Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally Did It.

Default Finally Did It.

I finally broke down and bought a 1911. I have an SD in .45 but it's too heavy to conceal carry. Great woods gun though. I bought a Springfield 1911 Loaded. The model number is PX9109LP. As luck would have it, I loaded it into the canoe to bring it home and kersplash. I lose more firearms that way.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Very nice.

Like the sights?

Very cool...congrats on the new baby....and condolences on your loss......

Some how many people just seem to come back to the 1911..... like gravity.

Everyone should have at least one....OR had one....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I just picked it up at 11:00 this morning so I can't comment on anything at this point. But they do shine in the dark.

very nice, welcome home
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Welcome to the club.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

One characteristic of the 1911 is they need a break in period.

Even if your model is 100% reliable out of the box, the more you shoot a 1911 the better it shoots. All the parts mate together and smooth out and it becomes a pleasure to shoot, sort of like putting on your favorite pair of slippers when your feet hurt.

And always remember, a .45 starts off at the size you hoped the 9mm would expand too!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Well my shooting ain't '75 but I love my 1911.

none better...

I have been reminded how flippin' tough they are to field strip compared to other handguns. But, hey, I guess a Bugatti is more complicated than my Ford pickemup.

They are no more difficult to field strip than anything else, but they do not fall apart when you press a button.

And you do not have to clean them that often, unless you are shooting reloads filled with Unique and and lead bullets using melted crayons for bullet lube. That messes them up a bit.

Yep, I have done some questionable stuff and gotten away with it! The 1911 is forgiving in that way. Got to remember that the 1911 was designed just a little bit after smokeless powder came around, and it went through two world wars, Korea and Viet Namn as well as every major bush war between. and after 35 years with the M9 our troops are still begging for the government to give back the 1911s.

Would you believe that I once owned one in 7.62x25?

They're not that bad to field strip. Do it enough and you can do it blind folded......if you hadn't lost it in yet another canoe accident.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Not that hard to strip and clean. Just practice. It came back to me fast.

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    Not that hard to strip and clean. Just practice. It came back to me fast.
    Yeah, it has a getting re-familiar phase after getting used to other guns. I have fallen back in love with the platform.

Still, my Sigs are the easiest handguns I think I have to field strip. Easier than a Glock.

Still, I bet most of you are like me and don't mind stripping and cleaning your guns. I do it while I am watching or listening to TV or Youtube videos.

Well you put a guilt trip on me and I had to break down my 1911 and give it a cleaning.

In the process I set the slide stop/thumb safety plunger and spring on a trip to the moon!

So now I have a clean gun with the slide stop and thumb safety flopping around like a dead chicken and just ordered a $3 part that cost $10 to ship!

It had been a good day right up till that last part.

Fortunately I have a back up .45 so I will not have to embarrass myself by carrying a 9mm until the parts come in.

Nice pickup! I don't have a 1911 at the moment. But I wouldn't mind getting another Colt in ,38 Super.

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    Still, I bet most of you are like me and don't mind stripping and cleaning your guns. I do it while I am watching or listening to TV or Youtube videos.
    I should follow you lead. The people at the range get a little nervous and start to talk when I strip down and start cleaning my guns.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I'm just use to pulling the slide lock with the rim of a 9mm or 45 and everything falls apart. This one requires an Allen wrench to remove the recoil spring rather than just push down on it. Took a minute to figure that out since the instructions don't bother to mention that. Then you can push down and rotate the bushing.

The new fancy ones have recoil spring guides and buffers and goodies that require that kind of attention.

I have a big box in the shop where I deposited 1911 add-ons over the years once I discovered they only created functioning issues and frustration. Beavertails, extended/ambidextrous safeties, recoil spring guides, drilled triggers, five or six different hammer styles.

Browning knew what he was doing. Fortunately you got a Springfield and let them hastle with all the problems of customizing.

Last one I bought the only thing I did was change the grips and I was nervous about that.

Your Springfield really is a beauty. I would be proud to carry that on my belt.

That is about the highest praise any firearm could ever hope to have.