Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Living in the wilderness with ATV

Question Living in the wilderness with ATV

Hey I'm looking for a place to live in the worlderness with a atv and a decent ways from society a good distance not be stopped by Rangers for having an ATV out there and being able to just live only place I can think of is a Alaska but don't know quite where at in Alaska does anybody have any ideas on a better Area in Alaska, Canada or around USA

What, is this ATV solar-powered? How do you plan to keep fuel for this ATV?
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Looks like you got your thread started. How much wilderness land are you looking to buy?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I'm just here for the show........
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

stay away from Alaska, rangers have no boundaries out there because they use atv's, planes, snow machines, horses and whatever it takes...

Why do you not want to be stopped by LEO's? hmmmm...

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Yep the school semester is about to start again and all the people that are tired of having parents, teachers and LEO, or even bosses, keeping them in line are ready to ROTTW where everything is peaceful (except for the irritating sound of ATV engines) and there is no one to tell you what to do....

or put food on your table
    or keep a roof over your head
    or wood in the stove
    or protect you from the lions tigers and bears

Someone needs to put out a flyer on facebook telling these people there is no homestead land left in Alaska and the National Parks do not allow squatting.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I've squatted many times in Nat. Parks. Wait. oh. never mind.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    " ... Someone needs to put out a flyer on facebook telling these people there is no homestead land left in Alaska and the National Parks do not allow squatting."
    What difference does that make? He said he would avoid the Rangers and LEOs. You know, just hide out when they come around. No problem.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

I have never squatted in National Parks.... oh wait... I did in Yosemite. I do however squat all the time in National Forests. Pinemartin (a member here) has a video about the best way to make a wilderness "sitting place" for when you have to drop the kids off at the pool (or in this case, the pit). Ever since I have started using Pinemartin's recommendations, and spending a good 5-10 minutes looking for the best place to squat, I have had some very enjoyable squatting experiences. Much better than any I have at home. Nice, peacefully, out in the middle of the forest.

Utah, Nevada, Montana, Arizona, Idaho...etc have many places like what you are looking for. Obviously, you will have to purchase the land to live on it. But, there is land that is surrounded by BLM. BLM generally allows ATVs, and if it is a dirt road on BLM, you can run an ATV on it... for the most part. National Forests will have ATV areas, but not all dirt roads are ATV legal. You will not be able to drive your ATV to a gas station. You will either have to put it on a trailer and tow it to a gas station, or you will have to drive a road registered vehicle to the gas station and fill up a tank. Of course, you could always pay someone to do that for you. You could get a really big tank on your land and pay someone to come and fill it up as well. Land like this generally doesn't have water on it. They might tell you that you get a certain percentage of mountain runoff for irrigation purposes.... but it won't be potable and 50% of 0 is 0. And don't expect many trees on the land either.

Check out this guy. He is actually my sister's husband's brother. For a profession, he is a software guy and was able to work anywhere he can get internet. Anyways, he bought this piece of land surrounded by BLM. He eventually quit and moved somewhere else with people and stuff. This will give you an idea of what the land is like, that I was talking about.
    Last edited by finallyME; 08-05-2016 at 12:56 PM.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

finally ME. Try "squatting" on an ammo can for 29 days in the Big Ditch. Back in the day... and "burping" the can was sooo much fun.

I am sure that is worse than squatting on an MRE box sitting under the goose neck of my trailer, waiting for someone to change their tires..... somewhere in Baghdad.

Survival enthusiast, We'll need to look at that ATV of yours. I would imagine it's a big, super deluxe model. We need to make sure width and height will fit through the doors of the float plane. If money is no object, I've seen ATV's and snowmobiles long lined under a chopper so that might be a good option too. Let me know and I can direct you to the proper place to fetch a quote.
    Off Grid and Free-My Path to the Wilderness Available on Amazon www.inthewilderness.net

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    I am sure that is worse than squatting on an MRE box sitting under the goose neck of my trailer, waiting for someone to change their tires..... somewhere in Baghdad.
    I don't even know if a MRE box leaves a groove??? Is that the little one?

I did not know MREs came in a box?

All I ever saw were packed in Mylar bags.

But I got out of the Army 15 years before the MRE was a standard item so what would I know.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 08-05-2016 at 05:37 PM.

All I know is the last time I was in a National Park an ATV ran through some squat and splattered me and Bigfoot. He was not a happy camper.

Seriously, I have just the place for you. Here is a picture of my rig. Wait. Maybe it's not. It might be a picture I swiped off the internet. I can't remember. Anyway. I'm thinking Antarctica. That's the ticket. Bring a jacket.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    I've squatted many times in Nat. Parks. Wait. oh. never mind.
    I hope you dug a hole.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

Remember, Alaska has a new rule....anyone moving there these days HAS to have a TV crew with them at all times....
    So you got yours lined up?

Oh, yeah, BTW have you got a buddy that has an ATV as well......I have never been on a ATV ride over 20 miles that someone didn't need a tow or ride back to the road.

So good luck with that.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    I did not know MREs came in a box?

All I ever saw were packed in Mylar bags.

But I got out of the Army 15 years before the MRE was a standard item so what would I know.
    I think they have increased their selection, but when I was in... they always came in a box. That is 12 MREs came in a box. There were two boxes, an "A" box and a "B" box. All that meant was which meals were in which box. There were 24 total different meals, half in each box. All the box is, is a cardboard box that is big enough to hold 12 MREs. Let me see if I can find a picture.

Since I was a truck driver, it was easy to carry them. They would tell us that we were going on a mission (that just meant we would pick up a load somewhere and drive it somewhere else). Before we left, we would go over to the MRE pallet that was stacked with MRE boxes, and load as many as we thought we needed (or more) onto our trucks. I always made sure to get the A boxes and the B boxes, instead of just 1 type. They also had water pallets with 1L bottled water in boxes stacked on a pallet. We would load those as well. The cardboard for the MREs was always really strong, and if you cut a circle out of the top, it would hold your weight.... just long enough to lay some pipe. We only did this on the road out in the middle of nowhere. After we filled the box back up like this.... we left it on the side of the road. By the way....if you are on the side of the road in Iraq, and you see a full gatorade bottle with the seal broken...don't drink it. We filled those back up as we drove. Much easier than a water bottle, and cuts down on unnecessary stopping.

KYRS, I don't know what C-rats look or taste like. And, the MRE's are different now then when I got out in 2007. Even I am getting old.

Here is a picture of pallets of MREs sitting out in the desert. They never put them in a tent or anything. They just dropped them all over the base sitting on the pallets.
    Last edited by finallyME; 08-06-2016 at 12:55 AM.

C-rats came in a packing case of 12 meals. The case was bound with copper wire and we used the pronged flash hider of the M-16 to break the wire. Everyone claimed that was the real reason for changing to the bird cage flash hider.

Each meal was in a box, which was what I was thinking about when I mentioned they came in a box.

The meal was a system of canned foods. A main dish, a fruit, bread, peanut butter/cheese/jelly (yes canned), a desert and a "comfort pack" with cigarettes, gum, TP, instant coffee or cocoa, packet of cream and sugar, book of matches. 1200 calories total. The box was about 8"x8"x2" and they were heavy! We generally stripped them down when on patrol or made each meal last for a day.

Quality was equal to any of the name brand canned goods one would buy in a supermarket, but some of the items like bread, crackers, cake PB&J and cheese can not be found in canned form in the real world.

Back in my day there was no e-mail or computer com-center for the troops. We wrote letters home.

If you tore the back off the C-rat pack you could use it as a post card. You could write a note home on the cardboard, put the address on it and it would be delivered to the intended mailbox back in the "real world" just like a snail mail letter. No stamp was required.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 08-06-2016 at 02:03 AM.