Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your examples of resourcefulness/improvisation

Default Your examples of resourcefulness/improvisation

Me and others making some comments recently about wastefulness and being thrifty, and generally having a mindset for being resourceful, made me think of doing this thread.

Really I'd just be interested in reading examples of improvising and being resourceful from other folks.

I sometimes have to explain to others that I have a strong creative/artistic drive, but that it's not for a particular medium for it's own sake, but that it's more how I live life. So it's not just about being artistic, though it is often an excuse to sneak some artistry into it. And at any given time I'll have a drawer or two somewhere, or a big box, (if not a whole garage), dedicated for all those little odd things that others would normally throw away...and whenever I'm needing some little something but don't know yet what it is, I look here and often find something that does the trick instead of going out and buying a package of several something's for the job.

A fuzzy criteria (really fuzzy though) for what I'm after here is unconventionality. Meaning that just saving nuts and bolts for later isn't what I mean. For a better idea, these are some things I've done:

- Saw some wooden outdoor furniture on someone's curb being thrown away. Cape cod or Adirondack I believe (and white). Was obviously old, but not structurally bad. Put them in the trailer, took them home, added a wooden spool to the set for a table that I'd found somewhere else, painted them with some yellow paint I had, and set them way out in the middle of a long yard that I had at the time.

- Someone across the road replaced a couple of their privacy fence panels, and put the old ones on their curb. I carried one home, took it apart, cut the planks shorter and cut a point on one end of each, and using other boards from this panel made a foot-tall picket fence to close in a rectangular area next to the house and created a flowerbed there, and painted it green. Made another bed area with concrete bricks being thrown away by someone else as the border, half-buried into the ground on their side edge.

- Populated these flowerbeds with things other people removed and were throwing away, like a Yew shrub, a Forsythia shrub, etc, which absolutely flourished in their new home. Gave a neglected half-dead rose bush some love that was in the area, and it flourished as well. Found some kind of indoor decorative wire cage type of knick-knack and put it in a bed and placed an outdoor light in it.

- Didn't like the collars available at the store for my dog, so got some bit of chain (links about 1 inch wide) and made my own. Made him look as tough as he was.

- Found a resin frog figure meant for a table or garden (?) about 9 inches big, bright colors, with it's legs splayed out randomly. Affixed it to one side of my truck's hood facing backwards. Looking like he was holding on for dear life as I went down the road.

- A truck I got once, the cover on the steering wheel was coming apart. So I just tore it all off, exposing the metal ring. Then wound a rope of just the right diameter and grip texture round-and-round the ring, making my own steering wheel cover.

- Have had two vehicles the primer of which was coming off badly. Though in excellent shape, they were used and low-cost, so I didn't need a new paint job to cost as much as the vehicle nor to last 10 years. So I got some spray paint meant for an outdoor metal building, masked everything with tape and newspaper, and painted (only takes a few cans). In one case, while I was at it I decided to be 'different' - used a mottled copper penny look. It looked gorgeous. The other I made white...someone thought I'd got a new car.

- Seen some small ice plant type of succulent that puts out cool purple flowers growing somewhere as a weed. Dug it up and put it in a pot. Looks awesome.

- Make my own potting soil...for one component, I go to sites where they're building a new home or installing a swimming pool, and grab a chunk of that solid red clay stuff they dig up.

- When I first started a yardscaping business that I had once, instead of paying for advertising, I displaced a panhandler on a curb and danced around with a rake and straw hat and handed out colorful info pages I had printed out along with business cards.

- When I run across some bit of scrap pipe, I hacksaw it down and make windchimes.

- Found a floor lamp in a dumpster once. Was mostly in good shape. Cleaned and fixed it up, found just the right lampshade in a thrift store, and now I have a nice looking floor lamp mostly for free.

- Got about 5 little two-dollar thrift store clock radios, put them on the floor in various places about my place, stay set on the same station, and now I have real surround sound. Really, it's pretty good. Have fooled many people, talking about the quality of sound. You'd be surprised.

- Had to move once, had no furniture, no vehicle to transport any I'd buy, so I found a place close enough to work to just walk and learned how to use the city bus; Brought home select pieces of wood from pallets and 2x4's from work everyday that they always throw away, built various pieces of furniture at home, woodburned designs on them, sanded and oiled, and done. Made the place look awesome and one-of-a-kind. Even had offers to make a piece for a pretty high price tag.

- Warehouse cat at a job needed some attention and exercise, was so fat a customer thought it was a puppy. Made a swiss-army-knife cat toy out of a big cardboard box, spring from within a sprinkler head, pieces of pvc pipe, string, ping pong balls, a bell, mirror, holes in the sides of the box, one thing connected to the other so their movement affected each other, etc. Had several gadgets on it, a one-stop multi toy. He'd go crazy on it. And he was a hard nut to crack too, was hard to impress.

- Found one of those indoor square glass and metal light fixtures, put it outside on a pole and put a light in it for a yard lamp-post (with outside-safe cord).

- Once, for security where I was at the time, in the right doorway I hung 3 fishing lines with small fine fishhooks up and down each, for a burglar who wouldn't notice it until too late.

- Found myself living in an apartment (when I hate apartments). Craved that fireplace/chimney smell. So I made my own 'incense' contraption, fireplace/chimney flavor; Got a bag each of mesquite and hickory chips meant for grilling (works great on my grill too), a candle holder of the right size (height), bulk tea light candles, and one of those screen sink drain inserts. Place chips in the drain, drain on top of candle holder, trim tea light wick, and light. Smolders faint smoke lightly over a long time. Mmmm...

- Had a situation once where I needed to have several keys clipped to my person and ready. Some office telephone stuff was being thrown away somewhere. Got some of that spiral-springy phone cord, a ring on one end and clip on the other...works great.

- Had a recliner that fit me perfectly and did everything...rock, recline...but didn't swivel. A ratty chair on someone's curb being thrown away had a swivel on it, so I stopped and took the swivel off and took it home and put it on my recliner.

- A truck's heater broke, and until I could fix it I put de-icing in the washer fluid. Worked so good along with other strategies that I developed that I never fixed the heater, and went through 5 winters that way. Including one mountainous Kentucky winter. Believe it or not, Ripley.

Ok that's enough examples from me already. Just figured I'd get much of my stuff out there and out of the way in the beginning. So, whatch-y'all got?!
    Last edited by WalkingTree; 08-11-2016 at 07:58 AM.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

Yeah, you kinda covered all my stuff already.
    I'll just watch.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Fan belt broke on the NJ Turnpike while on my way to Submarine School. When it broke, it whipped the radiator hose and cut it. Night time, little money. There happened to be a pair of pantyhose in the back of my car (story for another time) that acted as an improvised fan belt. Electrical tape (lots of it) repaired the slice in the radiator hose. Made it to Connecticut. Replaced the fan belt within a couple of days. Replaced the radiator hose about a month later.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Way too crazy a thread even for me. Crash can verify my crazy...

Many, Many, projects start out with......
    I want a "insert item".....what have I got that will work........

Lot of furniture at 'The Place" were redone curb finds.....
    Example:....
    Windows....and swung it to open....... are only 29 inches off the floor....because of the Amish installing insulation and tongue and groove flooring......
    Curb find table removed spacers between legs and table dropping it to fit.
    Dressers.....Curb finds...broken drawers.....removed and cut down to fit under windows...
    Beds: salvaged pedestals from old water beds....storage and replaces box springs.

Other curb finds.....leather couches and chairs....Urban Buffalo....salvage leather for bags, clothes and other gear....

Today......
    Used part of a rawhide dog chew toy....soaked and molded around a broken corner of a pack basket.....let dry..... then stitched in with artificial sinew.
    Had tried a deer hide made into rawhide....was so tough I couldn't get my needle thru it easily....

Like the frog on the hood .......cool.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

So you're the guy making the wind chimes my neighbor buys.
    Please stop.
    Should be a law they gotta take those things in at night.....

Repurposing items is no great stretch.
    My whole life has been mostly improvisation.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Repurposing items is no great stretch.
    My whole life has been mostly improvisation.
    Yea, this is the wrong crowd..or right one. The kind who wouldn't frequent a place like this might be more impressed.

The coffee cup warmers I'd see at a thrift store are something I used to make fun of. Then one day my enjoyment of coffee evolved to the point where I thought that I'd like one. Karma. By that time, I couldn't find them any more at a thrift store. Such things just went out of style...unless they exist in some rare commercial circle and I don't know it. But I'm walking through the store one day and take more of a notice of something else that I kind of rolled my eyes at before...was always there, on the store shelf. But now I took a longer look. A scented candle warmer. You don't have to light your scented candle, but just plug this thing in and put your candle on it, and you have your fragrance wafting out. Well, I said to myself "that looks like a coffee cup warmer to me." Been using it ever since.

- William Arthur Ward

So, if I make my dog a collar out of chain will it make her look tougher, or will it make me look like a guy trying to make a bichon frise look tougher by putting a chain collar around her neck?

When I was 13 years old, my friends and I were playing Tag in their back yard. It was so dark outside that we couldn't really see anything. That's why when we went back in, I noticed that I didn't have my glasses. So, we got a rope from the garage, wound the rope around a stick and went back outside. We stuck the stick in the middle of the yard and walked around the stick to unravel the rope. Each pass around the stick enlarged our search area but made sure that we covered every inch of it. We eventually found my glasses and all thanks to something I learned from a forensics TV program. I did this once more in college for a friend who lost their glasses in the woods. Pretty handy.

One time we were gathering apples from the park orchard to make cider. No one had a ladder or rope and some of the really good apples were way too high to reach. So, I suggested that we loop all of our belts together to make one really long belt, toss it over the highest branch and shake the apples down. It worked without causing any harm to the tree and we were able to get our belts back.

One time as a joke I went into Domino's and asked them if it was Free Pizza Friday. They didn't know and the manager wasn't around, so they made me a medium pepperoni and mushroom for free.

Awhile ago I was in a real hurry to go camping, but I didn't have a working cooler, so I put a hefty bag filled with ice into a box and put Styrofoam peanuts all around it. Not only did it work, but after two days there was still ice in my makeshift cooler! I figured out how to do this based on some research I was doing on refrigerators and thermoses.

One day at school, my calculator lost the "=" button during a test. I cut a small piece of paper out and used my #2 pencil to fill the paper in with graphite, which conducts electricity. When I needed to use the "=" button, I just put the paper on my finger and touched the area where the missing button was.

In chemistry, we were taking a test called the "Sludge Test." It's where you are given a mysterious brown glop and you have to use all of your know how to break down the sludge and figure out what it was made out of. We got down to the very last ingredient, some strange black slish. Nobody could really tell what it was by the smell or appearance. I burned it and the flame was blue, which to me meant it was sugar (Only because I was such a pyro as a kid). Also, the smell of the burning burnt black crud was not unlike my grandma's burnt rum cake. Now, nobody was willing to bet their score on some guys anecdotal evidence, but I convinced Mr. F to let us go down to Ms. W's classroom because she teaches Home Ec'. He knocked on her door and asked if he could borrow a cup of sugar. We used the sugar to compare it to the black crud with some tests. We got our A and Mr. F got a date with Ms. W, who is now Mrs. F.

I loved to sleep in when I was a kid and still do, but this was impossible when my grandma came to visit us. Every day at around 7:00 AM, she would come into my room and sing in the tune of Reveille "It's time to get up, it's time to get up, it's time to get up in the Moooooorning. It's time to get up, it's time to get up, it's time to get up right nooooooow! Wake up, wake up wake up! Wake up, wake up wake up! Wake up, wake up wake up! It's time to get up right nooooooow!" That stopped one day, when she couldn't find me. When I was a kid, my bed was two small mattresses pushed together. I had this great idea. What if I pushed them slightly apart, laid down in between them, and carefully laid up the sheets so it looked like no one had ever slept in the bed! The next day I awoke at 7:00 AM, not to a song, but to someone walking around my room opening the closet and everything else. Then grandma shouted my name all over the house. Ah, sleep at last.

Another grandma story. My mom was telling me this funny story about how when she was a kid, grandma used to buy a bag of almond joy's. She and her brother would carefully open each individually wrapped candy, eat it, fill it up with air and put it back in the bag. Grandma could never figure it out, she'd open the bag of Almond Joy's and every single one would be empty! Now this was news to me that grandma actually had candy in the house. She was always making me eat beans and rice and teaching me about rationing yada yada yada. So, the next time that grandma was over, I looked for this mysterious bag of Almond Joy's, ate them, filled the wrappers back up with air and put them back. The next day, I saw her go to the cabinet and I had to bite my tongue. She put her hand in the bag and it deflated. To which, she exclaimed "Jiminy Christmas, not again!" Mwahahahaha.

Now that was worth reading Thanks.
    LOL....Congrats for thinking out side the box (bag?).....Rep sent......
    ...And the reminds me of the old days as well...

I was sometimes considered a smartaz in some classes in school......because if stamp collecting.
    You had to know countries, money, who occupied who, when?....who won wars?....and where all these off the wall places were.
    ....and who the people on the stamps were...

Had three stamps from the Bikini Atoll.....before it was blown up......
    https://www.google.com/search?q=biki...HUCyDDAQsAQIRg
    Just full of fun facts.....

Tundra B - I would use a felt tip marker and draw a mustache and heavy eyebrows on that dog. I suppose you could draw a tattoo on its shoulder. That might help. There's only so much a guy can do to toughen up that dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Tundra B - I would use a felt tip marker and draw a mustache and heavy eyebrows on that dog. I suppose you could draw a tattoo on its shoulder. That might help. There's only so much a guy can do to toughen up that dog.
    Hey, she is a dog for the manly man. Walk down the street with that dog, and people know you fear nothing.

A bichon fries?......
    Isn't that the dog you tie on a stick, and use to clean high places?

Not since the conversation with the SPCA, no.

tundrabadger - The item on my list about a chain collar was more tongue in cheek...I was never too much about being macho with my dog. But I did have a little fun with it though; Thought he was cute with a big ole chain. Miss that dog. In the way that so far I think I'll never have another dog again. Was a mixed breed, from an ad from someone needing to give away a couple pups. I remember making it a point to have him, at barely weaning age, rest against my skin under my shirt on the drive home so we'd "bond". Was a pretty tough guy, on that note. I got lots of stories about how cool and smart he was, and funny.

Rollicks - Those are some really excellent stories. Mr. F got a date with Ms. W, who is now Mrs. F. Wow.
    Last edited by WalkingTree; 08-12-2016 at 01:45 PM.

- William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTree View Post
    tundrabadger - The item on my list about a chain collar was more tongue in cheek...I was never too much about being macho with my dog. But I did have a little fun with it though; Thought he was cute with a big ole chain. Miss that dog. In the way that so far I think I'll never have another dog again. Was a mixed breed, from an ad from someone needing to give away a couple pups. I remember making it a point to have him, at barely weaning age, rest against my skin under my shirt on the drive home so we'd "bond". Was a pretty tough guy, on that note. I got lots of stories about how cool and smart he was, and funny.

Rollicks - Those are some really excellent stories. Mr. F got a date with Ms. W, who is now Mrs. F. Wow.
    Don't mind me...just being a goofball. Though I did used to have a cat I put a spiked collar on. Would have looked really hardcore if he hadn't been a longhair.

On the up side, he could comb his own hair with the collar.

most of what I have done has been covered but.....
    have you ever duck taped a u-joint together to get where you are going or
    used a ratchet strap to replace the carrier bearing or
    seen the look on the mechanic when the tie rod is held on with bale wire

Quote Originally Posted by Fixit View Post
    most of what I have done has been covered but.....
    have you ever duck taped a u-joint together to get where you are going or
    used a ratchet strap to replace the carrier bearing or
    seen the look on the mechanic when the tie rod is held on with bale wire
    Now that is extreme.....
    Duct taped the valve covers edges and oil filler cap to keep oil for sloshing out of a VW engine race car... during driving school.
    Worked.

Filed down bailing wire for an improvised helicoil to re-install a spark plug that blew out of your 1968 Volkswagon Van.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel