Thread: Where to start

Default Where to start

He finally did it.... my BIL bought a bunch of farmland. I think he bought around 40 acres. This is in central Utah, down in the valley. It is a big square 40 acre plot that has been used as farm land. No trees. (Almost all trees in the valleys in Utah are planters). He is buying water rights. There is water, although it is contingent on what falls in the mountains and sharing with the rest of the valley (like everywhere else in the state). There is absolutely nothing on the land right now, no buildings. He wants to turn it into a weekend getaway, BOL, hobby farm..etc. He also wants his family to use it. He told me and my other BIL that we can both take 5 acres and do what we want to improve it. He doesn't have immediate plans to move on to the land. First he is going to build a little cottage. Eventually he will put a steel barn/shed/garage on the property. I keep telling him that he can't have a hobby farm unless he actually live on it.... because a farm requires you to do something every day. You can't leave it for month and expect good results, especially with animals. I don't think he quite understands that.

So, my question.... what should I do first...and second...etc? I don't plan to live on it. But, I would like to make it a BOL, or a vacation spot. It is in a very beautiful valley close to National Forests and some great fishing spots. My first thought is to put a big metal storage container on the land to store anything I want (food/supplies). It isn't downtown Chicago, but since no one is living on the property, and there are no trees, it might look like an easy target for the local miscreants. A shed would probably be easier to break into, then a shipping container. I do plan to throw up a small cabin/cottage just big enough to throw some bunks in. Anyways, just looking for ideas.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

My wife and I built a 16' by 16' cabin on 17 acres in WNC. Spring water, no elec. We spend a few months a year there and love the simplicity. It's not for everybody. Sounds like you have access to some good land. Saw a vid on a buried container that was literally bombproof. I don't know if that's where you want to go with it, but it sure is nice having the options. Take your time planning.

Our first addition to "The Place" was a 1963 16 ft Shasta Camper ($400 bucks)....followed a 12 X10 ft. shed $1000 bucks built by local HS kids.
    Camper did get broke into....thru the roof vent.....But even if it burned down....not much loss on value.

I like you storage container idea.....and would even consider at least partially burying it...what out for dirt loads....but will help keep you tools and such protected.
    Remember., if some one want to do the work....nothing ios save and anything can be broke into.
    To this day I still don't leave guns or money......and just keep cheap tool at the cabin and shed.

I do leave some beer, soda and water, in the refrigerator, on the porch...... Take that and don't break down the door.

As far as BIL......many people you can't tell anything to....Thye have to find out the hard way......Just enjoy your good fortune...but remember, still isn't yours, so I would put too much money into it....you never know.

Was a heck of a hunting camp on the ridge a few mile away from me.....had a big shed, with power, well, bathrooms and storage....Pads for like 4 big campers....camp fire ring and game area.....like a mini camp ground.
    Guy camped there and hunted ...had about 100 acres ......
    Then all trailers were gone....The place up for sale...????????

Good luck,..... have fun.........Hve your stuff portable....LOL
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

A nice root cellar might not be so conspicuous. http://www.motherearthnews.com/diy/b...z14amzreb.aspx
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I guess a buried septic tank is a good start. It won't cost much to buy, transport, or bury. I can cover the entrance with rocks to deter thieves, and get a good amount of food and supplies in there for a cache. Maybe do two and actually store water in one.

Well, myself...since you wouldn't live there but also might not need it primarily as a main activity spot (?)...I'd be first tempted to make a certain kind of vacation spot, but really 'do it up' in certain respects: Intentionally make it smallish. A really charming little cottage, specifically for 'chilling' basically, though maybe with just enough (barely) in it's design to accommodate an excursion like fishing or an onsite grilling, etc - cozy in size though. A tiny 'yard' at the front door, some cross between a privacy fence and a courtyard border to create an internal 'sanctuary' space but not completely close you in visually from your perspective...and lots of landscaping within. Lots of foliage, flowers, random stones, nighttime lighting, etc. Try to attract butterflies, birds, crickets. And ample windows with screens to open at night while asleep. And the rest of the allocated area (outside of the fence) is to plant a few trees and such to enhance the overall environment from within. Oh yea. So obviously I'd first need a water solution (cistern etc) for the landscaping, and just a few inconspicuous solar panels but not much. And a black-waste system for such a place need only be minimal.
    Last edited by WalkingTree; 08-11-2016 at 05:14 AM.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

Precast cellars are very abundant down here. (Oklahoma) you can have a 6"X8' installed for less than $2500 with a 10 year guarantee for no water leaks. Pretty good place to store stuff, pretty low profile, lockable, actually makes a super powder magazine. I just bought two (2) 40' X 8' x 8' shipping containers. Again with a guarantee: water tight, varmint proof. They are the walls of a 40' X 40' building I am having built right now. I would keep it very simple and very low key if I were you.
    Last edited by DSJohnson; 08-11-2016 at 11:27 PM.

Well I swan. I had no idea they made precast cellars. That's cool. Another learning day. Ya gotta luv that. Thanks!

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Finally Me, what is the road access situation?

Is this area on a heavily traveled road system?

If not I would suggest a used RV as Hunter suggested. I have done three homesteads over the years and have used the "RV first" method twice, finding it nice to have all the necessities in a self contained unit. Normally all you need is a generator to have all the comforts of home available on location cheaply and completely. Mama will be much happier if she has AC, heat, a propane stove and a fridge on hand.

You haul in food, water, propane, and haul out waste, and use it as a base camp while installing all the other expensive ideas as the months/years progress.

After the RV is in place decide where you want the septic tank and field line and you have eliminated the need to haul out the waste and established the first and most important improvement to the property besides water rights. In my area you can not do anything to a plot until you get the septic sorted out. No building permits, no big holes dug in the ground, no containers setting on the property, no power installation, until the septic, or an approved compost toilet, is in.

It is much easier to get all the other things done when you have a place of comfort to retreat too, and a hot shower to look to at the end of the day.

Right off the bat I would start looking for a good food grade container that would fit in my truck and hold enough water to last a weekend, even if I planned on camping in tents.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Since it is my Brother in Law's property, and he wants to put a little cabin and other buildings on it.... I will let him get a septic tank put in. I know he is planning on it. The road access isn't heavily traveled....but it is one of the few methods to get from one small town to another, so there is traffic on it, mostly the local farmers. It is more of a off the beaten path road, then a main road. Thanks for all the suggestions. Mostly what I plan to do is wait and see what my BIL does first. Then asses the property and do something simple.

It is always difficult to establish priorities when using another person's land.

If you go the RV route you might want to consider judicious application of some earth tone and pastel paint appropriate for the arid area you frequent. You can render a good sized RV almost invisible with proper camouflage technique.

These guys were expert at hiding big items in open desert.

http://lrdg.hegewisch.net/lrdgvehicles.html
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 08-12-2016 at 10:07 AM.

HUNTER 63- " ... but remember, still isn't yours, so I would put too much money into it....you never know."
    Yep. Unless your BIL deeds you those five acres, it still belongs to him and everything on it. Sometimes, there are fallings-out between family members. As Hunter 63 said, "You never know."

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Another plus for the RV approach.

If you don't like the neighborhood you can hitch up to your house and water tank and leave.

I also hear that there are recreational land use permits for some of the BLM areas where you can pay a small annual fee and park an RV in a box canyon for a year, as long as you haul everything out and make no modifications to the land. My FIL had such a set up in AZ on a piece of worthless Sonora desert.

My BIL plans on selling anyone who wants a few acres a plot at $2000 an acre. he can't do this until after he owns it outright. At this point, I am not planning on buying any land. I am seeing this as another basket for me to put some eggs in. He is willing to let me store supplies there, so that is what I am planning to do. It will take me more than a year to get anything there in the first place. I need to buy the supplies, and whatever I plan to put them in.

I did have a long conversation with him yesterday about what I thought he should do. I actually told him a lot of what KYRS said. I told he that he should wait at least a year to really see what happens and what is normal. What does it look like when it is raining like crazy, where does the prevailing winds come from. What is the normal snow load, and what is the condition with the snow.....etc. I told him that to do that, he needs to camp out often for the first year... and to do that, he should probably get a camper trailer...and to do that, he should probably get a bigger truck. He will need a bigger truck anyways, because he will need to pull a tractor on a trailer.... anyways....we will see. This is a long term thing.
    Last edited by finallyME; 08-15-2016 at 10:52 AM.