Thread: My recent projects

Tool & Die Maker

Default My recent projects

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Above is my home built reloading press made from pictures on the internet and what cam out of my own mind. It is pretty heavy duty and should deliver way more power than what is needed. The ram is 1" Tompson shafting that I had on hand in the shop and is guided by 1 1/4" OD bronze bushings mounted in precision bored holes. I incorporated extra stroke and extra press opening. The press works very well and is rock solid. Note the positive ram stop. I made it large so I could incorporate a turret die holder in the future. With the press about 90% complete I located a back woods gun shop that had Lee reloading dies on hand for the .223 rounds. The shop was a 40 mile ride on my motorcycle.

This shop was near Harvard Illinois and the shop owner was setup for conducting conceal carry classes. He would teach the conceal carry course then demonstrate reloading techniques and hopefully sell some reloading equipment. I told him I new nothing about reloading but needed a set of reloading dies for a 223. He cheerfully said, allow me to demonstrate reloading. He was great, reloaded (4) 223 rounds and we test fired them in his backyard. He was so helpful I decided to buy more than the just the 223 dies. I bought a single station Lee press, the dies and enough materials to reload 200 rounds of 223. I really wanted to get measurements from the shell holder receptacle on the ram so I could duplicate it on my own press. So far I have 100 rounds reloaded but untested.

Got to thinking since I have 2 presses I should have at least 2 shell casing holders, one for each press. The shell casing holders can be purchased from Lee for $8 each but with no work in the shop these days I decided to try making my own shell holders.

They were fun to make but it took 3 hours to make 3 shell holders. With a shop rate of $50/hr I have $50 each invested plus they need to be heat treated, but I have my own heat treat facilities as well.

I know there are several bullet pullers for sale but I made my own and it has already come in handly.
    I'll make another for the 300 blackout round tomorrow.

Above is my newest AR-15, 300 Blackout build. I purchased the kit from Daytona Tactical in June, assembled the upper but used the lower receiver from my 223 to test fire the blackout. Ordered the 80% lower receiver in July to spread out the expenses. Shells for the 300 Blackout cost 67.5 per round and the cost goes up from there. This was motivation to get into reloading.

Lets see now, this makes (2) complete AR-15s doesn't it.

Hope this was entertaining, Jim
    Last edited by jim Glass; 07-29-2016 at 12:45 AM.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

We gave you fair warning when you started this deal.

You can't own just one.

I am working on a CMP rifle right now, but I am using one I already own and modifying it to meet he competition rules.

Something to do in the AC during the mid day heat.

One thing you might consider for a shop project is a set of stepped expander rods for the .300BO to form the .30 neck from the .223 case.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Tool & Die Maker

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    We gave you fair warning when you started this deal.

You can't own just one.

Yes, I remember the warnings. The 300 blackout kit arrived 2 days after the shooting in Orlando. My wife had been complaining for days about people with AR-15s not knowing I owned one, since I forgot to tell her. She was complaining about AR-15s when the mail man delivered the 300 Blackout kit. She continued complaining while signing for the delivery She asked me what was in the box I said, "gun parts". Later that same week she came out into the shop and saw the 223 laying on the bench. Horrified she said what the hell is that? I responded, "a rifle". She says, "an AR-15". Me, "yep". Wife, "don't bring it in the house, you keep it out here".

Can someone explain what difference it makes where an AR-15 is stored? In a machine shop or a locked gun case in the house?

I afraid a 9MM AR-15 is going to follow me home some day

Thanks for the tour of the projects......and you have the love the "Well, I was bored so built a .50 BMG press.....JIC I find a deal on a Barrett....LOL ....(Psssst tell DW that the Barrett is just a "weed whacker"......)

Little tip, ...."Don't keep everything in the same place...that way no one knows what you really have...."

Kyrat warned ya, and is egging you on LOL,.... Randy is coming up with just all sorts of weird stuff.....Rick watching the news and laws, ....Crash trying out quite a few additions w/HW no less.......make a guy just sit back and say ..."Way cool, glad y'all are around"......

You know I'm about 60 mile away......?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Outstanding...........welcome to the I've got it bad club.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Since you built them you get to name them. Tell her they are JG-15s. That should ease her mind.

My wife is starting to warm up to the idea. I even took her an my oldest daughter shooting the other day. I wanted to teach them both how to use the g19 and the AR15. My wife's hands are really small, and the G19 grips proved to big for her. They fit my daughter just fine. The G19 fits me like a glove and I don't even feel the finger grooves. But, they were rubbing on the back of my wife's thumb, giving her a blister. She has to rotate her hand forward to be able to press the trigger. Anyways, she even came with me to the gun store to try out some different alternatives. The G43 seems to be a good option. They have an indoor range and rent guns and we decided to rent a bunch of different single stacks to try out before purchasing..... if we ever get money to do so.
    But, yeah..... it took a couple years of "why do you need one" to finally get one.

It is interesting that your DW is fine with all the other guns in the house in the safe, but not that one. I am sure you have much more dangerous ones sitting in the safe.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Tool & Die Maker

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    You know I'm about 60 mile away......?
    I have been wondering about that and trying to think where in Southern Wisconsin those hills could be located. Wisconsin River generates some hills but that is over 100 miles away??? Some hills between here and Milwaukee. Some hills along the Rock River and that would be within 60 miles.

Tool & Die Maker

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    It is interesting that your DW is fine with all the other guns in the house in the safe, but not that one. I am sure you have much more dangerous ones sitting in the safe.
    I have to admit I used to feel an AR-15 was rather intimidating looking. When I saw one I thought, who in the hell needs a gun like that?
    About 5 years ago My son-in-law bought an AR-15 and let me shoot it a couple of times. I realized then the AR's were nice guns. After wild hog hunting last winter I began thinking about buying a high power rifle and I wanted a semi-auto mostly for the lower recoil. Buying an AR
    in kit form was an inexpensive and fun way to have a modern rifle so now I have two of them.

I have always been fond of 9mm German Lugars. Wife was with me when I found a nice lugar for $1200. Wife encouraged me to go ahead and buy it. I don't treat myself very often. I told the wife, no, I'm not going to spend $1200 on gun just to look at, just to much money.
    The AR's have a definite purpose in my life. My shop work has slowed this year so i found a couple of places to go shooting. So instead of shooting once a month I'm shooting 2 or 3 times a week

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I started the AR quest due to the simple desire for a magazine fed bolt action rifle that would use AR magazines. What I really wanted was a Mossberg Patrol rifle.

My first trip through the pricing comparisons showed me that an AR was far cheaper than the Patrol Rifle.

Bought an AR kit and got on two or three e-mail lists and don't you know the weekly sales started flooding in!

How can you pass up a full build kit for $250? Uppers for $100? 80% lowers for $30?

Of course those prices of just a few months ago are no longer with us, but one can still build an AR cheaper than a Patrol Rifle. Simply does not make sense to me.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by jim Glass View Post
    I have been wondering about that and trying to think where in Southern Wisconsin those hills could be located. Wisconsin River generates some hills but that is over 100 miles away??? Some hills between here and Milwaukee. Some hills along the Rock River and that would be within 60 miles.
    Kinda misleading..... that my location(S) are "SE/SW Wisconsin...."
    City house in Kenosha,....."The Place" in Crawford County.......

When I first saw your location I was thinking Genoa City, WI....that's even closer.....

Nice to be able to go out in the shop and whip something up....

Have been resisting an AR build, so far..... as I know how I am......AND my neighbor out at "The Place" (from South Milwaukee) both him and his wife are "AR builders".....

Back in the day.....DW bought me a ML rifle kit and a hat.......THAT lead to several more builds, contract custom builds, and 3 complete camps...A new way of life.
    I know how I am.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27