can make everything match and be color-coordinated. Fashion was important then, and you wouldn't want to appear 'butch' or metrosexual. Need to go out of our way to find specific animals for our hides 'round here.
    Maybe he was a "Homeless caveman"...or an "Outlaw"...or maybe just a "Caveman's caveman"......LOL

No matter how they wrote it....I sure many writers today have a problem expressing them selves with out using emoji's...?

I remember when he was first found! Initially there was speculation that he was a modern murder victim but scientists quickly discovered he had died around the time the pyramids were being started. Fascinating case to be sure!

It's really very hard to today to find any writer of mass consumed media stories that doesn't interject their feelings and biases into their writing.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

You can bet I'd never do that (support NRA). Those guys (black guns are cool) really don't deserve to (every state should be open carry) be called writers.

Archaeologists, especially European ones, have great difficulty in interpreting outdoor gear when it is of primitive nature. They are normally no required to go outside.

They can not fully relate to the gear used for hunting with a bow because they have no reference point. Bow hunting is illegal in most of Europe.

Lack of a point of reference is a problem most academics have in any given field. Ever seen a college educated engineer try to climb a step ladder and change a light bulb?

I still remember when Oetzi was discovered. I was in history graduate school and we were discussing it in a seminar.

The professor was all; why was he there and why was he shot and why did they not take his axe since it was so valuable and why was his bow unfinished and why did he have no arrows?????

I remember looking at him and asking, "You have never been chased by a jealous husband have you?"
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 08-19-2016 at 09:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    You can bet I'd never do that (support NRA). Those guys (black guns are cool) really don't deserve to (every state should be open carry) be called writers.
    I see what you did there.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I've always enjoyed the Oetzi stories and speculations.

We will never know his true story but I have a few ideas
    - He was a thief who was chased into the mountains and died from his wounds
    - He was in battle and happened to escape capture but ended up dying from his wounds
    - He was out hunting when he was attacked by an enemy who could not capture him
    - He was hunting with buddies when some sort of accident happened causing the arrow to go into his shoulder (bad shot, tripping down a hill, etc...) and his buddies went for help but could not find him due to the incoming storm

I would love to see a tv series put together where they go through a different scenario as to what COULD have been his life story

I'm going with the irate husband theory....and you don't dare take the ax, as you can't really go down to the copper ax store and "buy" one just like it.

Heck in small towns of families that have lived there for ever, you will hear....
    "Say isn't that Papaw Jones's old .303 British,... I remember when he traded a cow for that?"....
    "How did you get it?"

Having that ax would point to you as a bad guy.

Man, that is no ship. I remember that growing up very well. Dad would drive through at night and hit the air horns when he passed the DQ. Every kid in six counties knew that was my dad and at least 4 of them would let me know he just went through town. It was like a ritual.

Yep, you have one of the only 100 or so copper axes in Europe and everyone knows who it belongs too!

Stealing that would be like stealing the SWAT team van and trying to disguise it with Walmart spray paint!

My hypothesis has always been that he was wounded in a skirmish and escaped, only to die of his wounds later. Maybe he killed his foe/foes but they weren't so "fortunate" as to be preserved like Otzi was.

Or....it was a tattoo job gone horribly wrong. What? It's possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Or....it was a tattoo job gone horribly wrong. What? It's possible.
    That is possible.....he had like 61 Tats.....and no antibiotics.....?

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/d-.../#.V7m6YdFTEcA

But you knew that right?.....

They say from the location of the arrow wound he would have bled out in minutes. Doubtful he escaped from anything. Likely fell where he was hit.
    http://www.iceman.it/en/how-oetzi-died

The arrow shaft itself would have been removed to avoid identification.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Yes the arrow clipped an artery and he was dead in minutes according to the pathology.

The absence of the arrow, entering under the shoulder blade where he could not have removed it himself due to the position, was the reason I came up with the jealous husband theory.

Someone had to remove the arrow, but not take any of his other gear, including that most precious copper axe.

They wanted him dead, but they were not after his stuff.

Only three murder motives; sex, money, revenge.

Since they did not take his stuff it had to be one of the other two motives.

If it was a revenge killing due to a feud or insult they would have still taken trophies to prove their power.

Oetzi was a very private killing with no loot or trophies taken to show power or status. It was as if the killer did not want anyone to know it had happened. Payback for stealing a wife, or girlfriends affection they wanted no one to know happened. Especially true if Oetzi had been a well liked visitor in the village he was escaping from. Possibly too well liked by some?

Possibly more than one man wanted him dead! After all, Oetzi was getting out of Dodge in a hurry with half finished gear and not enough arrows, risking a trip through one of the most dangerous passes in the world during a snow storm. He was running from someone that was very mad or very powerful.

It is also possible that Oetzi was not the best shot in the world. Why else would his quiver hold only a couple of finished arrows. No one sits around town with an empty quiver, any hunter or warrior replaces lost arrows as quickly as possible, so surely Oetzi started his flight with a full quiver and used them up in a running fight. He then cut fresh arrow shafts to work on as he traveled.

So Oetzi was a craftsman of copper according to the arsenic in his blood stream, and possibly a Shepard according to the forensic analysis of his bones and organs, and lived in an agricultural based society centered on village life according to the contents of his stomach and the archaeological history of his area. He was an Austrian visiting Italy according to the isotopes in his bone structure.

A mysterious visitor from out of town with lots of tattoos, in a small village filled with what would one day become Italian chicks. Now that's just a recipe for disaster. Better lock up your women folks!