Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yeti VS Ozark Trail

Default Yeti VS Ozark Trail

Here's my review of my Yeti Tumbler vs my Ozark Trail Tumbler. Both are 30 ounces.

Empty weight - Yeti.....13.75 oz Ozark Trail.....14.20 oz
    w/ice weight - Yeti.....1lb 12.95 oz Ozark Trail.....1lb 13.20 oz
    w/water - Yeti......2 lb 9.95 oz Ozark Trail.....2lb 9.50 oz
    lids - Yeti.....2.15 oz Ozark Trail.....2 oz

I wanted to see how they compared with ice and liquid. I put them outside, in the shade when the temperature was 91 degrees.

After about 14 hours there was still ice. The area on the outside of the tumbers aboe the line of liquid had condensation on them, but that was a small band. The rest of the the surface area of both tumblers were dry.

At the 19 hour mark there was still a small amount of ice in each of the tumblers.

When I got home from work (23 hour mark) there was no ice in either tumbler, but the water in both of them were ice cold.

I would call this test a tie.

Yeti Tumbler - about $40
    Ozark Trail Tumbler - about $10

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Did you note that phone number on the bottom or the Yeti......?
    You call it and they bring you a cold drink ANYWHERE in the world....at ant time, for as long as you own it?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Nice! Good review and good to know. Im sure you returned the yeti and got four more Ozarks?

The thing is, if you are drinking 30oz beyond 5 hours then you are headed towards dehydration. Is 24 hours needed for anything but bragging rights?
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Sam was talking about the OT this summer. The guy at Wallyworld in Sylva said they couldn't keep them in stock.

Nope. Keeping them both. What is nice is that I start the day with a tumbler filled with ice and add bottled water to it throughout the day. At the end of the day I still have cold water and I'm drinking well over a gallon of water a day.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

From that title I thought Yeti was hiking the Ozark Trail...and failing. Good review!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    From that title I thought Yeti was hiking the Ozark Trail...and failing. Good review!
    LOL, thats what I was thinking

For a practical test.... this is spot on. All you really need to know is the super basics of will it keep the water just as cold. What you are really trying to figure out is, is the Yeti worth the extra $30. I wonder how durability compares.

Of course, I have to set up scientific experiments all the time for my job, so....if your kids are looking for an experiment to do for school, here are some things to look at. Remember, I am just being anal. I am not criticizing what you did. No need to take what I am going to say seriously.

First, putting ice and liquid together was the right thing to do. It eliminates the problem of different heat transfer coefficients from the air to the ice, based on surface area of the ice. Measuring the amount/weight of both the ice and water was perfect. That way you are sure that they have equal amounts. I would definitely try and measure the specific gravity of both...even though those will probably be the same as the constants that you can look up. Besides, it would teach the kid how to measure specific gravity.
    Putting them both in the same spot at the same time was the best thing to do.
    Randomly checking when the ice melts all the way is a difficult way to determine which is better and by how much. A thermocouple in each one, with a data recorder recording every few seconds would have given you a great graph...and a specific time when the temperature started to rise. An arduino is perfect here, and can even teach kids a little bit of programming.
    This is semantics, but generally speaking for tap water in a stationary container.... once the last remaining bit of ice has melted...the water is not "ice cold". It is now above that temperature. There are many exceptions...which I know you are aware of...since you were a submariner.
    What would be a nice to have measurement would be the temperature and pressure of the outside air, a meter or so away from the cups. This would help setting up a heat transfer equation and giving you a constant that you can compare between the two.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

I was going to do all of that. I really was, but got lazy and didn't want to break out all of the gizmos and gadgets.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

The most important thing for the efficiency of these tumblers (for me) is that when I am canoe or car camping and have a limited ice supply I can still enjoy a cold beverage for the duration of the trip.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Hang on. I'm still looking up coefficient. I'm thinking two efficient people. (get it? Co efficient?).

Good to know but I would never pay the yeti price for a tumbler. I do have a yeti can coozie I got for a birthday present last year and it's awesome. Was a good present but I wouldn't have paid the $30 bucks for one.

I'm thinking the Yeti has a snob factor.....and to me isn't worth 3/4 more money....so yeah great review.....
    Seems the key points were observed and noted....so a 3/4 improvement wasn't apparent.

Had a 1/2 gal plastic cooler form Pizza Hut......filled with ice every morning....while working on roof tops....kept in the shade.
    Ice melted an gave 33 degree water most of the day....
    Did supplement with coffee, bottled sports drinks and water.

I don't need cold water....just wet, clean water.....and a lot of it.

I agree with most the sentiments here that the price to result ratio of yeti products is seldom worth it. Just as Crash's test has shown, you can easily pay less for similar results. Not that yeti is a bad company. Perhaps some kind of warranty justifies the cost? Even so, you can go through 4 OT's for the price of a Yeti soooo......

One Yeti product that I would love to get is one of their coolers should I have a few hundred dollars to spare. I see those as beneficial for ice conservation when camping, although it would always have to be hidden because I am certain they are probably stolen frequently.

I can see Crash's benefit in using the tumbler throughout the day in his line of work. That is a good application I hadn't considered. I work in and around building's non-stop and always have access to both ice and water so filling up my $1.99 insulated coffee mug every couple hours is no biggie.

FinallyME, you are spot on for a scientific test (I just finished Chemistry and we covered all the things you mentioned in lab). However, I don't think Crash was going for a scientific test, he was going for a practical application test which users and potential users can understand the results in which they can expect. The average joe (I know, everyone here is an above average joe!) doesn't know or understand the process that you have explained. (Take Rick's understanding of coefficients, for example! )

Crash, thank you for putting this test together. Next time I am at Wally-World, I may look to see if they have a couple of these myself. Sounds useful for discreet adult beverage consumption around the campfire.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

I love my Ozark Trail tumbler.

Sent from my QMV7B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post

FinallyME, you are spot on for a scientific test (I just finished Chemistry and we covered all the things you mentioned in lab). However, I don't think Crash was going for a scientific test, he was going for a practical application test which users and potential users can understand the results in which they can expect. The average joe (I know, everyone here is an above average joe!) doesn't know or understand the process that you have explained. (Take Rick's understanding of coefficients, for example! )
    I know. I hope he didn't take my suggestions the wrong way. I think what he did was perfect. My intent was more of a "if you want to do a really cool science experiment for your kids....here are some suggestions...". I have to do this a lot in my job, plus I have to do it once a year with my kids. Mythbusters do a great job 95% of the time. But 5% of the time, they ignore some variables and it drives me crazy.
    Most people have no idea about science and what it is, or what the scientific method is. Most public school teachers have no idea as well. Science specific teachers in middle/junior high and high school generally know it very well. But Elementary teachers don't, and most of my kids had to start doing science projects in elementary school. The biggest concepts that people don't understand are what constants and variables are, and how to control them, or even why you need to. Anyways....way off topic.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Didn't take it the wrong way at all.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I thought it was an objective test....and thanks to Crash..... for spending the money to compare the two.....
    You pay your money and make your choice......
    Pretty straight forward.
    Personally I would not spend the money on a Yeti......

The Yeti was a Christmas present. The Ozark Trail was a curiosity.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Senior Member Pennsylvania Mike's Avatar

Thanks to Dave for the review of the Ozark trail stainless steel 30 ounce mug I purchased 2 mugs in Virginia, one for the wife and one for me to use during the hot weather in Virginia this summer. We decided to leave the mugs behind when we headed back to Pennsylvania thinking that we would buy another set we got home at the local Walmart.
    When I got to the store here in PA there were none to be found other than the 20 ounce size and after a while they were gone too, I asked the clerk and he had no idea when they would come in so on the way out from the sporting goods department on the main isle near the housewares there was a display of Mossy Oak 30 ounce stainless steel Identical to the Ozark and mug but a different lid, sort of a double lid that you can close the opening so you don't spill your drink. I bought 2 and they work just as good to keep cold and hot as the Ozark but I like the double lid better on the Mossy Oak.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mossy-Oak...l-Mug/51240752
    There are 4 pictures and one of them is of the lid and by the way this one is a couple dollars more but to me it is worth it.