Thread: Winch for moving trailers around....and Power pack

Default Winch for moving trailers around....and Power pack - Bump!

At this point...in my back yard at the city house.....is a camper trailer and my cargo trailer used for a job trailer and rendezvous gear.....have actually been keeping the rondy gear in in at all times....last couple of years.

The way the yard is set up....with trucks out of the way....I can just pull in the driveway into the garage and drop off trailer...and roll out of the way......
    When unloading....depending on what trailer it is....camper can be backed into the yard.....the cargo trailer, swung around and pulled in the spot along side the garage.

DW and I can generally swing around and pull prailers into what ever position we need .....but was easier when we were 10 years younger.....LOL.

Anyway.....the cargo trailer is still loaded so is heavy....and the parking spot is slightly up hill.....real PITA for only two old people.

I need help.......and as luck would have it.....neighbor moved away, other neighbors don't want to be bothered......sooo..
    Now we get to mechanical assist.

Harbor Freight had their 2500# $159 buck winch inn sale for $90 bucks....and weekly coupon flyer down to $54 bucks...
    http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...rol-61840.html

Bought their mounting plate....and added a piece of 2" angle I had in my "stuff" mounted to the plate ....with a trailer hitch ball.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Decided on this, after several idea of over engineering brackets and such......as all I want to do in pull trailer into position uphill......This can be installed and removed at the trailer hitch, latch.....so can be used in other trailers/places, as well.

Added anchor point on concrete.....No haven't tried it yet......may need to go with bigger anchor bolts....

Winch is remote control....so I will be out or the way.

Now all I need is a power pack.....

To be continued for power pack.........
    Last edited by hunter63; 04-21-2017 at 09:06 PM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I have been using a similar set up due to part of my place being inaccessible due to slope, even for 4wd, and quess where the lawn tractors and other gear winds up quitting most times?

I use mine opposite of your situation, which is probably best for you. My winch is hooked to the hitch at the vehicle and the cable strung to the trailer/item in question.

I can power it off the vehicle that way.

I have also used my jump-starter power pack on a couple of occasions and hooked the winch to a tree to get into better position.

I also have 150' of cable and snatch blocks so I can access anywhere on my lot from the top of the hill and pull around a corner if necessary.

My greatest problem is that I can not get off the gravel or pavement and onto grass without 4wd because this is KY and everything is straight up and down. 2wd will not get you across my front lawn. That is why I have kept a 20 year old Jeep around for so long, it's a garden tool.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 08-16-2016 at 05:52 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Power pack for winch.......
    The winch is for an ATV.... so battery drain is supposed to be low......,and I need a winch for one of the 4 wheelers anyway, made the purchase of the winch a no brainer.....as well as the power pack.

Now that leaves me with a couple of options.....
    Was considering a carry along "Power Pack"......so I can use it for more than just the trailer mover.
    Now in the I had one I think it was a "Peak".....with light....but no compressor.....Never did work worth a crap....
    They had one with all the extra stuff for like $90 bucks.....but no battery...WTF...all the stuff I don't need....but not the one thing I do need....
    The same unit with battery was like $180 bucks????

I don't need a light, have several lights....or compressor, have several as well......and a standard battery charger (have several of those) will work just fine.

Bought a garden tractor battery the next grade up in cranking amps...... but same size and terminals as my garden tractor....$40 bucks.
    Was gonna use a 50 cal ammo box....but battery was too tall....then spotted the bigger plastic ammo box (looks like one anyway) that taller and longer....Switched boxes.

Shimmed the battery with a piece of plywood..... so I doesn't slid around....and in it went.

Added a few accessories....an 350 watt inverter, male and female 12v power ports jumpers (cigarette light sockets for the old guys)
    spare nuts and wire......
    Need to add a set of jumper cables and a few adaptors for phones, lap tope and such..

Maybe add solar panel or on board charger/tender......work in process
    $15 buck box....$40 buck battery....odds and ends around the garage and shop............ it works.
    Last edited by hunter63; 08-17-2016 at 12:36 AM.

Yeah I hear ya....
    Gonna include a hook set up.... instead of the ball for exactly what you are describing.
    Just remove the ball add the hook.

So 12v winch and HD power pack w/hardware .....under $150 bucks......and didn't break, cut, tear, burn anything or bleed .....too much.....3/4 in drill was a close one....LOL
    Ended up with a bunch of little holes and a Dremel to make the big hole (old fashioned way)

Was a good day(s).

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Sometimes it is easier to find a chunk of metal with the right sized hole and cut around it!

That and I used to be real bad about blasting a hole out with the cutting torch and smoothing it out with an angle grinder!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Was debating dragging out the red and Green wrench vs. the drill a bunch of small holes around the pilot hole....pilot hole was too big to start with ...so really grabbed the 3/4 twist drill in the big right angle drill....like to knocked me out.....LOL

Had the drill press set up and didn't feel like moving DW car and the mower...... to dig out the oxy acetylene set.....

Uh several Solar panels as strong as they are will not run a heavy winch with the best battery....
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

@ Woo-I think he wanted the panel just to keep the battery charged up.

@ Hunter - Since you have 12V on the trailer you should be able to wire in a tender inside the box with your battery to keep the batter topped off.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    @ Woo-I think he wanted the panel just to keep the battery charged up.
    Yup....

@ Hunter - Since you have 12V on the trailer you should be able to wire in a tender inside the box with your battery to keep the batter topped off.
    And Yup.....

I sure this is just the basic beginners package.............Mind is working.......LOL

I think my mind is the basic beginner package.

Cool project. As we grow older we start listening to the advice of working smarter, not harder all those years ago.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Well, the TV has a remote, the stereo has a remote, the garage door has a remote, the door locks have remote.....so why not moving trailers?......

That good advice.......smarter, not harder.....

Soooo....
    Arrived at "The Place" (cabin) Wednesday....found everything pretty much intact form a long winter.

Tractor started...4 wheel had a new battery,...didn't what to start....???
    Acting like starter solenoid....
    There are about $25 bucks.....on line.....or $25 bucks 55 miles away.
    Can't have one sent with out a lot of fooling around...no address (just fire number).

Road Trip.
    So called and ordered one....be here Monday ....guy say bring the machine along incase there is something else wrong?...
    THAT is a wisest parts and service guy I have run into in a long time......they will fix it while a wait....

Now the problem was loading the dead 4 wheeler......

AND
    The hills are still wet and muddy from last fall....and thes spring ,,,,don't want to drive the truck down the hill....
    Thrip to hardware store, scored a 3 point hitch to 2" receiver adaptor.....
    Worked like a charm....for dragging trailers around in the mud...and up a down the hills.Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Hooked up the Harbor Freight trailer, backed up to the shed....put up the ramps. pulled the 4 wheeler up into the trailer.
    Ready to roll.
    That little winch really come in handy when you are by yourself.
    Used the battery pack to run the air compressor as well.

More the big cargo trailer with the tractor as well......
    Too bad I have to drop the mower off to use it.

Gawd....I love the tractor....!!!!! LOL
    Last edited by hunter63; 04-21-2017 at 10:30 PM.

I move trailers around my yard with the ATV , 700 Grizzly . As long as there isn't too much weight on the front of the trailer .

I have used the 4 wheeler as well...and pulled stuff I probably shouldn't have....
    Cargo trailer too heavy for a 4 wheeler anyway...besides that's down right now...

Hill is too wet muddy and slick...to want to fight it with the truck....
    Sooo tractor word very well
    Last edited by hunter63; 04-22-2017 at 03:33 PM.