Thread: Koolyomka (siberian deadfall)

Default Koolyomka (siberian deadfall)

So one of my buddies favorite documentaries is Happy People: A Year in the Taiga. If you have never seen it, it's a documentary that follows a bunch of trappers that live in the siberian taiga. In the documentary they use a trap known as the koolyomka (a type of deadfall). Well for our youtube channel we wanted to try it out and make it.

Please note that if you watch the video there is typically 2 ways of making this trap the first is to use 2 trees Like shown here. tumblr_mw2956KIR01qbvm95o3_500.jpg

The other is to use a few long stakes to secure the 2 logs on top of each other. For our video we used the stake method as we did not want to kill trees unnecessarily. You can check it out below.

abreed05
    Where could I see the documentary ? What channels are playing it . THKS

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Here is a link to the entire feature on You tube.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...BuVf-iZGgXxgX2
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I'm glad some folks were able to reply. My friend has it on dvd. I'm not sure where he watched it originally.

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

Cool video! Some may refer to these people as primitive but that is an ingenious trap and requires only local materials.
    Geezer Squad #2

We thought it was an ingenious trap as well. Glad you enjoyed it!