Thread: Rocket Stove Madness.... What is your favorite?

Default Rocket Stove Madness.... What is your favorite?

While watching one of my "survival" shows a guy living in the woods had this Biomass stove under a dutch oven... making breakfast and having a smoke. Although this works - I was wondering if there was anything better. For Example if it were taller - there would be less smoke. If the front tube was more constricted and had more air draw - would it not be hotter... thoughts?

“There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I have never been real keen on these upgraded hobo stoves. They accomplish little that can not be done over an open fire, but with a lot more complication. Too big and too nasty to pack into the woods.

If I want to cook in the yard I just fire up the grill. If I want an open fire I have a cord of split wood stacked up and little need to pick up twigs from the roadside.

If I am going into a place where open fires are prohibited I have a selection of white gas and alcohol stoves to choose from.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I have to kinda agree....
    Like hearing and seeing different ways of doing thinks.....but a rig like that isn't really a "carry around unit" unless you are driving or packing on something.

What is the advantage of a "rocket stove" over other style ...is it just the ability to burn sticks and twigs?

I do carry a homemade brazier.....in the style of unit used for many years...
    Uses charcoal, sticks or I save lumber ends......wood Mc nuggets.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

they're great for areas that have open fire restrictions.

I cook on my little CORE stove all the time and love it. Helps me clean the twigs in the yard by cooking with them

I agree with KY.

If you do a youtube search, there is one that can be made out of three cinder blocks. I have used that a couple of times with great success. Just looking to cook something for 30 mins or less when it's too hot to stand over an open fire. Not trying to get the most BTU's per twig. IMO, the cinder block is the quickest, cheapest way of a rocket stove that works just fine.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

well that's why I like you folks... when I start a thread I have no idea where it will end up .... Yea less wood - easy start 3rd world tech on a edge. This was going to be added to a tow able camper and for making stew and other items.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

I can't say I've used them except playing around and cooking a bit . If I were to improve it, I might try to attach a metal mail box on the front of it so I could load it up and adjust the fire by opening and closing the door. I'm sure you could use it as an oven if you could wrap some tin around most of it so the handle of the pan stuck out and the wrapped tin was an inch above the pan with a big cake pan on the top with some coals in it. Then you could peek in on it all the time. Sometimes, though, simple is better. But, it could be fun to play with.
    I did know a 3rd world woman who could have used it outside. I wanted to make her almost any basic setup, but I couldn't because I started getting the evil eye from my wife.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    well that's why I like you folks... when I start a thread I have no idea where it will end up .... Yea less wood - easy start 3rd world tech on a edge. This was going to be added to a tow able camper and for making stew and other items.
    In that scenario would be a great addition to the rig......or a stationary location.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Working in public sites and historic places like us re-enactors do we run into a lot of fire restrictions for our camps.

Like Hunter was saying, I have several braziers that I use in camp and even an "off the ground fireplace" that will take 2 foot split wood. I have also used small tent stoves many times and have made several tent stoves that are much like the rocket stove except they have a stove pipe outlet, door on the front and a damper.

All are appropriate for tow-in camps where the soot, smoke and size are not a factor.

I guess I have been spoiled by my state or preparation and available tools and junk pile resources and would expect to make a better, larger and less smokey unit for home use. Perhaps even something that could be used inside the house during the emergencies that would preclude its use.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

would a dakota fire hole be considered a rocket stove of sorts?
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Of sorts. Or just two connected holes in the dirt.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel