Thread: Learn how to make the arapuka bird trap quick and easy

Default Learn how to make the arapuka bird trap quick and easy

My buddy and I made a video for our channel to create the arapuka bird trap. It's a simple trap that's easy to make and is extremely portable. A trap used by the guarani tribe in south america. This trap however, while it is called a bird trap it can also be used to catch smaller animals as well. It is said the Guarani have even used it to catch monkeys. Noy to sure how true that is considering I have no viable way to test or confirm that. Either way check out the video if you're interested and please share it with others who may be interested as well.

https://youtu.be/2PMQnKpgQ4M

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I have been suspicious of bird traps ever since my youth. Something about them I just don't trust.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd_41tM6H2Y
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Hey that technique for making the cage is pretty cool. Anytime you're needing a cage or box shape of some kind (I can see using it upside down to carry some somethings) and you're not going to engage in a weaving exercise that takes longer, this would be a way to go. Once made, seems an easy thing to weave in other things perpendicular to all the other sticks if you need to close the gaps more. Can even be a good way for a beginning template, so to speak, for something more permanent by weaving things into it afterwards in a more serious way and looping tree roots or any cordage round each stick/string/stick joint. I can imagine making one on a much larger scale, with two longer sticks out at two opposing sides for two people to carry things in it together upside down...and for catching the monkeys, maybe they made a larger scale one with some stones on it so it'd hold down more against a monkey trying to get out?
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Yeah I had a lot of those same thoughts that you could make a basket out of it, to carry objects in.....and that is a good point about a larger trap with weight for monkeys. As far as I know it is only rumored as I said I don't know how much truth there is to that as there is no way to test it to see if it would actually contain a monkey. Thanks for watching!

The arapuca is a great little trap. Very versatile. Good for catching doves eating your goat food lol....that was great by the way.

Pretty cool.....seems drop time is petty long....maybe not so high of a set?

Thinking monkey's would be a stretch..........and haven't seen any around here, much anyway....so can't try it out.
    Thanks for posting
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Will it catch little whipperschnappers running through your front yard chasing their football?

Will it catch a brunette hottie?
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

Banned

Great video - am keen to have a crack at making one. Keep up the great work.

Interesting.

I've always favored the coat hanger bird snare (easy to make and can set up several at a time and they can yield more birds for food/profit).

Use a handful of white rice as bait over a wide plank of wood or a few split logs and hang your snares a few inches over the planks. Why spend time trying to catch one when you can catch several. Definitely within my top 10 survival traps!

Sincerely,
    SurvivalGeek
    Last edited by SurvivalGeek; 03-19-2018 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Missing words/grammar

I like your method for making that cage. so much faster than normal. nicely done
    great video
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05