Thread: Going Camping- You Don't Need A Gun.

Default Going Camping- You Don't Need A Gun.

Today, so many of the people who go to the outdoors camping, hiking, pooh pooh taking a gun. It is "sooooo retro."

Take a look at this story. Campground in Humbolt County, Calif.

http://www.times-standard.com/genera...an-in-petrolia

Glad the girl was not killed or seriously injured. Thankfully, a man there camping had not paid attention to the bliss ninnies.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

I have never needed a gun while camping..............but I have always had one.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Well. Dumbass. Don't do that in our Kracaneuner tribe camps. You won't walk away.

Never needed one either.....but there is something around if needed.....
    Glad it worked out....bet it hurt like heck......Good.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Interesting find....
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Interesting...Not the choice I would have made I don't think. Pretty tough call I guess. Hope it turns out okay for the Good Samaritan/rescuer/hero. Hmmm...shot him in the knee......Interesting.....

My father always liked to say "You never need a gun, until you need one real bad" Regardless of where Iam going, camping, grocery store, walk in movie, Doctor's Office, if I can, I will have one. (airplane travel sucks) I do not care one lick what the "In Crowd" thinks or says about it or me.

Madmax is right. We call the group we camp with the Kracaneuners (Crack of nooner) for our late risers. Here are a few of the bang bangs from our last trip.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Yeah. Not everybody presented either. I fell out that time at Pott's Preserve when we did a pic of the toys and that musician guy waited until everybody showed off their stuff and he walked up set down a rock and said,

"That's my singleshot"... priceless.

A gun is nothing more than an insurance policy. It insures I have the ability to fight whatever comes up. Good on the Samaritan!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

15 years ago I was hiking on the AT. Stopped at one of the trail shelters and set up my gear. Two or three other people were already there.

Cooked supper, sacked out and took notice that the other guys were not talking to each other, or me either. Not normal for the AT.

Bright and early, just after daylight, two NPS Rangers walked into the clearing, guns drawn, and arrested one of the other hikers.

He was wanted on a murder warrant out of Atlanta and had been hiding out on the AT for two weeks.

You never know what you are going to run into once you leave the confines of your home.

That is why I want more than pepper spray and a whistle when I am out.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

The only reason I carry a sidearm in the woods is for 2 legged critters. I have used my sidearm to finish off all manner of animals. But, that is not what I carry it for.

Once I needed my sidearm while camping and luckily I had it. Another time it would have been handy but I didn't have one.

Sometimes, when camping here in Alaska, the neighbors drop in unexpectedly and unwelcome. Very unpleasant.

fotolia_3116764_XS.jpg
    I'd much rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist....

Man! You know it's cold when it's a two bear night.

I can not even begin to imagine how I would deal with this. Go crawl in the truck and just wait them out I suppose.

You could always do like one of our trolls from a while back. It went something like this...........If a grizzly attacks me I'm going to punch him in the face and pull out my knife. He'll know he was in a fight......... Yeah, it gave us all a good laugh when he originally said it too.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    You could always do like one of our trolls from a while back. It went something like this...........If a grizzly attacks me I'm going to punch him in the face and pull out my knife. He'll know he was in a fight......... Yeah, it gave us all a good laugh when he originally said it too.

If a Grizzly attacks me...me and my 245 lb, 6'2" self is going to scream like a gurl and run <--- that way. I'll be 100% safe cuz the bear will be slipping and sliding in my ****.

But on a serious note, I too am always armed regardless of where I am. Hunting season I usually carry my 629 Classic but most other times and everywhere else it's a full sized, hicap 9 mm.

I've done the PA section of the AT years ago [I should go again] and was armed with a 586. Never needed it but I had it in case I did.
    "But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.--Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government."

~~Declaration of Independence

Yeah....
    No gun(s) here in camp, (nudge, nudge, wink).....or the pack(s).......or in the bag(s)...or truck(s)..or trailer(s)...tackle box(s)...or house(s).........BIG AZZ canoe accident back a while...was really sad.........
    Only had use for one once.....many years ago.......but have tried to be safe since.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27